Register now to get rid of these ads!

History 64/65 Comets old drag cars lets see pictures

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by apound, Feb 17, 2009.

1. bluebolt

bluebolt
    from Benton LA

Here's pics of my old car as promised. Except for the doors most of the rust was there when I parked it 20+ years ago. It used to have a lot more blue paint though!

Attached Files:

fiveoh108 likes this.
  2. 65COMET

65COMET

bluebolt;is it mostly surface rust?It looks like the fiberglass hood has warped.What are your plans for the Cyclone? ROY.

3. bluebolt

bluebolt
    from Benton LA

The doors have some rust through, the lower right rear quarter needs to rust repair and it needs some floor work. Trunk lip channel on body needs lots of work. Everthing else is pretty much surface rust. Dent wise it has a few, whole back tailight panel needs lots of work.

Plans are get it running and driving. The engine turns over pretty good by hand and oil looks real good for 20+ year old oil LOL. Running into the gas tank and fuel sender issues now. Fuel outlet was real rusty on fuel tank sender and broke off when I tried to remove hose. Debating on reparing what I have, adapting a 65-68 Mustang tank or running a fuel cell. Mice and rats chewed up the wiring, will need all new harness. I have all of the Cyclone trim thankfully.

The fiberglass hood is pretty trashed, left front corner is gone, it has worn through in some spots too. It's a cover for the engine compartment basically.

4. powrshftr

powrshftr

If you're going to run a Mustangbtank go for the '70 Mustang 22 gallon unit over the standard 16 gallon units for other years.They still fit nice,but the extra time spent bangin' gears instead of standing at the pump is cool.
    And Crites Restorations out of Ohio makes Cyclone hoods (and fenders,and bumpers) if you need new.

Scott

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

5. SLCK64

SLCK64

Were the original ram air hoods 'glass or metal?

Also, why is there so much year discretion for the hood? Cause I see people putting the teardrop on the Comet, but to me, the 'Drop was Ford(all models) and the Snorkels were Comet. But I see the Snorkel listed as '65 l only in a lot of places and then the teardrop is listed for 64 Comet.

If I was in the know for 64, what is the Comet hood that Ford wanted on the 'Strip from DST?

6. 65COMET

65COMET

SLCK64;the hoods were fiberglass,they were made back then by an outside vendor[can't recall the name],Crites Restorations makes the fiberglass pieces now.64 Comets originally got the teardrop hood,then later in the season got the twin snorkle hood.65 Comets all got the twin snorkle hood,any 64/65 Comet with both on the hood used a fabricated piece.The teardrop was designed to be able to fit the air bonnet and hoses under the hood and let heat out through the rear openings. ROY.

7. Cshabang

Cshabang

As Roy has said, any with both were fabbed. Hopefully I can finish mine since its been way too long since i staryed it. My hope Is to use it as a pattern for a mould...maybe make a few as my father wants one as well. My plate is too fill currently

8. teddisnoke

teddisnoke
    from So Cal

Scott- thats a good bit of information! I know the Falcon and Mustangs have close and similar dimensions, but at 22 gallons thats a good call...

9. gt350hr

gt350hr
    from So Cal

If anyone is interested, I have a genuine '64 only radio delete (both pieces and attaching hardware) for sale. $150 shipped and insured to the lower 48 states. PM me if interested. This is not in the classifieds as it applies here IMHO.
    Randy

10. AHotRod

AHotRod

Make sure and shoot some pictures of the engine, interior, and trunk for us.....

11. Falconred

Falconred

I think this is the first time I've gotten on the HAMB and there wasn't a new post on this site.

12. ClearSpot

ClearSpot
    from Michigan

I came across this Comet in a recent Muscle Car Review zine back issue and have to share.
    A 202 ordered with a Hi-Po! The original owner has full documentation,and it's unrestored as you see it.Great story behind 2 similar cars.He and his brother in law both ordered 202 hi po cars in '65.His brother in laws car became the "Florida Goose" race car mentioned earlier in this thread.And is gone.
    His car survived,and is in incredible original condition.
    More pics of this Badass car would be cool if anyone knows Don Watson of St Petersburg,Fl.
    Myron_

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 14, 2013
  13. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

Info on the hood?
    Iv never seen one like that.

