Register now to get rid of these ads!

Insurance question.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Al Baker, Sep 16, 2013.

1. I'm thinking of switching away from JC Taylor to Grundy.
    Advice of best old car insurance is welcomed.
    Al

2. 117harv

117harv

3. M224SPEED

M224SPEED
    from Missouri

Had Grundy for years,read the policy about a dozen times and the medical coverage stinks..............went to Hagerty,much better coverage and priced about the same.

I have 5 cars insured with them,plus the towing and parts replacement they have is great.

4. 1954Bill

1954Bill
    from Long Beach

I have Grundy and they just payed out for a little fender bender with no problem ! didn't even say a thing! called them after my fender bender and they handled tho whole thing! no biggies

5. Thanks guys - all good input.
    I guess it's all about the fine print because everyone seems to have their own experience. So far JCT wouldn't give me the value I wanted; Hagerty would but for over double my premium with JCT - Grundy would for just a slightly higher rate than JCT - so I'm still sorting it all out but it's starting to look like you need a laywer, accountant and fortune teller?
    I always hafta' remind myself that insurance companies are in business to make money$$$$$.
    Al

6. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

I had Hagerty back in 2000. 4 years later, I switched to Grundy at half the price. Then the local Grundy agent didn't mail in my premiums and I almost got canceled. Turns out he closed his office and started working out of his house. I switched to Heahcock and my rates went up. As soon as the policy was done, I went back to Grundy direct and my rates dropped. As for poor medical coverage, I have my own so I'm not concerned.

7. 5window

5window

Well, you'll certainly get a lot of answers and opinions, just nothing definitive as "your experience might vary". My Nationwide (OT) agent also carries both Hagerty and American Modern (Classic Car). The quotes came back within $10 and I stick with AM because it had better coverage besides the cars' value and it would stack my coverages -so that while each car has 100/300K coverage for liability-I actually get 400/1.2mil-which I hope I never need. I also have the Full Tort option, which is a can of worms in PA, but gives me peace of mind.

So I have two OT cars, my '31 and another old, but non-Hamb, car on 2 different policies but with linked liability coverage. If you have a good insurance agent that you like,I'd contact them for some quotes. At the end of the day, I know my local agent will go to bat for me where-as any insurance company just sees me as a policy number.

8. Nocero

Nocero

I know there has been a bunch of these threads but as long as this is at the top, has anyone used Chrome? I have seen a lot of advertising from them lately in magazines.

9. I have ANPAC's Chrome coverage on both of my '40 Fords. Rates are great, they didn't argue with me over my stated values and I have no complaints, however, I have never made any claims. When they initially rolled out the program, you had to have other lines with them, however, they have now dropped that stipulation.

One thing that I am doing my darndest to take advantage of:

10. Dane

Dane
    from Soquel, CA

I'd rather pay extra for a policy that gives me what I want. The truth cannot be known until you file a claim and see how they pay and treat you. 99% of the time the cheapest is cheap for a reason that causes regrets in the long run. A $10/month difference is not worth haggling about if it buys peace of mind.

11. no55mad

no55mad

Using Chrome here - changed home ins with them also for better rates. The rates are awesome. You can agree up to $25K w/o an appraisal. No claims yet - they do not cover all states - their home office is in Mo.

12. I'm gonna have to shop around , I have Hagerty , That is the only one offered here in Big city Montana, locally , At Buzz and Jethro's insurance and Bait Shop.... No, It really ain't that bad , some places up here even have indoor plummin' an' lectricity,
    I Think Hagerty is $160 a year for $15000 value on the 55 of my Avatar, Joe

13. yblock292

yblock292

Had JC taylor for years,switched to Hagerty, probably at least 10 years ago, you just can't beat'um on customer service and price. I have 6 or 7 cars covered with them and last year my bill dropped about $75 bucks!

14. fordor41

fordor41

I tried to get Taylor to insure my stock '41 Ford and they said to contact them when it was fully restored! Went to Hagerty and have had 2 claims with no questions asked except pictures. Also none of that parade/ car shows only crap.

15. ArtofHotRod

ArtofHotRod

classic underwritters ... Thats were most of the Grundy gang went to

16. mustang6147

mustang6147
    from Kent, Ohio

I really like State Farm

17. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

I've always said good things about Grundy in the past, but have never had a claim, so my only experience is that I sent them money and they insured my car. But I have to say I haven't met many companies who are as disorganized as they are on the phone...........IF you can actually get a human on the phone !

