Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 27Roadsterguys Roadster Build... (starting from scratch)

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by 27Roadsterguy, Jul 17, 2013.

1. stephane-rod

stephane-rod
    from france

2. 27Roadsterguy

27Roadsterguy

I just talked to the machine shop and.......
    NO CRACKS!!! They said everything looks great and the cylinders only show .020 wear. :) I'm stoked!

volvobrynk likes this.
  3. daddio211

daddio211

4. 27Roadsterguy

27Roadsterguy

5. bambbrose

bambbrose
    from So. Utah

Great news, what are the plans for the motor in detail?

6. 27Roadsterguy

27Roadsterguy

Scat 4" Stroke Crank, Scat H-Beam Rods, Ross 3 5/16" Forged pistons giving me a 274 C.I.D. engine

I heard that Evans heads are available again, so I may go that route depending on the price otherwise I'll probably go with Offenhauser heads.

As far as the cam goes, I'll probably go with an ISKY camshaft, as I've had very good luck with their cams and I can special order a custom grind to match my application.

In a perfect world.... I want to top the motor off with a 4-71 Supercharger and dual Strombergs on top :cool:.... but I'll just have to wait and see how patient I can be with saving the money long enough to make that happen. Otherwise I'll probably just run dual or triple 97's and call it good.

I want the car to run reliably more than I want it fast, but I've always wanted a car with a blown engine, so hopefully this will be "THE ONE".

Last edited: Aug 21, 2013
  7. 27Roadsterguy

27Roadsterguy

I picked up my flattie block from the machine shop today... Time to start ordering parts :)

8. bambbrose

bambbrose
    from So. Utah

save some money for the body/chassis!

I'd go broke building a flathead

9. 27Roadsterguy

27Roadsterguy

No worries... The chassis and body will get lots of love and attention too, but i loves me a classic flathead in a hotrod ;)

volvobrynk likes this.
  10. 27Roadsterguy

27Roadsterguy

I'm planning to order a new reversed Convair steering gear box later this week. Do those work good on these type of builds? easy to turn etc.

11. 27Roadsterguy

27Roadsterguy

Weld on motor mounts, front spring perch,& tubing for frame are ordered. I can't wait till it arrives. :)

12. bambbrose

bambbrose
    from So. Utah

Where did you get the brackets from? What front end are you planning on running?

13. 27troadster

27troadster

Lookin' good.... that body is an awesome find.

14. 27Roadsterguy

27Roadsterguy

I ordered the motor mounts fron so cal sacramento speed shop & the spring perch from speedway motors. I want a Super Bell front end (drilled I beam).

15. 27Roadsterguy

27Roadsterguy

I dropped off the gas tank yesterday to get in restored & install a fuel sending unit. Tubing and steering box should be here any day. ;)

16. HotRod33

HotRod33

looks good......I may have to look you up and stop by and see your car.... I have a complete 27 roadster .... now you have me thinking about starting a new project... haha ...

17. 27Roadsterguy

27Roadsterguy

That's cool, your pretty close.... I live off telegraph road in lemay.
    Just shoot me a p.m. if ya wanna swap info.

18. 27Roadsterguy

27Roadsterguy

Ok, quick question...
    My tubing came in and I made my z'd frame rails. If I make the frame the same width as the factory T frame, will I have plenty of clearance for my flathead v8 and the exhaust or do I need to build it wider?

19. rjgideon

rjgideon

I think it all depends on how you are going to run your exhaust. Lakes pipes? Full exhaust under the car? Sometimes you have to just mock it all up and see what's going to work best.

volvobrynk likes this.
  20. 27Roadsterguy

27Roadsterguy

I'm going to run lake pipes, but ya... Your probably right I'll just have to figure it out as I go. ;)

volvobrynk likes this.
  21. bambbrose

bambbrose
    from So. Utah

Any updates coming on this thing? Curious how the motor is going.

22. 27Roadsterguy

27Roadsterguy

Mainly been concentrating on the frame and buying and making mounts and brackets. I'm gonna work on the motor last. It's easier to lift the motor in and out as an empty block. I'll try to post some frame pics soon.

23. 27Roadsterguy

27Roadsterguy

I know I'm slacking on pics, but I thought I'd post this... I just got these wheels off of Craigslist for a whopping $100

What a score!!! I just couldn't pass em' up. These are like 12" wide wheels and the tires are in decent shape too.

[​IMG]

24. 27Roadsterguy

27Roadsterguy

Yesterday I tacked my frame rails together, tomorrow I'm planning to tack in my rear spring perch/crossmember. I'll upload some pics soon. I'm planning to reuse the original rear spring perch to give it a more original stock factory / traditonal look. ;)

Last edited: Nov 19, 2013
  25. bambbrose

bambbrose
    from So. Utah

looking forward to the pics

26. looks like a good start

27. 27Roadsterguy

27Roadsterguy

Thanks, I drove over 2000 miles round trip to get that body. I wanted a solid starting point for this build.

28. rjgideon

rjgideon

The body is gorgeous, I do agree about the wheels. They are from a different era entirely. Granted, I believe you got a great deal on them, but I don't know that they fit a traditional build. A 1980s build, yes, but not a pre-1965 build.

29. VonKool13

VonKool13

Uh, youve completely lost me.....when did you staft speaking Duran Duran and Flock of Seagles?

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

30. 27Roadsterguy

27Roadsterguy

I think these wheels will work good to get it together, I can always buy period correct wheels later. I'm just trying to get it to a roller stage right now. I've had zero luck finding any wide period correct wheels cheap (much less with tires) in my area, so these are a temporary solution. I'm sure I can resell em' and make a profit off em' later too.