Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Rare Shifter collecting

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Lytles Garage, Dec 31, 2012.

1. Jay Tyrrell

Jay Tyrrell

Nice!

2. HMMM
    My only possible rare (to me any way) shifter came from WARREN JOHNSON'S 40 Chev drag car the car he raced before going to Pro Stock in a 70 Camaro. The built big block from the 40 went in the Camaro and the stock 307 went into the 40. A friend owned the 40 and switched to a four speed ... I had WJ autograph a tag on the shifter in person when he looked over the 40 in 2005.....:)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 2, 2013
    1Nimrod likes this.
  3. I'm surprised I missed this thread.

I'll play...

- Drag Fast selector type floor shift conversion for 1939-60 Buick's, 1951-62 Olds and 1956-57 Pontiac transmissions with "6" bolt top inspection covers. It is a model # 193 & 1293. (First picture)

- Drag Fast selector type floor shift conversion for 1939-60 Buick's, 1939-50 Olds and 1939-55 Pontiac transmissions with "5" bolt top inspection covers. It is a model # 192 & 1292. (Second and Third pictures)

- a Foxcraft floor shift conversion for Olds selector transmissions. It might fit the same year models as the first Drag Fast. (Fourth picture)

- NOS Ansen Posi-Matic floor shift conversion for Hydromatic transmissions. (Fifth picture)

I also have a Hurst floor shifter for Cad/LaSalle side shift transmissions, a Hurst Hydro/Gate floor shift conversion for Hydromatic transmissions, and an unidentified floor shifter that I believe also fits Cad/LaSalle transmissions. I don't have any pictures of those on here though.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 9, 2014
    1Nimrod likes this.
  4. truckdude1

truckdude1

i just scored a NOS Drag Fast 3 speed shifter. Unfortunately, while the instructions say it is for 49-61 Ford and Merc transmissions, the mounting plate and shift rods aren't anywhere close to fitting my '53 Merc OD transmission. Very disappointing, this is such a nice part. It looks like the part number for a standard Ford/Merc 3 speed is 115 and 116 for the OD, both with a straight bottom on the side cover. If I can read the faded box marking, this appears to be a 146 model. Maybe someone has an old speed parts catalog with Drag Fast parts numbers?

[​IMG]

5. Lytles Garage

Lytles Garage

Very Cool Shifter! Chris

6. teddyt

teddyt
    from U.S.

Great collection !

7. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

In high school, (1958-60) a pal and I were buying Eelco shifters wholesale from another pal that managed a specialty parts store.
    We'd buy all the '55-'57 Chev brake pedal arms, trim and thread the pedal ends, and weld 'em onto the sloppy Eelco linkage.

We 'bootlegged' them as a "Hurst shifter you could speed shift". Sold 'em like Indian medicine.
    The 'economy' model was similar to the early Ansens, sloppy like the early 3 speed 'Vettes.
    When adjusted, you NEVER got hung up in the 'gate'...(especially with that rigid handle!)

8. a4278v

a4278v

This is a M/T 4 speed shifter for a ford toploader trans,I haven't seen many of these just the shifter body and handle,which look very different from Hurst, although mounting points and arms seem to duplicate Hurst,??

Attached Files:

1Nimrod likes this.
  9. GearSlammer

GearSlammer
    from Rogers AR

I got a few shifter and knobs ive collected...dont know much bout the shifters tho..check em out.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

Attached Files:

1Nimrod likes this.
  10. chromeazone

chromeazone

I knew somebody out there had to mention the Hurst Mystery Shifter. It was a Classic Universal shifter for the Po Boys who couldn't spring for the Hurst $80+ flat stick Comp Plus shifter. We didn't care, it worked and it said "Hurst" on the stick so we could run the decals!
    All Great collections !!

1Nimrod likes this.
  11. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

My three Hydros, all the misc. Hydro parts, and three shifters (NEW Hurst Hydro Gate, Drag Fast, and an unknown) all went to Tom Willford, RIP. Butch/56sedandelivery.

