Register now to get rid of these ads!

Broken installer tool in Crank 350 Chevy

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by custom50, Jun 8, 2013.

1. I dont think that would work if the broken peice was bottomed out tight in the hole or if it was to deep down the threaded area,you couldnt get enough angle on your punch.
    Using a guide as suggested and pilot drill steady,steady would be the way to go
    IMHO.
    Good luck either way.

2. groundpounder

groundpounder
    Member Emeritus

Noticed the cam plate lock tabs as well. Also noticed the pressed in oil galley plug behind the cam gear. You might want to check the back side of the cam gear. It might have clearanced itself already above that galley plug. Some blocks need to be relieved before those double roller gears are installed. Also when installing the stock style timing cover, if you cut that front oil pan seal inner rail lip where it meets the pan gasket at at a 45 degree angle...the cover slides back on easy.....hope everything works out for ya!

3. custom50

custom50
    from Indiana

Thanks to all of you for giving tips, I read and try to make sure this does not happen again, it's been a long road that I hope the end is near.

groundpounder,

I hope if any other car guys/gals that have problems will look through this thread for some really good tips, and advice.

31Vicky with a hemi,

Once again you have given me information that has helped me, I didn't even notice the tabs on the cam bolts, I went back to look at my pictures and saw they were not close to the bolts.

eugene vik,

With the engine in the car I don't have a lot of room. Even though I have broken one installer tool, I'm going to try again but with more precautions. A Machinist friend told me about some pressing lube I can't think of right now but somewhere I have it written down.

Not one day goes by that I don't think of my brother that was a Vietnam Vet, just this morning I was telling my wife that it has already been 7 years that he died from Agent Orange, his body had cancer all through it. He was 62 years old, so seeing your signature accept my gratitude for serving our Country, and I wish you the best. I was in the U.S. Army from 64-67 but I stayed State side.

DrJ,

This site has really been the best for helping guys like me that love cars but just never acquired the knowledge that I woud like to have had. I take all of the tips, and advice very serious.

Thanks to all
    custom50

4. custom50

custom50
    from Indiana

Thanks again, something else I didn't notice, I have been so focused on the new oil pan, gasket, timing cover I haven't noticed anything else.

This time I bought a cast aluminum cover, I hope it will have clearance, I didn't like the cheap chrome one that had bolts that had a special socket and washers that would split when torque.

Thanks again, if anything else is visible let me know, I'm not a guy that don't like to be told of making mistakes.

custom50

5. cb1

cb1
    from Wisconsin

As mentioned earlier, I did have trouble installing a SFI balancer. Tried twice. Stopped before breaking anything. Brother is a machinist. Found a taper in the balancer. He machined it for a tight fit, cant remember how many thousands undersized, but it pulled right on when I got it back.

On another note, many of the newer GM V6's are slip fit and come off by hand. Of course they are held on by a bolt.

And I have had many older SBC's without any bolt.

Good deal you got it fixed correctly. Anything short of that, I would have worried about it every time I took it for a ride. I'm OCD.

cb1

6. txturbo

txturbo

That just sounds sooo wrong.......

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

7. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

The left hand drill bit trick, and if it doesn't move, pick up a left hand tap, and a bolt to match. Tightening the lefthand bold, may get your broken piece out.

4TTRUK

8. custom50

custom50
    from Indiana

I was not able to work on the car today, hope to get back on it Monday or Tuesday. I did what I do best today sit on a riding mower and cut for 3 1/2 hours.

cb1,

I couldn't believe how easy the adaptor was broken, looking back I think most of it was my fault.

txturbo,

I started with the left hand bits going up to the largest size I had. Then I used regular bits, it took a long time but it came out without damaging the threads.

40FordGuy,

When I finished I was able to run a tap all the way though, and the bolt went in fine.

This is what's left of the adaptor.

adaptor.JPG

adaptor2.JPG

adaptor3.JPG

adaptor4.JPG

Thanks
    custom50

9. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

well dang I was hoping some of the Indy guys would stand up and come lend a hand by now.
    custom50 keep at it if I was closer I would swing by and help out.

10. custom50

custom50
    from Indiana

Thanks, I wish you were closer also I would take you up on that. A guy that works out of his garage has been telling me for a year that he would do it. I offered him $400 if he would finish the balancer and the transmission leak but all he said was "I wouldn't charge you that much".

I had to try to fix it myself I'm getting older by the minuet.

Thanks
    custom50

11. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Well if you don't get it handled buy the weekend give me a shot.
    The wife and I need to get out of town for a break.

12. custom50

custom50
    from Indiana

Thanks, I have a Dr. appointment first thing Monday morning, and then I have to have another surgery that I wasn't counting on.

I'm pretty much ready to give it one more shot, this time with the help from this site I'm better equipped with knowledge.

The pressing lube I was trying to think of is sunnen b-200, a friend that's a Machinist said I could use his spray can, he said it really helps.

