Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Scored a 390 super Marauder Mill today!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ol fueler, Sep 12, 2013.

1. ol fueler

ol fueler

Some of you may remember that when I moved from Las Vegas to Colorado the engine for my 64 Merc 2 dr Fast back got left( Supposed temporary) at my ex-wifes house and she sold the complete motor AND a custom made engine stand for scrap ---- most likely to buy beer!

I have been searching for another 390 Super Marauder engine for the Merc. Today there was an ad on CL in Denver for a complete 64 4 dr Marauder Fastback at a reasonable figure . I was considering buying the whole car for the mill and parting the rest out . In talking with the owner ,I found he had a complete 390 super marauder engine , possibly a runner but for sure a good core as I had planned a rebuild of the one I had. His Asking Price ?---100.00 dollars!!

I have never made a trip to Denver so fast ever before , and the engine was exactly as he said, complete to every part.Needless to say, I am a happy camper today!!
    On top of all the luck, the owner offered to bring the engine out to where I live ( 100 miles away) as he had to come out this way Saturday and I did not have my truck with me, but was planning to return next week to get after paying for it today.

Some days the sun shines a little brighter , and we had horrible rain in Colorado today , but not on me!!

2. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Cool - right place at the right time

3. crazy_tonguezz

crazy_tonguezz
    from glendale

your a lucky man!! congrats to your diamond

4. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Great find. Now keep this one away from any women in your life. :D

Don

5. ol fueler

ol fueler

Only woman left in my life ( close at hand anyway) is my 5 year old Grandaughter.

6. ol fueler

ol fueler

I see you have your own 63 -64 merc!! This man I bought the mill from has 7 or 8 other parts cars down by Colorado Springs , pm me if you need anything and I will see if he has it.

7. jhooch

jhooch

I believe the Super Marauder was the 427 FE engine. Yours probably had the Z-code 300 horsepower 390? I have a '64 Mercury Montclair Marauder 2dr HT. Mine has the H-code 266 horespower 390. Good luck on the project!

www.facebook.com/fullsizeford

Attached Files:

8. ol fueler

ol fueler

In a sense you are right, there was a 427 tripower Super Marauder , I think in 63 , not positive what year.
    However a lot of Z code 300 horse engines had a decal on the valve cover that said "Super Marauder" -- The one I just got has remnants of such a decal , I can see "Sup--- and Der -- good enough for the girls I go with! It is a 4 throat carb not 3 dueces.
    I am not sure if the one I USED to have said Super Marauder on the covers or not , but the code on the car is Z

9. ol fueler

ol fueler

crazy_tonguezz---------I got your Pm and sent you a reply, should have the answer tomorrow.

Now seeing a how there are a number of 63 to 65 Marauder guys on the Hamb does anybody have a GOOD steering wheel , almost all I have seen have a very badly cracked clear plastic part --or worse completely gone!

10. hendo0601

hendo0601
    from Tacoma, WA

Why cant engines have cool names like that today? Super Marauder, Super Red Ram, Rocket v8 etc....now we have Duratech and EcoBoost....pretty lame if you ask me. Good job on that score!!! Sometimes the cards just fall the right way!!!!

11. ol fueler

ol fueler

Take it back, The 427 Super Marauder had 2 4's or as Mercury termed it 8V .

Here is a bit better run down.

The 1964 engine line was basically a carry over of 1963 with the addition of a couple of engines.
    The Marauder 390 2V (250 hp) was standard in the Monterey and Montclair.
    A new high compression Marauder 390 2V (266 hp) was optional.
    The Super Marauder 390 4V (300 hp) was standard in the Park Lane and optional in other models.
    The 390 4V Police Interceptor, available since 1962, was now the Interceptor Marauder 390 (330 hp).
    The Marauder 427 (410 hp) and Super Marauder 427 (425 hp) were unchanged from 1963.

I have a Park Lane and the engine I just bought is out of a Park Lane, so other than no longer having all matching numbers, I am in fats city!

12. ol fueler

ol fueler

Here is a bit more information as to the number of 427 engine in Mercurys. As you can see the chance of finding one is pretty slim!

406 & 427 Full Size Mercury Facts and Information

Mercury installed 406 4V and 6V engines in full size cars in the last half of 1962 production and the first half of 1963 production.
    Mercury installed 427 4V engines in full size cars in the last half of 1963 production and 1964.
    Mercury installed 427 8V engines in full size cars in 1963, 1964, and 1965.

In March 1963 Mercury officials talked about creating a "Light Weight" 427 Mercury, but the car never saw production Documents.

Production figures
    I make no guarantees about the accuracy of the numbers listed here, but simply list what I have seen and heard over the years.

1963 production
    Mercury sold 176 full size 406 and 427 cars (document above).
    Breakdown by engine is shown below. This data was provided by Greg Donahue.

B code 406 4V 385 HP 29
    G code 406 6V 405 HP 64
    Q code 427 4V 410 HP 25
    R code 427 8V 425 HP 58

It has been reported by a Ford engineer that 21 of the 58 Mercury "R" cars were Marauder S-55s.

While it is known that at least 2 Marauders were built with the 406 engine, it is unlikely that there were more than 5 or 10.

