Register now to get rid of these ads!

Wiring help for flaming river steering column

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dan859, Sep 12, 2013.

1. Dan859

Dan859

Hi everyone!
    I'm trying to wire in a Flaming River steering column into my 64 Comet. The car came with the F.R. column installed, but no wiring hooked up. I've got a wiring schematic for the comet and the schematic for the F.R. wiring harness. My problem is that I don't know what to hook up to what in order to get everything to work. For example, it seems to me that the green wire from the stop light switch should go to the white "brake light switch" wire on the F.R. harness, but when I hook them up, I don't get any brake lights. Also, what wires should I hook up to the purple "turn signal power" wire and the brown "hazard power" wires on the F.R. harness? Thanks in advance!
    Dan

2. Maybe! The F.R. Col is wired GM colors. If so use a GM guide as a start. Then get a diagrham for the comet. That will get you going I think. Most FR columns I've seen have GM switch. That's my two cents.

3. aaggie

aaggie

Call Flaming River and they will get you the instructions for the pin out on your column.

4. Dan859

Dan859

I've got the wiring diagram for both the Comet and the F.R. harness. My question/problem is what wires from the comet go to what wires on the F.R. harness. Specifically, what comet wire goes to the F.R. "turn signal power" wire, and what comet wire goes to the F.R. "hazard power" wire? Thanks!
    Dan

5. 24riverview

24riverview

Assuming you know what the column wiring is (if not post the colors), this should be the Comet wiring-
    Blue-turn flasher input
    Green/orange-left rear
    Green/white-left front
    Green-brake switch
    White/blue-right front
    Orange/blue-right rear
    You'll need to add another flasher for the 4-way wire, usually it's powered by the same fuse as the brake lights.

6. you are going to need: left front turn , right front turn , left rear turn/brake , right rear turn/brake , power in from brake light switch , power in from turn signal flasher , power in from hazard flasher , wire to horn relay

do you see them on the flaming river diagram? do you see them on the comet diagram?

7. Green from brake switch to white is right. But to get brake lights, you have to hook up those wires from the column, too.

Stop, I went and got the closest manuals, '60-'63 Falcon and '69 Cadillac. If some of the colours don't match, get your own manuals!!

Here goes:
    Falcon (Comet) to column.
    Green/Orange (left rear stop/turn) to yellow
    Orange/Blue (Right rear stop/turn) to dark green
    Green/White (Left front turn) to Light blue
    White/Blue (Right front turn) to Dark blue
    Blue (flasher) to Violet
    Green (stop lamp) to White
    Blue/Yellow (horn) to Black
    There is no hazard flasher on my Falcon diagram. If you DO have such, the flasher lead goes to Brown
    If your Comet has one turn indicator, the leads go to each front light power lead (one to the Green/White, the other to the White/Blue). The indicator grounds through the unused light.

And now I must rest my sore eyes. The Cadillac diagram has more wires than Chicago has crooked politicos.

Cosmo

8. Dan859

Dan859

Just want to say thanks to everyone who replied. I've got everything wired, and it all works! Thanks, guys!