Register now to get rid of these ads!

51 chevy suspension setup

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by pat59, Sep 12, 2013.

1. Hey guys,
    My 51 fleetline has the original leafsprings with 2" lowering blocks and airshocks on a (70s) chevy 10 bolt rear. (I bought it like that) So the airshocks are beat and i wanna put something under there that'll give me some ridability and was thinking coilovers. anybody do that with leafs? I have no idea which size to get. I've been reading up on them and nearest I can figure is to measure the total length of the shock at ride height and add 40% for total length. Is that right? any other thoughts?
    -Pat

2. Gregg Pellicer

Gregg Pellicer

Just replace the shock's with new one's . That's all I have on my 51 and ride's great.
    Gregg

3. Gregg,
    Thanks for the reply. Anybody else have any thoughts on this?
    -Pat

4. 5DeuceSled

5DeuceSled

Im not sure if you will be able to find any that will bolt in. Plus adding coilovers will add an extra spring (you'll have leafs and coils) and will make the ride very stiff. I would just get new shocks like Gregg said. Unless you get a bolt in 4 link from TCI then you can put a set of coilovers on, or air bags, but you are getting into a lot of money there. My 52 Fleet has de-arched leafs and 3 inch blocks and new shocks, and it rides great, and looks cool!

5. 1955IHC

1955IHC

Coil overs are intended to suspend a link type suspension. There's no reason to add them to your car with leaf springs. I would instal some quality shocks and you should be ready to go. You can also instal new bushings and liners on the leaf springs and really make a huge improvement in ride quality.

Sent via Western Union Express.

6. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

We have the stock rear springs, with coil wrapped, overload shocks on a 51 to help prevent side roll, that's supposed to be a problem with the stock springs after going to an open drive line. We have NO body roll, only a little side-to-side movement by moving the car by hand back-and-forth, and it boosted the car up a little. We used shocks meant for the Tri-Five cars since that's what I had on hand. The 51 Bus Coupe has a Street Gasser stance to it with big and little Cragar S/S wheels and tires; the front suspension was blocked up 2 inches at the cradle, so the ride is't affected. Butch/56sedandelivery.

7. kcbeardclub

kcbeardclub
    from KCMO

my buddy has a 52 fleetline with coil overs as well as leafs, it feels like your sitting on a donkey, I have a 51 with stock leafs and new shocks, like sitting on a cloud until I got a little over-ambitious and lowered it a bit too much, it rode like a covered wagon. .....

8. Maybe I'll try the regular shocks then. I was thinking that the coilovers (or even shockwaves). would give me some adjustability and a decent ride. I like the way it sits with the 2" blocks in the rear. I just don't know how the regular shocks would do with say 4 people in the car. Not that I'll drive around with 4 people in the car alot. I'd just like to be able to.
    Right now with the air shocks a little air and they rise the back up 3-4 inches and if i take the air out it bounces around too much.
    -Pat

9. 1955IHC

1955IHC

My father has the same set up as you on his 54. There is a minimum air pressure setting on the air shocks. I believe it's in 25-30 psi range. You may want to look in that as his car rides great.

Sent via Western Union Express

10. 1955IHC,
    Thanks for the tip. I'll give that a try.
    -Pat

11. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

Does the top of the shocks mount to the body like the ones on my '50 Chevy? If so I wouldn't run air shocks cause they will tear the shock mount out of the body after a while.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2013
  12. 1955IHC

1955IHC

Yes they do but with moderate use they will be fine. If your attempting to jack the ass end up like a 70's street machine that's a whole other deal.

Sent via Western Union Express

13. 5DeuceSled

5DeuceSled

I shouldn't have said my 52 rides "great", but it rides ok for what it is. if you hit a good sized bump (and we have plenty in PA) it will give your kidneys a shot. For everyday running around its not bad and has a floaty Cadilliac feel. My buddies dad has the same car and runs air shocks and pumps them up a bit and it rides even better. In the long run, I would eventually like to have a long arm or 4 link underneath.

14. 54 Chevy

54 Chevy

you might look at replacing the springs with a kit for Chassis Engineering or TCI. It could be your springs are getting weak. You should not need the air shocks.

15. thewaxhead

thewaxhead

Out of interest what brand of air shocks are you running at the moment? Thanks

16. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

There isn't anything to be gained by coil overs compared to leaf springs. You don't have much suspension travel if it is lowered. The kidney shot Deucesled mentioned comes from the axle bottoming against the frame. So, softer springs will make that worse.

Stock springs with a good set of shocks or air shocks about as good as you will get without C-ing the frame.

17. my 52 had de-arched springs on 3" blocks with properly calculated gas shocks and it rode like a dream. your biggest problem is going to be bottoming out on the frame. easily overcome with a small c-notch in the frame and some real nice snubbers.

18. I removed the air shocks (monroes) last month. And looked up what monroes would fit my 51 chevy with a 73 camaro rear. Same number for both cars, same also for the 55 chevy too. So that's what I bought and installed. Car rides much better with the regular shocks. (To me anyway)
    But I noticed it had the drivers side sag in the rear springs, about an 1 1/2 difference from side to side. I might just put a new set of springs on it after winter.
    -Pat