Case in point. When I joined them in 2011 I sent them the necessary pictures and information and they said they had them. When I called a week later to check on the progress they said they couldn't find any of it. After going around and around I told them to cancel my application and I was going to Haggerty. Right after that a man who said he was the Vice President called me and apologized, said he found my information, and would I please consider staying with them..........so I did and have had coverage for the past couple of years, but no claims.

Fast forward to this past couple of weeks. My Son renewed his policy with them and asked that they (a) correct his address because they had it wrong on the policy, and (b) email him a copy of the card so he would have it. It never came, so he called back and a person said they would do it immediately. It never came either, so he called back a day later. This time he got a supervisor who said they would do it immediately. It never came ! :mad:

I had some time and Dan was doing this from work, so I called Grundy and the phone system kept hanging up on me. I finally found another number and went in through a different department and a girl there sounded helpful and said she would get it done immediately. It never came. Dan called back and got another guy on the phone and he sent the email, but the address was STILL WRONG ! So he called back. This time a guy there actually sent it with the correct address. But then some of the other emails that were promised started coming in but the address on all of those was wrong too !

I am really concerned that if I ever, God forbid, have an actual claim, that I will be going through a similar nightmare with their office. I can't remember ever dealing with such a messed up office staff anywhere.........all promises and no action. They blamed it at one time on the switchover from the old insurance company, but that was 2 years ago, so that is pure BS.

When my policy expires in June I think I am switching to Haggerty.

Don

18. oldwood

oldwood
    from arkansas

I switched to Grundy after I found out they would cover my Daily Driver if I had my Antique car insured with them. They saved me a LOT OF MONEY on my DD and my Antique car was about the same as Hagarty. I'm paying 439/yr for 7k coverage on my 60 Plymuoth and liabilty, uninsured, underinsured for my DD.

19. fordcragar

fordcragar
    from Yakima WA.

I switched to Grundy after Farmers said that they wouldn't cover my old cars anymore; which they had for nearly 20 years. About that time Grundy started covering daily drivers, so I switched everything over to them. I have 5 cars insured through Grundy and have better coverage than I had before for less money.

20. larry k

larry k

don,,,,, i had the very same problems trying to get signed up with grundy, prolly from the same guy, it was all the same as you said, i just gave up... something was allways wrong , i just got scared that i would have a wreck and the same thing would happen when i did,??????????????? so i backed out ????????????:eek:

21. I have Grundy & have never had a problem. A pretty large claim & a smaller one. Paid off great & never a problem getting in touch with claims people. I sold a couple of cars & dropped them off the policy & they sent a verification within a few weeks. So far I'm happy with Grundy & their service.
    I had Hagerty till they upped my premium for added road service which I didn't ask for.

22. oldsman41

oldsman41

a lot of guys here in ohio have state farm myself included but I know some guys have told me the agent may have to be an old car guy to get you the right coverage. don't know about that.

23. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Like I mentioned, I have little to judge them by claim wise because I have never had one, but their office professionalism really is concerning me. 4 different people promised to get the address corrected and to email a copy.......all 4 never did either. Finally, one guy there did both for him and it only took a few minutes.

The reason we needed the address corrected is that any mail they send us gets returned.

Don

24. I too have ANPAC's Chrome and they are a first class company,I have agreed value on all three hot rods and I also have builders insurance on a non operable car that I am building and it is reasonable and if for some reason my shop burns to the ground the car is insure for 14 grand.

Don't fool yourself into thinking your home owners insurance will cover a builder,a good friend learned the hard way it won't,,,BTW,,he was insured through state farm!:rolleyes: HRP

25. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

I have had Grundy for several years with no problems. I have had contact with them twice in the past few months, once about car I sold and then again about the potential purchase of another rod. They were professional and I had no problem with reaching them. I do know of a guy that had his car totaled and had Haqerty. They had a check to him in like two weeks with no hassels. I think they are both pretty good.

26. 5window

5window

In PA, we have the joyous decision of Full Tort vs Limited Tort which limits your ability to sue in an accident (too complicated for this thread). American Modern gets me stacked coverage and Full Tort, while keeping my general insurance agent.