Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Traditional alternatives to transmission swaps

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by -Sled-, Sep 13, 2013.

1. -Sled-

-Sled-

Gents,

I have read some archived stuff and the searches, but wasn't able to find a starting point.

I would like to keep my new 29 model A as traditional as possible but the non-syncro 3 speed that is matted to the banger motor just doesn't cut it for city, hilly, highway driving.

The T5 swap (keeping the torque tube) is tempting but then I would be killing the traditional aspect of it.

I have heard of people doing 39 transmissions? Zephyr gears?

What should I do to get a few more gears/ease of driving?

(I may do a flathead V8 in the future, so something at would work with that too would be a plus)

Thanks for the help!

Matt

2. Matt
    Keeping it all old stuff ('30s) you are going to pretty much be stuck with a crash box and you'll need to learn to drive it. If you want it to have longer legs for highway driving a columbia 2 speed rear end is probably one of your few alternatives.

Now if you are going to a flathead V-8 you may consider a 3 speed OD tranny from an early 50s ford or mercury. They had sincros in second and third. Plus the added overdrive for longer legs on the highway. Ford and Merc used a flatty through the end of '53. There is some conjecture as to if they may have used a flatty in early '54.

3. It should be noted that the OD trans that Ford used in the 49-up cars remained essentially unchanged all the way through to the end of production in the mid 60s, so any will work and be 'traditional'. You would lose the torque tube, and the 56-up boxes used 12v solenoids/controls, but would allow steep rear axle ratios while giving great cruising speed.

4. Pretty easy to adapt a banjo to open drive, if I am not mistaken one can even buy a conversion for open drive banjo from someone on here.

Seems like the most viable solution to me.

5. F-6Garagerat

F-6Garagerat

It's not that hard to find a 42-47 open drive banjo center section. Then you don't have the ugly speedway etc conversion in there. I scored one for $50 with a good 3:54 gear.

6. jw johnston

jw johnston

They make adapters/kit to run a v8 box behind a model a motor. Snyders and most of the model a parts suppliers carry these kits. It includes brackets to mount the wishbone ball, pedals and emergency brake. You could also run a model b trans as it has an integral bell housing and will bolt up to an a motor and can stuff it with any v8 or zephyr gears you like. You will need an 81a top with a 3 inch fork for later gears in the the b trans.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

7. -Sled-

-Sled-

Would it be possible to keep the crash box and gain some legs on her with a better gear ratio in the rear?

I don't want it to be open drive, I like the looks and the traditional qualities of a TT setup... Plus I don't want to have to add a torque link

I understand most of what you are saying but got lost at the end

8. Ford went to syncros in 1932. They gradually improved with '39 and up being the best syncros.

Charlie Stephens

9. I like your idea. When he is ready for the V8 just dump the adapter and install the V8.

Charlie Stephens

10. F&J

F&J

The problem you will face with a low torque/low HP motor, is not having enough different gears to cope will certain hills, even on the highway...

If you gear up the rear end too much, you will quickly run out of motor on a hill. Now you downshift to 2nd because you are loosing too much road speed. But, now in second gear, that motor will be screaming, and still not be able to get up to traffic speeds.

For instance, if you had a motor with tons of torque and HP, you could gear the rear end up a lot, and never lose speed on a hill, so then the 3 speed will be fine, as there is no need to downshift on the highway hills, etc.

11. -Sled-

-Sled-

I understand

I like this idea too

Ok so which years/models should I be searching for? Well I be able to keep my Torque tube setup?

12. Kamp

Kamp
    from Peoria, IL

I second this.
    I have friends with completely stock A's and know even more people who drive them all over. They don't have problems driving them, and people have been driving stock A's since 1928. I can't figure out why so many people online now want to change the transmission out? I mean, if you were building a full tilt A powered racer, I could see it - but in a stock or mild driver?

13. -Sled-

-Sled-

Because only being able to drive 40 mph is going to kill me when I take my car to Germany with me

14. racer32

racer32

There's your best option to getting a full-synchro trans. You're still gonna be stuck with 1:1 top gear. Taller tires...the poor man's overdrive.

15. -Sled-

-Sled-

What years/models should I be looking for in my searches?

16. T-85 from a car, Ford, around 51 or later. Most people know it as a Borg Warner overdrive, B/W overdrive or Ford overdrive. Electric shift and uses a cable to lock out the overdrive

17. racer32

racer32

18. -Sled-

-Sled-

Anything good that I can use prewar? Aren't people using 39+ top loaders?

19. -Sled-

-Sled-

20. moonlight graham

moonlight graham
    from wyo

Look at the Ford F-150 transmission for the 1984-87. Check out the FordBarn as there is a fellow there who converts them to the torque tube. Goes by the name Miss Victoria. See if this link works. Three speed plus 4th is an overdrive

http://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showth...800#post569800

21. -Sled-

-Sled-

You missed the part where I wanted to keep it a traditional swap ;)

22. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Don't they make full syncro conversions for the early boxes? That, and overdrive.

23. hammeredshitte

hammeredshitte
    from Eudora, KS

Use the B trans case behind your a motor like stated above.
    32-34 trans case (you will have to open the case belly up I've done them in my garage with a 3 inch angle grinder.
    41-48 side shift gears these are normally reasonible to buy a hole trans for the guts
    The most exspensive piece it the shifter housing and shifter you can use a 39 car or truck dual detent 3" fork or a 40-52 3spd. truck trans top.

Ive done this swap and it makes the a more driveable also going to a tall tire helps but your still not going to be running current highway speeds.

I hope this helps I have most the parts if you need them pm me.

24. -Sled-

-Sled-

I want to stay away from an added overdrive unit

Thanks for the info, PM on its way

25. I'm running a v8 trans with a clings adapter. With my rear tire 7.50x17, about 32.75 inches tall, and a 3.73 rear
    it turns 2400 rpm at 60. I do wish I had used a b case instead of the adapter, but I got tired of looking for one.

26. -Sled-

-Sled-

Please expand and explain why if you can

27. I have never heard of a full syncro conversion for the early (1932-48) boxes. Any chance you are hearing about the syncro gears from Mitchell for the Model A. They are not full syncro, just partial like the 1932-48.

Charlie Stephens

28. It would be more "period correct" to use the b case. Not a big deal. Just a little detail that bugs me.

29. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Yes, sorry my mistake.