Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Upholstery question?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by dsiddons, Sep 16, 2013.

1. dsiddons

dsiddons
    from Indiana

Sewing one inch pleats with 3/4 sew foam. Problem I see is the stitch is pulling thru (cutting) the foam? My stitches are pretty tight. Do I need the stitches to be further apart? Would fabric behind the foam help? Thanks ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1379385951.435488.jpg

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

2. milner142790

milner142790

You either need fabric backed foam or put se fabric behind it.. Easiest way is to use spray adhesive and attach it to the foam so you have as little as possible trying to move around while sewing. Also might want to to a test piece for the stitch length and see what you like best and works best!

3. 33sporttruck

33sporttruck

Glue or laminate cloth to the backside of the foam to prevent the stitches from cutting or pulling through the foam. You can use a soft old cotton bed sheet or go to the Fabric Store and buy a few yards of light weight cotton muslin cloth.
    I your sewing machine is adjustable (for stitch length) start at 5 or 6 stitches per inch. This will make your stitches just a bit over 1/8 inch per stitch.
    from experience 3/4 thick foam is a bit thick for 1 inch pleats and that is one of the reasons that your stitches are cutting the foam on the backside.
    If you are using the 3/4 foam trying to achieve a nice plush (thick) pleat you would be better off doing the roll and pleat method instead of the top stitch method.
    I could not tell from your picture what method of stitching you are using.
    Your pleats look fairly straight so hang in there !!! Always do a scrap test panel when adjusting your stitch length................. Good Luck, Jeff

4. dsiddons

dsiddons
    from Indiana

Jeff, yes a top stitch. I want tight pleats so that why I chose 1 inch and 3/4 foam. I'm just starting out here so I'm keeping it simple as possible. I will try loosening the stitch and using fabric on the back side of the foam. Thanks for the input. I'm having fun with it..

5. garth slater

garth slater
    from Melbourne

Yep I just use some calico or light cotton . I give the cotton and foam a light spray of contact adhesive and that stops foam tearing

6. dolsen37

dolsen37
    from Nebraska

Fabric (mesh) backed foam is your answer. You can buy it at the upholstery supply house.

7. Check out the upholstery group in the "community" section.
    Great info there as well. Hang with it, looking good!

8. Canuck

Canuck

Use to help a friend that was a upholsterer. He would use different weights of material as a backing, quite often using surplus vinyl for a real pronounced pleat. Most of the work was back-sewen stuffed pleats.

Canuck

9. You are going to have to use a thin material on the back side of the foam. HRP

10. dsiddons

dsiddons
    from Indiana

Ok I will redue it with fabric backing and back off the stitches a bit (less per inch). P.S. I can't access that upholstery group from this damn app! Thanks everyone..