1964 production
    Mercury sold 64 full size 427 cars (document above).
    It has been reported that 42 of these were 427 8V cars. This number has not been verified but is consistent with other figures.
    That would mean 22 427 4V cars which is also consistent with other figures.

1965 production
    While the document above states that Mercury sold 7 full size 427 8V cars in 1965,

I have seen a letter from a Ford executive stating that the production figures below are correct.
    R code 427 8V 425 HP 12 cars (non-wagon)
    R code 427 8V 425 HP 7 station wagons

I cannot say which numbers are right, but mathematical evidence indicates 7 is more likely the correct number.

13. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

I'd have rented a truck, and made sure it came home with me !!!!!!!!!!

4TTRUK

14. ol fueler

ol fueler

If I lived anywhere but the Colorado Mountains I probably would have too, but most folks around here don't lock their houses or take the keys out of the car, so I am pretty sure my mill will be here in the AM.

15. ol fueler

ol fueler

Well Rats, I am not going to get my engine today. The whole State of Colorado has been declared a federal disaster area. The horrible rains yesterday and Thursday have destroyed a huge amount of roads in the state. I-70 , the main east west highway is closed due to mud slides , there is no way to get to Denver from the high Rockies where I am .
    All the roads to the Wyoming border are closed as well as to Boulder, most roads to Colorado Springs -- it is a real mess.

16. alphabet soup

alphabet soup
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Question for you F.E. guys. I ran across an older guy who has some stuff. A buddy of mine and myself would like to have it. But we really don't know what to offer. Would like to get it as cheap as we can but don't want to offend him. Here is what he has and he has had it for quite some time. All this stuff turns but does need rebuilt. 1-'68 428 C.J. carb to pan, fan to belhousing 1-'63 390 Super Marauder complete 1-'64? 410 with 427 2x4 intake and carbs complete. And some other 390's, a 429 2v and a couple of 460's. Is this 2000.00 worth of stuff or 5000.00? What do you think.

17. FEDER

FEDER

The 428 is a very desirable pc. On that alone if standard bore Ide say 3500 to 5000 by itself. The 390 is a run of the mill deal and maybe 5 to 6 hundred if again std bore. The 410 didn't come out until 66. Its a standard 390 block with a 428 crank and non performance heads. That alone 6 to 850. The 2x4 setup again depends on the year. The early low riser ones 63-early 65 12 t0 1500 complete. If it a later med riser 1600 to 2200.
    Again depending on how original. Meaning carbs - linkage aircleaner bottom pans and ofcoarse no stripped threads or cracks. See what others think but I think im in the ballpark. Fed

18. ol fueler

ol fueler

Horaaaaah!! My 390 mill is sitting safely in my garage today!! So for any of you doubters as to the safety of paying for something before delivery -- sometimes it works!

19. ol fueler

ol fueler

I find it usually works better to ask if the seller has a figure in mind , then work from that point. The engine I just got would most likely fetch 300 to 500 most places , I asked and it turned out a hundred was all he wanted, mostly because he is a car guy and so am I --no gouging allowed!

20. hendo0601

hendo0601
    from Tacoma, WA

Did you have to use a boat to get it home? I have been following the news about the rain and flooding in your area and it doesnt seem to be getting any better. Congrats on getting it home!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

21. ol fueler

ol fueler

No, not quite, however it did have to wait till the mudslide on interstate 70 yesterday was cleared .
    Where I live I am pretty lucky, I am on the WEST side of the continental divide and all the flooding is on the East side , got an 11000 foot mountain between me and the water! All we get up here is 40 feet of snow and 40-50 below zero temps!!

22. alphabet soup

alphabet soup
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

FEDER, thanks for the info. I knew they were worth something. However, I had no idea the 428 was worth so much. The guy told me he paid 350.00 for it in about '71 or 2. I am sure he also knows they have gone up. But I don't know if he is aware of how much. I really don't know if he has a number in mind. Gene.

23. crazy_tonguezz

crazy_tonguezz
    from glendale

your a brave guy driving out there in that crazy weather and road condition. but it also shows what us car guys will do just to own the diamond setting in our cars.

i wish i had the time of gotten the 63 fast back marauder in washington. but with no vacation or free time. the 500 dollar deal got away from me and is now owned in canada !!
    On the up beat im glad your engine is sitting in a new Good home! cant wait to see its progress im a subscriber to this thread and excited for you!

24. ol fueler

ol fueler

Thanks for the boost Crazy, but I didn't drive anywhere ! Like I said ,the man I got it from , offered to bring it out to me. Actually his father did, said he had to go visit a relative that lives about 45 miles farther north of me. As it turned out , Chuck , the father , decided not to go on north but instead he and his brother just brought the engine out to me, over a hundred miles!! How great of them was that??
    Crazy , Doug the man that owns all the Mercs. had to work today so I did not get any more info on what you need , I will as soon as I can.

25. crazy_tonguezz

crazy_tonguezz
    from glendale

dang thats super cool that they brought it to you !
    someday i hope i can own a collection like Doug lol. but im sure my wife thinks other wise . lol well have a great sunday