14. Cshabang

Cshabang

Thats a factory cyclone fiberglass hood

15. ClearSpot

ClearSpot
    from Michigan

Right,as Cshabang stated they were factory produced only as an option for the Cyclone version in '65.Only around 300 produced for the cars. Much more typically seen on '66&'67 comets.

The article states the owner ask the salesman request the hood and a Rotunda tach along with the HiPo motor.

Some one called Kerns Auto is reproducing the hood again.Here on ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/65-Cyclone-...Qz71UjFry1k9IhcU0GZ7s%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

Last edited: Sep 15, 2013
  16. 65COMET

65COMET

That hood is purely for looks,the inner structure covers most of the openings.The new,reproduced version uses a plenum under the hood that can be opened up.I don't think you will get much 'RAM' effect but it will feed fresh outside air. JMO , ROY.

17. ClearSpot

ClearSpot
    from Michigan

Anyone here familiar with this red '64?

Attached Files:

18. ec164

ec164
    from MI

Great Post Myron on the 202, there is a guy in Midland that still drives the 67 202 maybe said Capri, his father bought new (427 car) oem paint and all including dog dish caps......Al

19. 65COMET

65COMET

Myron;hard to see,I blew it up,but it just gets grainier! Al;is the Comet white? I saw one at Carlisle in 2004,there has also been a magazine article on it! ROY.

20. Red69Hoss

Red69Hoss

Do you know anything about this car? I photographed it at the Heavy Rebel Weekender but couldn't find the owner.

21. ec164

ec164
    from MI

Hi Roy No this one is deep burgundy stick shift couple dings but will give you a rush standing next to it. A white one Mr.SuperStock Broker was from my home town, automatic, single 4, one of only a couple built by Holman and Moody and it was a Fairlane 500 1967.....Al

22. ClearSpot

ClearSpot
    from Michigan

Attached Files:

23. 65COMET

65COMET

Al;the 67 Comet I saw was a 202 two door sedan,427,4-speed,white exterior,it was in the Ford Building at the 2004 Carlisle Ford Show. Myron;thanks for the link,that light blue 65 Comet is on here in a few posts,I believe the owners name is Merritt,the car runs a SBF,runs pretty good. ROY.

24. ec164

ec164
    from MI

Yes and we have'nt heard from Mr. Merrit in awhile, but the car did run some good numbers although I don't remember exactly to type it.....Also has anyone heard how our friend Steve is doing with the 65' Dyno Don car, he lost his engine at the FE Reunion preparing to match race Paul Adams......Al

25. 65COMET

65COMET

Al;I have e-mailed Steve,got no response,so not sure if he is back up and running!I got asked to bring my Comet out tonight for a display of A/FX style cars at the roundy round track at Irwindale,we get to make a couple of laps then put our cars on display.Should be interesting to see drag cars on a banked oval!!There will be at least two Comets there,mine and Dale Snoke's! ROY.

26. projim64

projim64

Steve is still waiting on his engine to be rebuilt. Not really sure when that will be at this time. I sure do miss hearing it run though.

27. ec164

ec164
    from MI

That sounds like some fun Roy, hope you and Dale have a great time.

ProJim64 , Your the buddy that was with Steve at Beaver Springs, tell him Hi and it was a great-time visiting you and Steve at the FE Reunion.......Al

28. 65COMET

65COMET

Al;it was fun!!! Dale made up a pressure system to squirt water on his slicks so he did some cool burnouts,especial seeing that the track is a banked 1/2 mile oval so it made for seriously sideways burnouts!!I only got a little sideways as I used first gear only!!! I think there will be some video coming!! ROY.

29. teddisnoke

teddisnoke
    from So Cal

We did have a GREAT TIME tonight!!! We'll have to sort thru the video, but Davina (my camera gal) has what appears to be a stick shifted blue Comet literally jumping off the ground. Most of it was boring, but Roys burnout, and friend Erics mile long burnout (in this case, a peg-leg on a banked oval is a GOOD thing!) in his '29 had the crowds going!!!