Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Thompson Shoebox Ford Build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by el diablo, Jan 2, 2013.

1. el diablo

el diablo
    from Norco CA

What's up man. Thanks for the kind words. Yeah this is my first one. I learned to weld from a friend that used to teach welding in an off road building class. The sheet metal has just been lots of hands on and fixing shit that got screwed up. I started the car a while ago but I get to work on it in spurts. I just finished a customer car from hell so the shoebox is back in my garage and should start getting more attention soon. Im hope to hav it on the road by next year.

2. hellbound3754

hellbound3754

Nice. Thats great work. Ive been following your build. Im building a 50 shoebox currently as well.

3. el diablo

el diablo
    from Norco CA

Nice. I have a friend that lives out where you are. Can't wait to get it going so I can drive the damn thing one day. Haha. Good luck with your build and if you ever have any questions I can answer I'm glad to help.

-Dane

4. hellbound3754

hellbound3754

thanks, its most appreciated. I joined not long ago but ill have some pics of my builds up soon.

5. el diablo

el diablo
    from Norco CA

Well I finished and delivered a job from hell last weekend so this is the first weekend I have had in seven weeks to touch my car... Damn thats waaaaaay too long. Progress is slow but I welded up the door top and put the bottom off of my old door on the "new" door. The new door I got is a rotted piece of shit but it was the rite price and the only one I found in over a month of searching....and my other door was damaged so you gotta work with what ya got. It still needs the bottom welded up and a little hammer persuasion on the bottom to clear and fit properly but I will get it. Im hoping to have more time monday to finish up on the door so I can weld it all up grind it down and move on with life. My deadline to get this thing on the road is never gonna happen now but I'm still hopeful for the beginning of next year.... wish me luck.

-Dane

Attached Files:

6. hellbound3754

hellbound3754

good luck man. Nice compressor by the way

7. el diablo

el diablo
    from Norco CA

Got a little work done over the weekend. I started to grind the welds from chopping the door. I spent time grinding the new bottom section I had to put on as well... grinding takes forever. HAHA. I also rounded the door corner to match the pass side. I shaved the holes in the firewall I wont be needing and have yet to grind them.....ahhhh more grinding....

How did you guys do your gas pedal. I don't think the original set up will work with my new trans having a larger hump. Pics would be grate if anyone has or can take one and post it for me.

Thanks
    -Dane

Attached Files:

8. el diablo

el diablo
    from Norco CA

I have been trying to put hours in on the weekend as best I can. My car slowly starting to rust away from sitting outside... HAHA I worked on fitting and gapping the trunk this weekend. I don't know about you guys but my deck lid fit like shit with a huge gap on the driver side and touching in other spots around the lid... I have seen pics of other shoeboxes with less than perfect gaps around the trunk as well but mine seemed exceptionally bad.

-Dane

Attached Files:

9. BRENT

BRENT

I dont think there is a gap on my box that was within spec, from doors to hood to trunk, I dont think they were to concerned back in the day with fitment. If you look in the green bible they use a 4x4 piece of wood that you put on the fender and "tweak" the trunk lid while closing the trunk on the wood. good luck

10. el diablo

el diablo
    from Norco CA

Yeah my doors need help as well. I have used the 4x4 trick a time or two. Haha

11. I ran into the same problem. So being the cheap bastard that i am i just reconfigured the original and shortened it a lot. Still using the original return spring but strung a after market throttle cable. Worked out good.

Attached Files:

12. el diablo

el diablo
    from Norco CA

Thanks for the pic tedley! I was thinking of ordering one from speedway and just making it work. My tunnel is basically the same as your so I'm sure my set up will be similar. Nice build by the way.

Thanks.

-Dane

13. Your welcome and thanks. By the way, make sure your cable is not straight to the carb linkage but off to one side a bit because of the engine torque movement.
    Glad you like my car.:)

14. forgot to include a pic. Oh i'm going to disguise that billet look somehow. Maybe just paint it or something.

Attached Files:

15. hellbound3754

hellbound3754

16. el diablo

el diablo
    from Norco CA

I have been swamped doing work for customers and trying to save for winter so I can get back after it if and when work slows down. I don't have any good progress to report but my motor is rebuilt and just waiting on my manifold to get powder coated and a few other small things. I also got all my brake parts I ordered over a month ago to rebuild my front brakes. I have boring stuff to do so I'm not going to boar everyone with lame pics. I will post when I peak the hood and a few other mods before I get into body so ill start posting again when I'm back at it. Thanks for inquiry and yes I'm gonna get back on it in the next coming months I hope.

How is your car going hellhound?

17. the-rodster

the-rodster

I hear ya.

Mine wouldn't even close, it touched on BOTH sides.

I had to widen the opening about a quarter of an inch on both sides.

Rich

18. hellbound3754

hellbound3754

it's going good. had the car down for a month and was able to do the c-notch, lower the rear a few more inches, drive shaft tunnel, repair all the rust in the floors, install fatmat and some other stuff. Working like a mad man in the garage after my daughter goes to sleep at night. ill try to put up a few pics of my work. did the best work I could with the time I had. I needed to get my other car back in the garage.

Attached Files:

19. hellbound3754

hellbound3754

here is a before shot of the ride hight.it was also rubbing the drive shaft before I did the tunel

Attached Files:

20. hellbound3754

hellbound3754

some before pics before i ripped it apart for a month

Attached Files:

21. hellbound3754

hellbound3754

after

Attached Files:

22. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

23. el diablo

el diablo
    from Norco CA

Thanks buddy palumbo! The pics above are not my ride tho... HAHA but im sure you knew that. Im gonna get back after it soon! My motor is rebuilt and is gonna go back in shortly. I also finally got all my brake shit from jamco so my car should run and stop soon. I want to make it run and move so I can pull it in and out of my garage so I can work on it a little at a time or on weekends with out having to push out my customer car and then push my pile in...... work all day and the push both cars around at the end of my day..... F that.

24. spiderdeville

spiderdeville
    from BOGOTA,NJ

why would another car/owner piggyback this here thread ??? sheesh

25. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

LOL - I got all f'ed up seeing the pics & didn't notice who posted 'em ! Wishful thinking , I guess :) !
    I know what you're saying about constantly pushing cars around - do it all the time at work ... damn old cars , Ha Ha !

26. el diablo

el diablo
    from Norco CA

HAHA yeah thats what I thought. Thanks tho but yeah this is me rite now.

Attached Files:

27. el diablo

el diablo
    from Norco CA

But here is what we have to look forward to........37 chevy paint pics.. and yes I painted this in my home garage......fixed and finished the bad chop....but sadly no its not my car... just whats to come of my shoebox..... I hope.

-Dane

Attached Files:

28. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

Damn nice paintwork !

29. hellbound3754

hellbound3754

sorry guys, should have "pm" my stuff.my bad

30. el diablo

el diablo
    from Norco CA

Thanks Buddy Palumbo. Im still kinda new to paint. Im a sheet metal guy that got sick of customer cars and projects not getting finished due to paint and body so I learned a new skill and now I do that more than metal shaping. I cant wait to shoot something for myself but that car turned out nice. The owner is making more of a street rod out of it but hell its his car.

Hellbound your pics are fine here. When I get the time again and start posting it will be to the point that everyone will be sick of my build again.HAHA Winter is usually slow for me so thats when I boogie on my own shit....