Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Good exhaust setup (tone/function)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Big Mac, Sep 12, 2013.

1. Big Mac

Big Mac
    1. Utah HAMBers

I had the exhaust done on my '54 and the damn thing sounds like a john deer tractor. I ran 2.5" pipe and cheapo turbo mufflers. What's a good setup for a nice sound and decent performance? More concerned about sound, since this isn't a race car. I have a 327 fuelie motor with a mild cam in it. Thoughts? 2 inch with glass packs? 2.5" with magnaflows? I really like the older sound... Just wondering what others have done. Thanks.

Mac

2. 1954fordkustom

1954fordkustom

I like the way smittys sounds.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

3. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

2 inches max + Porter mufflers = awesomeness.

4. F-6Garagerat

F-6Garagerat

I don't think you'll ever get the vintage sound your after with a modern muffler. I have a 1957 283 dual quad short block with a Fenton Tri Power and three 97's in my A pickup. I plan to run 2" pipe with either Porters, Smithys, or even Cherry Bomb makes the old style glass packs again. Search YouTube for those brand mufflers, there are quite a few videos.

5. I just did my Merc with a 327/300 hp in it 2" pipes with Raptor Turbo Glass Pack mufflers & to me it is to Quite but they say after you run it for about a week they Brake in, we shall see if its Too Quite I will Run Straight Pipes

Just my 3.5 cents

6. powrshftr

powrshftr

If you want loud try some Dynomax race bullets....they're small,they're only about $30 each,and your neighbours will HATE them...Hahahaaaaa!
    I have them on an o/t ride with a sbf,four speed,and deep gears,and they are obnoxious!:D

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

7. Big Mac

Big Mac
    1. Utah HAMBers

Definitely not looking for LOUD. I just want a nice tone... deep, rumbling low tone. And I'm not a big fan of the "braaaapppp" sound when it's revved up.

8. Yep. PURE awesomeness.

9. Gman0046

Gman0046

My 63 BelAir (my avatar) as a 350 TPI, Tremec 5 speed with a complete Magnaflow system from the full length fenderwell headers, mufflers and to the tips which exit just behind the rear wheels. Not sure I really like the mufflers as they really start to rap when you start getting after it. It draws to much attention.
    Now my 56 BelAir with a warmed over 350, M-22, fenderwell Hooker headers, H pipe, Flowmaster 40's and the exhaust straight out the back sounds better then anything else I've heard yet. It doesn't have the rapping noise of the Magnaflow system. It really sounds bad in a good way. I attribute the great sound to the H pipe.

10. I've got smitty's on my 56 292 and love em

11. Star 351

Star 351

12. clockwork31

clockwork31

Appearantly Brockman Mellow tone (steelpack) has a nice low rumble tone, that's what I bought for my 327 but they're not installed yet.

13. devinshaw

devinshaw

I just ran exhaust on my 55 chevy and wanted a vintage sound, just didn't want it to sound like everyone's street strip nova. I didn't want to kill the power with 2" pipes as this motor should make 430hp, I did 2.5" with the long smithy's and the sound is a nice deep mellow rumble and fits the bill pretty good. I don't think they are really the best thing for performance at this level and I called pertronix who makes these and had no cfm ratings available but I like the sound enough to stick with em for now.

14. mattrod68

mattrod68

porters and either 2 or 2.25 pipe for your sbc

15. boucher racing

boucher racing
    from nashville

2" duals with glasspack Brockman Mellowtones. Love the sound!

<a href="<iframe width=" 480"="" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/MPIpZqq9b1Y?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen="">"><a href="<iframe width=" 480"="" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/MPIpZqq9b1Y?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen=""><iframe src="//www.youtube.com/embed/MPIpZqq9b1Y?rel=0" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="360" width="480"></iframe>

16. Big Mac

Big Mac
    1. Utah HAMBers

Ya that truck sounds good. I like that....

17. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

My feelings exactly. my Nomad has 2 inch pipe with some unknown brand 39" long glass packs (have not been able to find any others that long). It is deep, rumbling, low toned and no braaaaappppp.

18. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

Brockman makes them in a variety of lengths, and will stuff them with glass, steel, or leave them empty.
    If you dont' want loud, or rap, get them long as possible, and glass filled.

19. jer11ren

jer11ren

I'm running the shorty Porters on a 283 with 2 inch pipe. Switched from smithys.... Sounds incredible now, just waiting for them to break in to sound even better. Listen to some porters. Nothing worse than a period looking with modern muffs in my opinion.

20. Samson baffles in homemade 2" stainless steel zoomies...!

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Th8IXITh6aw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Well at least I liked it!

Last edited: Sep 14, 2013
  21. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

2" and Smittys. Works great !

4TTRUK

22. slinginrods

slinginrods
    from florida

Nice olds. Sounds angry. :)

23. The whole car was "Pissed"!

God I miss it!