Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Dick Dean boat-tail Hudson custom!

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by yorgatron, Mar 31, 2006.

1. yorgatron

yorgatron
    Member Emeritus

owned and built by Bill Albright,the serious metal fab was Dick Dean.

Attached Files:

mgtstumpy likes this.
  2. the-rodster

the-rodster

That's a beautiful car!

I like how they ditched the running boards, and the golf clubs door is a nice touch.

Classy.

Rich

3. Squablow

Squablow

I like it too, something different. I bet they used a 40's era car hood to make the boattail. Looks like they even retained the hood center trim strip from whatever was the donor for it. Very coachbuilt looking. Sits kinda tall, though.

4. BigJim394

BigJim394

I was thinking the same thing. Looks somewhat like the shape of a 40 Ford hood, but it could have been from a number of 40s era cars.

5. southsider

southsider
    from Pella, IA

I was thinking a 40/41 Willys might have donated its hood to the cause.

6. McGrath

McGrath

Workmanship looks great on it, and its a good idea; but it doesn't compare with the true Coachbuilt cars IMO. The side and rear views are too "boxy" looking, where any Coachbuilt car would "Flow" no matter which direction you looked at it.

7. Avg.Joe

Avg.Joe

I pick up most of my Hudson parts from Bill and trade parts I don't need. He is very educated on Hudson, Essex and Terraplane and a helpfull guy. Behind the building in the photo he has a couple acre's jammed packed with parts, junk cars, restorable and restored Hudsons. probably 70 total. when I walk through his place It defenatly feels like American " History".

Joe

8. Bumpstick

Bumpstick

Nice car. It looks a little boxy though. Drop it, slope that tail a bit and put the running boards back. -stick
    [​IMG]

9. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

Hey,

Not all coachbuilt cars always got the line correct! Much like customs, it
    depended on who's vision made it to steel. Some of the French and English
    stuff bordered on just plain bizzar! Even some of Boman and Schwartz's
    post war cars were a bit off.

Swankey Devils C.C.

10. 51 pickem up

51 pickem up
    from mosheim,tn

11. DrJ

DrJ

Hey, I've got that '39 Ford Deluxe hood out under the Juniper tree...
    Maybe it'd fit on the back of the GMC....:cool:

12. uc4me

uc4me

Looks to me like they used a 41-47 hudson hood for the basis of the rear deck...would make sense since bill owns the car.

13. hudsonjoe49

hudsonjoe49

I built that car, me and Dick Dean collaborated to make it just like Bill's drawing. It was a fun car to build and drive. I put an Inline 8 and a Hudson trans. with a jeep toploader. Dick Dean did most of the metal work and I had to do the finish work. I begged Bill to paint the car oxblood but he refused. I wanted to paint it again but it sat in the Laughlin museum for years. I was also going put 1937 Cord wheels on it with the oxblood paint, that would have looked very classy. I'll see if i can find some under construction shots of the boat tail at Dick's shop in San Jacinto.

14. hudsonjoe49

hudsonjoe49

It was an old 37 Terraplane sedan that I cut up, we used for sets of 37 hudson rear fenders and a 41 hood for the boat tail. Bill loved to play golf so he told Dick to make him a golf bag door and storage. I cringed when he told me he wanted the color of the car antique cream and orange. But what can you do.

15. hudsonjoe49

hudsonjoe49

The 1E10 license plate stood for one experimental, one off. We built some fun stuff we when we had the time. Most of the time we were very busy building factory spec. cars. I also built a sport custom out of a 40 Hudson sedan and a 1940 Hudson truck but turned it into a short bed. These were all fun projects that I did on the side. I will post pics soon. I have to find them in my library.

16. Looking forward to your pics HudJoe !

17. hudsonjoe49

hudsonjoe49

Well here are some pics as promised. I had to dig real deep for these. I found some old love letters from past crazy girlfriends too, hahaha. The first pic is at Dick's shop. The rest of the pics are at the Hudson Twin-H-Ranch where I learned to build concourse restorations and build some fun one off cars and some Kustoms. I will dig for more pics. I have boxes of them. Enjoy!!!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 17, 2013
    mgtstumpy likes this.
  18. Here's another one.......made from two 46 Hudsons..........built in Aurora, MO by a fellow I knew and some of his friends. Featured in Motor Trend in 1952.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

mgtstumpy likes this.
  19. sierra rod shop

sierra rod shop

20. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks, HudsonJoe49 that really lets guys see how that car came together.

I'm with you, that car really needs Oxblood or some other dark color rather than the doesn't show the dirt as much beige that is on it. It looks like a fun car to just get in and drive.

mgtstumpy likes this.
  21. atomickustom

atomickustom

You KNEW that guy?? I've had that magazine for years and years and always wondered what happened to the car. Next time I see your car at a local cruise I am going to try to track you down and talk about this car!

22. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Nice looking car. I'd have the rear slope more, but still a cool car.