Register now to get rid of these ads!

Shoebox air ride conundrum

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 4fingeredwill, Sep 12, 2013.

1. 4fingeredwill

4fingeredwill

Hey all, I am in the process of bagging my shoebox. This is my first air ride experience and after months of googling I still have some questions. I have an s10 front clip, two dominator 2500 bags and two dominator 2600 bags, The frame is notched and I just got my 4 link in the mail. Most of what I can find says run the 2600's up front and the 2500's in the back. This would cause for the spring pockets to be cut out significantly, plus the 2600's have a longer stroke which I find more desirable for the back. ( live in a mountain city)What are the pro's and cons for running the 2600's in the back as far as the ride goes? can I just run them in the back and keep the air pressure a little lower? Or will it be bouncy? Can I make up the ride difference with stiffer shocks in the back? I always fancied myself a logical guy, but damn this air ride stuff gets me out of sorts. I would love to see pics of shoebox set ups, of course!

2. xmb63

xmb63
    from pittsburgh

I would run the 2500s in the front. The dominators balloon a good bit when they have air pressure in them. I have 2500 dominators on the front of my bagged and bodied s 10 and they ride great.

3. xmb63

xmb63
    from pittsburgh

The 2600s should be fine on the back, it will ride pretty good if your doing bag on or behind the axle. if you are doing bag on the bar it may be a little soft depending where the bag it's mounted on the link bar.

4. tedster

tedster

I don't mean to hijack this thread or start a screaming match. Maybe someone can answer my question. I thought I read somewhere here a week or so ago that there would be no more s10 clipped, air bagged, etc stuff accepted. I am thinking that now it is acceptable because of it being altho not traditional it is traditionally styled. Help me out here am I correct or not. Just curious, one way or another I know don't read it if you don't like it.

5. BlownMerc

BlownMerc
    from Jerome

I would recommend running the 2500's in front and the 2600's in the rear. You will still need to trim the spring pocket for the 2500's but it will be minimal compared to trying to fit the 2600 in front. Let me know if you have any questions, I work for Air Lift. :D

6. 4fingeredwill

4fingeredwill

Thanks BlownMerc and Xmb63. That is just what I wanted to hear:). I am sure I will be hitting you up in the future for further advice! I appreciate your willingness to help!
    I have been searching this forum for a while now and I am familiar with the nonsense about peoples opinions of "tradition". While I am new to forums and to this forum. I was under the impression that this was a place for people with the same passion and love for cars to help each other out and share info. I don't know, or really care, what another random guy 300 miles away from me opinion of traditional is, and I don't really get why anyone cares:confused: Hot rodding to me has always been about loving cars, challenging yourself, doing what you think is cool and spending time with the people you love. I have had this car for 20 years and built it the first time with my old man and now we are going through it again. If that isn't tradition enough for you then maybe you need to evaluate why it bothers you so badly?
    I made it clear in my introduction what my intentions were for my car. None of the moderators told me I wasn't welcome here, probably because they would lose half their members if they didn't want guys like me here. Or maybe because they don't believe in forcing their opinions on other people? Who knows?
    Tedster, that wasn't an attack on you in anyway. You were clear you are just asking a question. The only thing I can tell you is that I posted it and then got a PM saying that they were moving it this section.
    Let us not forget what I assume brought us all here in the first place, OUR LOVE FOR CARS. Rant over!

7. tedster

tedster

I understand everything you said. I am not coming down on your car or your build. IMO s10 clips are in no way traditional. But that is just my opinion. Your car, you enjoy it and that is what counts.

8. ACinSD

ACinSD

The traditional comments are sort of funny IMO. Isn't air suspension in general a modern era thing? Good luck with your build, bag it and enjoy it. I have a bagged '49 Chevy 2 door Fleetline sedan with a Mustang clip and blown small block. It drives like a dream.

9. Redheadedlefty13

Redheadedlefty13
    from Avon, Ohio

i dont understand all this traditional nonsense on custom..if its custom, its custom..are you telling me that guys back in the 60s going to junkyards and pulling stuff out of more modern vehicles to throw in their roadsters. s10 clips are way better for air ride then mustang II and in general a better overall suspension..hell my thread got shut down bc i have a fuel injected 5.0 with aod, ford explorer rear axle, and i am about to go pull the front suspension off of a supra...ya thats right supra, and make that fit...why bigger brakes, better geometery, and i can get the entire clip for less then $200..

10. lowasphk

lowasphk

Exactly why I havent started a build thread for the Buick. It will probably get shut down. I dont know why it matters so much if its bagged. No its not something traditional but I know it rides a hell of a lot better than cutting springs and it riding like shit.

11. xmb63

xmb63
    from pittsburgh

If you check out the s10forum.com in the bagging it section you should be able to find pics of cut spring pockets, dehumped lower arms, and pie cut upper arms.

12. BlownMerc

BlownMerc
    from Jerome

Air Lift, which is the company that built the bags that the OP is using, has been around since 1949, just sayin'

We are all car guys lets just enjoy and support what each other is building! I would be willing to bet most of the traditional cars are running 350 Chevy's that were built in the 70's and 80's and I don't care as long as someone is building the car they want to build and enjoy. :eek:

13. 4fingeredwill

4fingeredwill

Solid advice. I will check it out

14. drptop70ss

drptop70ss
    from NY

I think the whole idea of this separate forum is for traditional looking cars with maybe non traditional parts that are hidden..at least that is what I am hoping. The hardcore 100 percent traditional builds have their own forums. I think splitting it up this way is great, I love the looks of the old iron but it doesnt mean I want to use king pins and drum brakes on my build. No easter egg street rod builds, just cool old cars with maybe some updates.
    This site has always had great tech and members with hands on experience, now when the time comes that I build that model A I can get advice in one forum and when I build my clipped AD truck I can get advice here. Win Win all around and the forums will grow with the intended material.
    Of course then I could be completely wrong!

Looking forward to more air suspension info as I am looking into doing one in the future.