1Nimrod likes this.
  12. Kustomism

Kustomism

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1379102644.612713.jpg

1Nimrod likes this.
  13. Bluedot

Bluedot

Fellas, help me with my memory here. My first car (1966) was a '57 Chev, 270HP283. Three on the tree when I got it, but I put in a DragFast floor shifter. (Couldn't afford Hurst.) The handle was heavy and flat sided, like a Comp Plus handle. But here's my question. As I recall, the knob that came with it new was rather like the "yo-yo's" referred to in other posts, but the two sides were wood, and the cross section was teardrop shaped rather than round. In 40+ years since then I've never seen another like it. My 68 year old brain is not to be trusted these days - am I "remembering" something that never existed?

1Nimrod likes this.
  14. Elrod

Elrod

This is a very rare locking early ford shifter. Decker Shift Lock :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 11, 2015
  15. hellsgaterods

hellsgaterods

[​IMG]

Here's an old hurst yoyo I picked up a few months ago for my collection

1Nimrod, Elcohaulic and OLSKOOL32 like this.
  16. Lytles Garage

Lytles Garage

Yes, the Dragfast shifterswere made like a Hurst YoYo but were arrow shaped, my buddy from high scool had one a 55 with a 3 speed, been looking for one also. Chris

17. Berry and Chung 4speed shifter from New Zealand (late 60's).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1Nimrod likes this.
  18. wheelsup56

wheelsup56
    from so.jersey

I have 2 vertigate shifters...one was new in the box..the other a Junkyard find! somewhat rare? I love the way they work!

1Nimrod likes this.
  19. carmuts

carmuts

Here are a couple that were in the parts purchase I made from a now closed local salvage yard a couple of years ago. I have been advertizing them for sale for awhile as I really do not collect them or need them. Mist not be all that collectable as they are still taking up space. Rod

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 14, 2013
    1Nimrod likes this.
  20. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

I wouldn't say I "collect" shifters...but I have a couple I plan on building cars around.
    A Hurst Vertigate/Ramrod for a A-833, some Hurst Lightning Rods and "had" an Eelco shifter that I gave away cause it looked like a cheapie Hurst knock-off. I did keep the handle though....as it has the cool Foot logo on it.
    My T has an old Super Shifter in it....

1Nimrod likes this.
  21. loudbang

loudbang

LOL I had one of those in my 55 Ford and destroyed about 4 second gear syncros before I discovered that with no "stops" built into the shifter body if you power shifted it the synrcos were forced too far onto the forcing cone destroying them in no time. Made some "stops" and never wrecked another trans after that.

1Nimrod likes this.
  22. Big Jon

Big Jon

hey kev, I've got a b/c shifter and a b/c manifold in the shed for a zepher straight 6

one of my one day projects

Jonno

1Nimrod likes this.
  23. Lytles Garage

Lytles Garage

Kevin; Berry & Chung, thats one I never heard of !! It's amazing how much speed equipment was made!! THANKS Chris

24. powrshftr

powrshftr

If anybody has a B&M shifter for a HydroStick that they are willing to sell,please let me know.I just missed one a few weeks ago...
    Thanks,

Scott

25. lrs30

lrs30
    from Kentucky

I'm not calling mine rare, but I sure am having a hell of a time finding parts for it! What I have is a HURST shifter for my 64 Ford F-100 I have everything but the instructions, and one shift lever. Hurst no longer makes it, and or supplies parts or info on it. Any help would be great.( sorry mods, I also have a post in the wanted section, but not having much luck there). So long story short, I'm one lever short a shifter!

1Nimrod likes this.
  26. Lytles Garage

Lytles Garage

What does it look like? got a lot of parts. Chris

27. lrs30

lrs30
    from Kentucky

I will take pics in the am out and about today!

1Nimrod likes this.
  28. old soul

old soul
    from oswego NY

holy shifter head

29. ronnieroadster

ronnieroadster

Dam who knew there was so many brands!

1Nimrod likes this.
  30. swe64

swe64

i dont collect but i have one mystery shifter from a 1955chevy(engine 1961 283)
    ken
    sweden

Attached Files:

1Nimrod likes this.