Register now to get rid of these ads!

Seized rear end help help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by metalinker, Sep 11, 2013.

1. metalinker

metalinker

Good evening fellow Hambers. I have a problem. I have bought a 1952 F1 pick up. I have to pull it on to my trailer in the morning but the back wheels won't turn. I removed the driveshaft but the wheels won't turn still. I don't think the brakes are stuck because there is a little movement. When I tried to drag it, it seemed like the drivers side wheel went backwards. Any ideas out there? Thanks in advance.

2. F&J

F&J

That means the wheels are fighting each other through the spder gears. Makes me think the pinion bearings are seized if it does that.

One way to test is to get both rears off the ground, and spin one tire. If the other goes opposite, but you can't turn the pinion yoke, then it must be a seized pinion. Very unusual IMO

3. GregCT.

GregCT.
    from CT.

Happened to me. Went to pick up a vehicle with a new 9 inch sitting for 5 years with no fluids. Had to take the center out to move it. Jacked it up and one wheel going forward, one backward. Blew my mind.

4. mustang6147

mustang6147
    from Kent, Ohio

can you lift 1 wheel with a roller floor jack under the axle ?

I can honestly say I have never ran into a frozen rear end that wasn't a brake issue.

5. metalinker

metalinker

Thanks everyone for your input.

6. This thread also answered the question for me. I've got to deliver a '55 Studebaker that's doing the same thing, one rear wheel turns forward and the other turns backward when loading it on a trailer. Now I know the source of the problem.

7. metalinker

metalinker

Update..... I lifted the rear end this morning and took of the diff plate. Rust poured out so I attacked it with penetrating oil and a pry bar. I won! It rolls like a dream now.

8. mustang6147

mustang6147
    from Kent, Ohio

WoW... that's great.... well not the rust, but you got it movin

9. Roger Walling

Roger Walling

Quote,
    " I have to pull it on to my trailer in the morning but the back wheels won't turn."

That is what a winch is for. Apply something slippery to the ramps and deck and pull.

No winch? Use a come along.

10. It better be a damn good winch, because it is surprising how much resistance that counter-rotating wheel generates when you're loading. I have an 8,000-pound Ramsey on my trailer that pulled the Studebaker on the trailer, but you wouldn't describe the pull as "easy". Doing it with a come-a-long would have been back-breakingly miserable.

Can't say I like the idea of "apply something slippery to the ramps and deck". Pulling from a point slightly off-center will result in a crooked load, shit might slide around on the trailer while in transit, and you might bust your ass if you step in the wrong place.

If I'm loading something with flats or stuck brakes, I jack up the non-moving wheel(s) and put a big square of cut-pile carpet under it with the carpet nap down. On a steel-deck trailer like mine that will work just like those "moving men" saucers put under furniture to easily move it on carpeted surfaces.

Unfortunately that wouldn't work with the Stude because that counter-rotating wheel would just shoot the carpet out from underneath.

I'm gonna follow the advice above and see if I can introduce a liberal amount of 50/50 ATF/acetone into the differential in an attempt to get gears moving again.

11. 2racer

2racer

all you need is about 20 feet of carpet...

12. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

I had a similar experience about 30 years ago picking up a vehicle 200 miles from home. I went to a home improvement store a couple of blocks away and bought a 50ft roll of galvanized steel valley flashing and a tin snips. Cut the roll into 4 pieces. We jacked the left front wheel up, laid one piece under it extending just behind the wheel with the rest of it going up the ramp. Then we jacked the left rear wheel up, laid one piece down under the rear tire as far as it would go toward the front tire on top of the first piece. Next we poured a little oil on it and laid another piece on it just under the rear tire and out behind the car. When we pulled it forward, the rear wheel turned backward sliding the top piece forward. As the sheet got close to coming out we fed the 4th piece on top of it. The oil and the smooth sheets slid rather easily. When we got it loaded, we rolled the pieces up and kept them with the trailer and they were used several more times.

I was able to use a similar method at the scrapyard where I work when on of our 944 Liebherr material handlers had a travel problem. We lifted it with the outriggers, put several layers of scrap sheet metal under the wheels, lifted the outriggers and slid it out of the way with a loader.

13. Roger Walling

Roger Walling

Attached Files:

14. As to applying something slippery .... Hell, I do it at least once a week , whether I'm missing keys , on OT junk , or old rigs with stuck parts , Done it dozens of times , Nothing has slipped , or fallen off , I'm not sure if you know about chaining , and binding, your load. But, It's essential , and it is the law.
    I am in a hurry , usually all the time , But, my loads are always secure. OH, There is also this new thing , called gravity, that holds the other three tires down, and in place pretty good. My 12000 pound Ramsey has pulled 'em up with stuck wheels , and no lube, It groans, but , with a little water , or windex , or atf , or any liquid , it does not groan near as bad, Joe
    PS just FYI . I've hauled in 2400 O/T junkers to the crusher in under 4 years, I average around three a day , 6,000,000 pounds recycled