Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features 1958-60 Thunderbird Picture thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by gassercrazy41, Nov 6, 2011.

1. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

Hated them back then.....dig em' now!

2. roadkillontheweb

roadkillontheweb

I have a few new images to share on this thread of 1959 Thunderbird Juniors.
    One photo shows the top prize in a Christmas drawing a 1959 Gas powered Thunderbird JR. One of the Pretzel company that took Juniors and modified them for track use at fairs and amusement parks and two ads from companies using them to promote business via drawings.

Attached Files:

3. marc33

marc33

Here is mine, love this dang car :) ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1371789940.493485.jpg

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

4. Just bought a tbird myself looking to rebuild it into a Watson tribute, anyone got a good shot of the tyres on the vino? Ive worked out that they are firestone 8.00 14 on the second version, anyone know what they were on the original?

Attached Files:

5. What u think of my friend Freddes cool mild-wild 60 T-bird?

I think its BAD!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. roadkillontheweb

roadkillontheweb

Been working on reproduction grille insert and taillight panels for the 1959 Thunderbird JR. Someone loaned me their warped and broken originals to use as a pattern. Just need to vacuum form the parts and they will be ready to go. A Larry Watson inspired build will be in the works for the Petersen Museum JR car exhibit.

Attached Files:

7. froghawk

froghawk

Norrland, your buddy's car looks cool! Deserves shiny paint and better taillights!

Love these cars...

Since a real one is not a possibility in my current life, I'm forced to satisfy my squarebird lust in 1/25th scale. AMT '59 3 'n 1 kit with repro '58 promo bumpers and variation 7,007 on Larry's classic panel job.....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

guthriesmith likes this.
  8. Chuckie Dee

Chuckie Dee

Just bought a '58 last fall. Nice to see I've got some company out there.

9. Chuckie Dee

Chuckie Dee

DSCN2513.jpg Here she is ready to be torn down to her skivvies.

10. Here's my candy red 1960 J-code with #match 430cid

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. squeaky32

squeaky32

id like to see more pics on this thread, about to start building one for the gf and would like all the ideas i could find

12. topdeadcenter

topdeadcenter

To the top for 2014.

Any other Squarebird's out there in HAMB-land? The stylists incorporated a ton of "custom" cues from the builders in the early '50s. Like buckets with tuck and roll inserts, slammed to the ground from the factory (compared to other Fords of the same and previous years), integrated door handles, etc) Then ford dropped a decent power plant between the front wheels, gave it a four barrel carb and dual exhaust and called it done. Unfortunately, the small bird lovers HATED this new 4 seater and that it why it has always dwelled in obscurity in the rod and custom scene (except for the Watson bird).

Mine is supposed to be a one year only color "Brandywine", but it is darker than the original color and it has a ton of gold flake and pearl in the paint. The roof is colonial white with a ton of pearl. The original color was a light gold metallic (not two tone). I like it better this way. It NEEDS wide whites soon!

Attached Files:

13. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

I need to take some real pictures!. This is a '60 with numbers matching and the factory sun roof. Only real changes were Coker wires, aftermarket air and I removed the skirts.

Attached Files:

14. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Gonna pull the A/S with it?

Brian

15. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Better get some update pics of my '59 up here! Serious work over the winter got the '63 Caddy headlights in, bumpers fitted, tucked in, quarter panels reworked to carry the character line or side-spear all the way to the bumper, and two-piece skirts made. Another project for a friend put it on hold the past three weeks, but I'm close to having it ready for primer in a week or so.

Brian

Attached Files: