Register now to get rid of these ads!

History The Dave Stuckey Kandy Kart '58 Impala

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by frank spittle, Sep 12, 2013.

1. frank spittle

frank spittle

Kandy Kart...jpg I like the new format and therefore believe this car deserves it's own thread. The Kandy Kart '58 Impala built in 1962-63 for Pat Mulligan by Dave Stuckey is one of the best designed and built customs ever. Many customs built in the early '60s just didn't look right. This one does.

It has been discussed on the H.A.M.B and is still out there somewhere. I hope this thread brings it to light again.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2014
    don colaps and Okie Pete like this.
  2. fleet-master

fleet-master

Hear here!! I'd love to know if the restoration on this awesome custom has been completed.

3. koolkemp

koolkemp

I love these early 60's radical customs! Glad to hear its still around !!

4. mazdaslam

mazdaslam

That car was for sale a little while back.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

5. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Sorry, not feeling it. Much prefer the lines of the stock '58.

Attached Files:

• 58.jpg
      58.jpg
      File size:
      216.5 KB
      Views:
    Chavezk21, jvo, RDR and 1 other person like this.
  6. frank spittle

frank spittle

You shouldn't feel sorry. There are those who prefer the stock lines of a '49 Mercury to a custom too.

58cchevy likes this.
  7. thunderplex

thunderplex

I think it looks like crap. It too, doesn't look right but nobody asked for my opinion. I just offered it knowing others will agree with me.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

8. frank spittle

frank spittle

I am sure you are correct. A radical custom is always controversial. Some will like the look. Others will not.

9. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

All subjective of course. There was a thread titled "Customs of the '50s" or something that I followed. I saw very few cars that I thought were an improvement over the factory design. I love the look of a chopped, channeled, shaved, fenderless of what have you '30s-'40s car, but by the mid '50s it just seems to me the cars don't lend themselves as well to customizing as the earlier iron. There were some top notch factory stylists by that era.

10. Sauli

Sauli

Looking at the proportions of this car, and the shape of the backlite area of the roof, I wonder if it was in fact an Impala, or a Bel Air Sport Coupe that he started out with, and what exactly he did, modifications-wise?

11. sub006

sub006

It's really pretty, but at first glance it looks like a mild custom '58 Mopar to me.

12. The front doesn't work well with the back, but outside of that no issues. I actually started a model along these lines ages ago, but never finished.

13. I love it and I think it´s a stand out car, but it looks so much like a factory effort from the early sixties (wrap around screen excepted) that I half wonder why they went to so much trouble? It doesn´t look much like a 58 any more, that´s for sure.

14. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

looks like 61 Pontiac quarters... definitely not a good looking as a stock bodied 58.

15. Ulu

Ulu
    from CenCal

It's sure different, if perhaps not "better."

I haven't seen the back yet, but the front looks like an Imperial grille setup. I do like the front end.

16. mikhett

mikhett
    from jackson nj

Front end treatment appears too "BOXY" to me and i dig Kustoms!It looks like he used poncho qtr panels on it.

17. I think some folks have a problem getting to grips with this car because it´s out of the usual fifties Kustom era of organic shapes and moving into early sixites angular forms. It´s certainly not what we´re all used to seeing.

18. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

19. MAD 034

MAD 034
    from Washington

Does look Pontiac influenced on the back end. Nice looking custom for sure from that time frame. Really like the front end treatment.

20. frank spittle

frank spittle

Has this car turned up in the last three years? Like it or not it was one of the best magazine covered customs in 1964.

21. aircap

aircap

This was not Dave's finest h0ur....

22. frank spittle

frank spittle

Any new information on this car? It is one of those Customs you like.....or not. It is another car that deserves bringing back.

23. frank spittle

frank spittle

One thing I forgot to mention when I started this thread is I bought it from original owner Pat Mulligan in 1974 in totally original condition as last shown a decade earlier. It came with the original custom built enclosed trailer too. I sold it a couple years later. It was an original '58 Impala Pat had took to Dave for minor custom work. Some think he should have stayed with that plan. I DON'T!!!

loudbang, Sancho and chryslerfan55 like this.
  24. Peanut 1959

Peanut 1959

Cool kustom! Can we get some pics of its current appearance?

loudbang likes this.
  25. Spex84

Spex84
    from Canada

Ditto here--I love the audacity of this car and how it wears boxy styling so well. Would be cool to know what state it's in now. If I were to re-design it, I'd ditch the roof scoops and re-do the tailfins/taillights to echo the well-resolved and crisp front-end styling.

26. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

Pictures.

27. Atomic Kustom

Atomic Kustom

I think a great early 60's kustom. Seems like if its not a lowered, mostly stock bodied car with wheels the people on here hate them. I do know the car was for sale at one of the KKOA Leadslead shows in I think the 90's, may have been when they were in Holland MI. Contact Morearty he was at a lot of the early shows!!!

loudbang and chryslerfan55 like this.
  28. frank spittle

frank spittle

I have pulled up the Dave Stuckey Kustoms thread, which has been dormant for several years and has pictures I posted when I owned it on posts 17 and 54. I stayed in touch with him until his death and he was as nice a guy I have ever known. I posted his answers to some of the questions by others on his thread. You will enjoy revisiting it OR visiting it for the first time.

29. Tom davison

Tom davison
    from Phoenix AZ

In its time, it was groundbreaking. And it was Dave Stuckey's finest hour. Pat Mulligan was a cool customer, too.

30. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

The pic I took is on post 34.

@Atomic Kustom It was about 91 or so and yes, it was in Holland for sale. I have a picture of it somewhere. ^^^^^^