Register now to get rid of these ads!

51 chev vin stamp help!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by thewaxhead, Sep 12, 2013.

1. thewaxhead

thewaxhead

Hi guys

I am from Australia and importing a vehicle from California (El Segundo)

Clear title and everything set to go. BUT I need a photo of the VIN on the chassis/body to complete my import papers...in my case the VIN is not the body number

Problem being the engine block number is the vin # on my title, hence it can not be found on the body :confused:

I need the contact of somebody who is able to stamp the vin number on the chassis- it needs to be 3/4" or 3/8" size and fairly clear/ original looking.

Car is located in El Segundo at a friends house, any leads please PM me if you can help! Australian authorities are so strict with this stuff.

Thank You!

Last edited: Sep 12, 2013
  2. Sqeaky Hinge

Sqeaky Hinge

The vin is on the driver's pillar post next to the windshield , I have never heard of the vin being on the engine block of a GM vehicle...I know this because I own a '51 Chevy Fleetline , and the VIN plate is on the driver's pillar post , sounds like something fishy is going on in El Segundo....

3. thewaxhead

thewaxhead

Yes you are correct, but the that's the body number...the vin number on my title is actually the original 216 engine number, and it has been registered like that for many years

4. The body number is on the tag on the firewall. The car serial number is on the A-post. If it's registered on the engine number, and the engine is gone, you have a problem.

5. chinarus

chinarus
    from Georgia

I had a 48 chevy that the titled serial # was based on the original engine number which presented a problem because the engine was changed.
    The body VIN # was on a small metal plate on the passenger door A pillar by the lower hinge.
    Same location on a 46 but a different state titled it based on that number.

6. thewaxhead

thewaxhead

So it all got sorted out eventually?

I have researched the Hamb in detail for information regarding my situation. What I can gather is engine number ahs been the vin on the title since day 1 of registration... but the original 216 is long gone.

I know a fair bit of the history of this car in question, and I don't believe for one minute anything suspect has occurred.

Is anyone familiar with what size the chassis numbers on later chevs are stamped with? I have been told roughly 1/2" ?

7. I imported a '47 Chev last year, and someone had put their own plate on the passenger door jamb , and it looked like a newly printed kinda plate.
    The number stamped on there was the same as the "vehicle ID number" on the title. Maybe all you need is one of those plates (you may be able to get one locally and stamp it with your number and then mail it to the US and get them to pop rivet it on.)
    All my import approval, etc , used this number.
    Good Luck!

8. FiddyFour

FiddyFour

stamping numbers on a car chassis or a plate and pop riveting it to the body without state inspection is not legal in most states i have heard of... please use caution and sense

9. thewaxhead

thewaxhead

Sounds like a similar type of situation to me, thank you for your input- gives me some positive vibes. Everything will work out, just a headache not having the car in my possession to do it myself!

Thanks

10. Swifster

Swifster

In the US, cars were titled in different ways depending on the state. GM's divisions also had different ways of putting the serial numbers on the car. Buicks and Cadillacs of those eras had the serial number stamped on the engine. Chevrolet had the number on the 'A' pillar. The engine number on a Chevrolet is just that; an engine number. The frames were never stamped.

11. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

for the early 50's cars, Title was matched to the engine, not the body. I have heard rumors of a number being on the top of the frame under the cowl/ door area (but no way to see it with the body on). over the winter I am taking the body off the frame on my car, so I hope to find one (verify it is there or not).

I have seen people put data plates on the door jamb when the motor is missing.

12. I am not sure what kind of a paper trail you have but is there any chance you could convince the California DMV to assign a VIN (ID?) plate and have them attach it to the door?

Charlie Stephens

13. High5

High5

And you would be right. Cars were titled with the engine serial number.

Bought a '51 Chevy and the title showed the 216 engine serial number. The engine was changed to a 235 and they never changed the title. I had to run the car through the State Patrol for an inspection. Protocol normally calls for the title's VIN number to be loaded into a "Hot List" that is visible by all law enforcement agencies across the US. After three years, if nobody steps forward to claim the car, it's yours. If somebody does declare the car stolen, then you hand over the keys and the car. In my case I got lucky and they wrote it up as an administrative error so I didn't have to wait the three years.

Boones mentioned the serial number stamped on the frame. I believe that is the same number as noted on the "A" pillar. So it won't help in this case.

Have your friend contact the California State Patrol and find out what options you have for correcting it. I suspect they will want to see the car. But it's worth a call to find out.

The auxillary VIN plate somebody mentioned is the correction plate they use when changing the VIN number to match the car and title.

14. thewaxhead

thewaxhead

That is an alternative I want to leave to last, seeing as im all the way in Australia... But if need be I will need to get over there sort it out. But thank you for the idea

15. thewaxhead

thewaxhead

Thank you for your input, very informative. I would hope that I don't have to wait three years! But as I hear, the DMV Is a painstakingly annoying agency to deal with, just like Australia's Roads and Traffic Authority.

16. cavman

cavman

As far as numbers never being stamped on Chevy frames....I have a '53 with numbers on the frame in 2 spots that I have found. Both on drivers side. Same number thats on the little plate on the A pillar.

17. thewaxhead

thewaxhead

Ok, perhaps its not from factory, or perhaps it is- no idea seeing as im 24. Thank youf or your input. All of this is helping me bit by bit.

This car will come to Australia one way or another, It is a legal car in CA I have just got to show AUS authorities some proof. all good. thanks for the hamb for your info!

18. cavman

cavman

Just to add to this.. the numbers on my frame are factory stampings, they match the numbers on the "A' pillar plate, AND they match the ID number on my title. No engine numbers were used to register it 10 years ago. I assume my state considered them to be VIN numbers. The title I got with the car was issued in the late 50's in another state.

So much for using engine numbers (as I thought) for GM cars before '55. I don't know if this info helps you, it just explains my particular situation.

19. its like that in some countries in Europe

registering cars w/ their engine numbers .. along w/ their vin