Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 34 drag truck build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mat Thrasher, Jun 5, 2009.

1. Killer truck!

I really enjoyed watching this build

2. Kess

Kess
    from PA

Nice work Mat! I love the stance, low and mean lookin! Excellent burnout too!

3. Barn Hunter

Barn Hunter

Awesome truck. You've got a cool back yard!

4. Mat Thrasher

Mat Thrasher

Thanks guys!

That is just how a Hot Rodder's brain works! There may or may not be a plan for a bit more power this winter. :)

Thanks, I've been following the pickup you and Koz are putting together. I love the gold. Gold is one of my top picks, if mine ever sees paint. But I'm not sure it that will ever happen.

Thanks not my back yard though, that's a friend of mine. The crazy part is the neighbors don't say shit!

Here's a shot of the winter project.:)

Attached Files:

5. v8paul

v8paul
    from england

Wow what a killer machine. I just looked back to see how much you chopped the top, as it looks perfect to me. I ended up reading the whole thread... again. Truely awesome !

6. Kess

Kess
    from PA

I think picking the color was the hardest decision for the rod. I actually like yours in the bare metal look.

7. farmer12

farmer12

What a killer truck!!

8. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

That first video makes me feel all patriotic....bitchin'

9. flatheadz-forever

flatheadz-forever
    from new jersey

badass sums it up haha wish my truck was that bitchin'

10. Cshabang

Cshabang

Every time I look at this damn thread I want to get started building a downright nasty truck...

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

Last edited: Sep 15, 2013
  11. HPM

HPM

Hi Mat,

Just wanted to say I am really inspired by your build, the proportions are bang on :cool:

Can I ask you a favor...what length are your wishbones above?

Cheers, Matt

12. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Don't know how I missed your thread before, great build, intake looks killer.

13. Mat Thrasher

Mat Thrasher

Thanks guys! HPM the wishbones are off a 38 truck and are 37-1/2" from the center of the front pin to the center of the mounting bolt.

14. HPM

HPM

15. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

i never really looked to see, but is your truck clear coated or just oiled down??

16. Mat Thrasher

Mat Thrasher

It's oiled down with Gibbs brand. I highly recommend it. As you saw even in our high humidity my truck has very little rust. I've even been caught in the rain a few times.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

17. Mat Thrasher

Mat Thrasher

I figured I would post a little update. I've been working on getting the blower on the truck this winter. Even though I'm going with a blower I still feel I need to keep the 6 2's. I just feel they are kinda the personality of the truck. I just couldn't go with a couple of Holleys. Plus that would be too easy. :)

When I first started mocking everything up I wanted the keep the setup the same as it was on the manifold. But no matter what I did it kept looking like shit. The large base 2G's just take up too much area to look right side by side. So I flipped them side ways.

The only thing about flipping them was the linkage. It was going to be much more complicated. I wanted to keep it progressive just like it was N/A. What I came up was to run the front left 2 carbs as the primaries and the other 4 as my secondaries. Which actually made the linkage fairly simple. I just bought 2 supercharger linkage kits, which gave me all the pieces and parts I needed. All I had to do was add the extra carb on each side and setup the back carb as the progressive one. The action flips off of the same back carb by extending the one shaft and adding an extra arm, then tying the 2 together.

Hopefully I won't have to mess with the idle and crusing tune much and just have to play with WOT. That's my theory at least. :)

That catches everything up until right now. The fuel lines are next. Then I need to spring for the manifold.

Attached Files:

18. Just when you start thinking it can't get any better ...
    Nice Mat!!!

19. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Have you thought about using Webers? All those 2Gs seem to give it a cluttered look.

20. HPM

HPM

Bad ass!!!

HPM

21. That was worth checkin in to see. Great stuff.

22. Cshabang

Cshabang

Guess im gonna have to step it up...haha.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using H.A.M.B. mobile app

23. LeadSledMerc

LeadSledMerc

Looks pretty cool, Mat.
    I'm sure we'll be seing a video once you get it finished up...I'm hoping! :cool:

24. Excellent! Looking good man.

25. that is gonna be one helluva ride... can't wait for a fire breathin' video!

26. I nope I am not bursting your bubble for Uniqueness!!! You need to go carbs with fuel injection modifications or turn everything around to work properly. I would say that your carbs are too physically big to work properly. It will be fun watching you though. In the late 50's thru the 60's we all tried to mount carbs every which way. Only to quickly find out that your fuel in the bowels will be all over the place!!! You may never get those things to run with forward momentum. It would be a nightmare to set your floats and keep the proper level inside the bowels in order for the carbs to perform period. Unless you find away to make them into injectors so that you can keep that CRAZY lookin' contraption on top of that 671 BDS. A big block with a roots booster will have all kinds of torque!!!!!!!!!!:eek:
    Someone mailed your blog to my Email is how I got involved here. But I have been down that road years and years ago on the strip and on the street.:mad: Just tryin' to figure it all out back then without all of the today's knowledge accessible was NOT fun!:(
    If you do get it to run, AS CARBURETORS, then I would like to see and ride in that thing! :confused:
    If I missed something here as I see you have a several page thread please fill me in. The truck is really mean lookin'. I use to channel and chop like yours on several cars in the past but today at my age:D I can't twist my neck like I could at 20 to 30 years young (then!) so my cars today are taller. Not because they look mean:cool: or cool it is because of arthritis and old joints! So I couldn't ride far in that thing (truck):eek:
    I LOVE your Tig welding done on your manifold! Keep up the good work. Again You have a nightmare to work on and keep it tuned. Only carbs that you will have to idle adj are the 2 primary center carbs. The other's should NOT leak ANY air until they are opened.
    Joe in Mo

27. 6 deuces on a blower...is Littleman watching this ???????...ha ha ha

28. Cali4niaCruiser

Cali4niaCruiser

I think those 2G's look great. Its something different. Awesome truck!

29. Mat Thrasher

Mat Thrasher

I guess looking somewhat cluttered is one of the drawbacks of running multiple carbs on top of a supercharger, especially these. To me I don't think it looks any more cluttered then guys running 8 97's. Plus I think turning them sideways really helped the top heavy look.

As far as the Webers, truthfully I never really thought about it. In all honesty if were going to spend a bunch more money. I would of kept the setup the same as it was N/A a put a couple of F-1 Prochargers on it blowing trough the Rochesters. That's what my first plan was, but I didn't want drop a bunch more cash in it. I've had this 8-71 for years and even tried to sell it a couple of times. One day I saw it in the basement and I thought why the hell don't I toss my Rochesters on top and give that a try. Plus as it's starting to come together I really like it. The Webers look too high tech, I'd rather have my primitive 2G'S. :)

Fuel slosh is one of my concerns turning these sideways. Why do Holleys run right sideways? I guessing center hung floats? My plan is to get it all together then hammer out those issues. I was just looking at my mockup carbs. I think if I had to I could make a bracket to drop in the bowl to change to center hung floats. I don't know it's just an idea right now.

I'm always open to people comments or experiences on this. Does anybody else have any experience turning carbs sideways and float problems/ fuel slosh?

Joe you're welcome take a ride anytime!

It is tuned really good N/A so I'm keeping my fingers crossed I can do it again supercharged.

To everybody else thanks for the positive comments!

Last edited: Dec 16, 2013