The first time I tried to put the old back on. Now everything is new, I just have to clean up the end of the crank.

Thanks again
    custom50

13. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

14. custom50

custom50
    from Indiana

hot rods ta hell

First I like your user name. When I was in junior high I was reading the book, and I never finished it.

When I was dating before I got married I was watching the movie hot rods to hell with my girl friend at my place. The TV belong to my girl friend. Her mother wasn't too found of me at the time, she came in like a storm unplugged the TV and left without saying a word. I gave up on trying to finish the book or watch the movie.

Years later my wife found a copy of the book and I still haven't finished reading it. I guess I may be superstitious.

Yeah I took the installer back and the manager gave me about $30 off from a new battery. I'm going to rent one tomorrow.

I just had to mention the story about my now deceased mother in-law may she rest in peace. Out of three sons in-law she ended up knowing I was number one.

Thanks
    Custom50

15. custom50

custom50
    from Indiana

This is worth the time to read

I went to the garage after my Dr. appointment, the new timing cover will not have clearance. I was going to put the old one back on after cleaning it, but seen the chain was loose. Got upset shut down the garage went in the house, checked my e-mail, and this is what my friend sent from the old neighborhood.

"I don’t normally share my personal challenges, as I know everyone has struggles complications in daily life, and I never want anyone to feel pity for me. On top of that I would much rather share my joy and excitement with you, which will follow. Today I would like to share with you of a challenge I have been struggling with. Some may relate as you too may be going through a similar situation or previously experienced. My disability is very visible, however there are others who have hidden disabilities. I am sharing this to educate, enlighten and to inspire. Those that know me know that I have been paralyzed for 25 years and am confined to an electric wheelchair. To those that do not, I broke my neck at age 19 in a motor vehicle accident leaving me mostly paralyzed.

Three years ago I had a new challenge that continued to add to my plate of struggles, a pressure sore. Sitting in a wheelchair for long durations will cause tissue damage. While most of my years living with a disability I remained physically healthy. This year was different. Whether it was my aging or defective medical equipment or just the simple fact that I keep busy.

A pressure sore is different than a normal cut or bruise as it affects the tissue under the skin. This is the tissue needed to bring healing nutrients to the rest of the body. Once these tissues are damaged a much longer healing process occurs. In addition any continued pressure slows or further damages the wound. So in 2010 after receiving my first pressure sore I began the long process of healing. I spent over a year of my life confined to a bed. Only seeing family and a handful of friends. Those that know me see me as a very active and energetic person and this year seem to pull the carpet out from under my feet. I went from total freedom to complete isolation…even prisoners get an hour outside each day. Netflix became my companion and popcorn my diet of choice as I watched endless movies it seemed.
    Some weeks I would get encouraged as the nurse would tell me the wound was getting smaller, then to be disappointed by one set back and then another. What I thought would take a few days to heal turned into weeks, weeks turned into months and then a year. After a year I received plastic surgery, which really helped speed up the healing process. Awaiting the surgery the Doctor came to my bedside to explain exactly what he was going to do to my bottom. After being laid up so long I told the doctor he could do anything he wanted as long as I left his operating room without an STD.

After my surgery I healed up in about 2 more months. I so looked forward to getting my life back. What I did learn quickly was damaged tissue never really heals 100 percent. Throughout the next 3 years I would have small setbacks again leaving me bedbound for lengths of time. My last setback happened late in 2012 and has haunted me throughout 2013, till now.

It seemed every time I would make plans to meet up with friends, try to accomplish a project or to complete a responsibility, I would have to cancel, push back or fail to meet my responsibilities. I could not make or keep commitments as life functioned on a day-to-day schedule. We all know life happens while making plans and here I was unable to plan anything. Furthermore, my family and friends who knew my struggles, I’m sure also was affected seeing me experiencing this.

Today is a welcomed day as what was once a sore is now but a memory. Opening a new chapter in my life, I want to thank everyone who helped, cared and loved me through this long struggle. I am blessed to be surrounded by so many and I am honored to have you amongst my positive healing support group. So now I share my excitement and my joy with you. Now I can make plans, keep commitments and fulfill my responsibilities, to get out of existing and start living again.

Whatever struggle you face today, know there is hope never lose faith that God is in control and he puts people in your life to lift you up and to encourage you because one day you will tell your story and inspire others. Even when you feel like you have no value or nothing to offer remember this, if God can use a broken vessel like me, how much more can he do with you…

May you be inspired, uplifted and spiritually refreshed …… Please share if this has touched you or you feel led to inspire others….".

--CK

Chris was in such bad shape with tubes, machines hooked up it was hard seeing him since he was the kid next door 5 years old, always checking out my cars.

All I could think to say to him was Chris you have to get better so you can help me finish the Vette, he moved his head, like OK.

Custom50

Chris.jpg

Chrisandcars.jpg