Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Pop's Coupe

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by racer32, Sep 3, 2013.

1. man, i would luv to get my hands on one of these model(s) ..... =/

2. racer32

racer32

I've been scouring the interwebs for a ready-made spacer, but no luck so far. My drums have sort of a shelf (for lack of a better word) around the inner part of them near where the hub comes through. As best I can measure, it sticks out about .220" past the area where the studs are. I've been told that one can stack washers and take up the space, but that sounds a little "iffy". It also doesn't address the space (3/8") between the inner diameter of the wheel and the outer of the hub where the wheel should register.

3. racer32

racer32

There's LOTS of them still out there, but not a lot of them in the shape I found mine. Most of the the solid ones are either REALLY nice (read expensive) restored cars. Most of the unrestored cars are rough as a cob, or missing parts (read expensive to fix). I looked a long time for this one.

4. Great project Racer32! I like the direction you are taking with it (as if you need my approval :rolleyes:) and wondered if you had a pic of your "Pop's" coupe - or did I miss that in the thread? Would love to see the inspirational car that got you wishin'/thinkin'.

-Dave

5. carmuts

carmuts

Always liked rafter views of modle A's. Rod

Attached Files:

6. racer32

racer32

Dave, I've yet to find one. Pops was a dirt-poor, rural Oklahoma farm kid. My grandmother raised him on my grandfather's Army pension, selling a few cows, and what she made working at the school in the cafeteria. There weren't many photos taken. The only ones I've found of Pops from the late 50's to around '60 were his school pics. Working off of memories from him telling me about the car over the years.

Russ B

7. teddyt

teddyt
    from U.S.

Gotta love the lines of a Model A coupe. In my opinion,......it is one of Henry's most beautiful creations.

8. R Pope

R Pope

Those A hubs will accept 16" wires perfectly with no mods. Don't grind the high spots down, you WILL regret it later!

9. 16" wires, yes. But 16" steelies, no.

10. racer32

racer32

Headed to a swap meet today to look for some 16" wires and banger speed parts.

11. Pick me up some of those speed parts if theres extra's!!!!!!!!!!

12. racer32

racer32

No Banger speed parts. Zero. Zip. Nada. I did see a couple of Stromberg 81's, but they were pretty roached, and not a single downdraft banger manifold.

I DID find two decent 16" wheels, and on impulse I bought a pair of very good 17's.

13. I'm a fan of 17's my self. What kind of swap meet is on a Friday. Around here there usually Sunday sometimes Saturday.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

14. NielsK

NielsK
    from Denmark

Hey I know that one. It's a Danish car. It's owned by Tim from "Pirate Kustomz". It's stock except the carburettors, 1½" SU's on a homemade manifold. I did those for my car. Tim used them to get it running.

15. racer32

racer32

NeilsK, I linked the pic from Jesper Bram's website...he did the lettering. I happened to see it the other day, and LOVE the way the car looks. I saw the SU carbs. Might be cool to see some pics of how they're set up.

16. racer32

racer32

PROGRESS TODAY: Carburetor rebuilt and back in. Fuel line run and sediment bowl mounted. 19" wheels are back on. New belt-which took HOURS to put on, because I had to jack up the front of the engine and work on the front motor mount (anyone got a good front yoke???). Radiator support rods straightened, because they looked like cooked spaghetti. Radiator mounted and hoses replaced. Worked on getting rear fenders and running boards off. Penetrating oil and time may keep me from buggering up sheet metal held together with those damn carriage bolts. And I took my wife to lunch.

17. racer32

racer32

So far all I've gotten is a little bit of spudda spudda spudda and a lot of blue smoke from the Marvel Mystery Oil I put in the cylinders. :(

18. racer32

racer32

Been a while...I killed the starter, rebuilt it, and now I've got the engine running well! Now I have to figure out how to get the clutch plate un-stuck from the flywheel. MAN I want to drive this thing!!!

19. F&J

F&J

have you tried yard driving it? Get a bit of speed in 1st, then let off the gas quick. All this while clutch pedal is held down. Repeat.

20. racer32

racer32

That's on the "Things to Try" list, but my shop is in kind of a narrow space. I'm hoping I can get it freed up without driving it around with the clutch stuck and no brakes. :eek:

21. What could go wrong? :D

22. manyolcars

manyolcars

I recommend a Model B type, you can make one. I did. A high compression head is the best thing you can do for the car followed by an 84-87 F150 3 speed with overdrive. Use electronic ignition

23. I too like others got lucky finding my 30' coupe. It's a stock driver. I'm working on getting it into the garage, so I can start working on it. My plan is to drop a flathead into it, change out the 19" spokes. Convert it over to juice brakes. Update the interior. A new paint job. I'm going for a 50's rod.

Streetrods maybe driven by Chevy, but hotrods are powered by FORD!

Attached Files:

24. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

While the red coupe you fancy is neat looking, I think Joe's coupe sits better and looks a lot nicer, stance and rake wise. The red one just looks like a stocker with the fenders removed, way too much air between the body and tires, IMHO. One way it's just another "stripper" the other way it's hot rodded. Gary

[​IMG]

25. ^^^^^^I like alot.^^^^^

Keep after it racer.

26. Cool project. Keep at it and try to keep in time frame as much as you can.
    Yo can run 17 inch wheels in front and 16 inch in back and look cool.
    Put the 17s in front with 5:00 or 5:50s and 16s in back with 7:50s and you get an automatoc rake. All Hot Rods need rake!
    Check the picture of mine with 17 front 16 rear. It also helps to drop the front axle or at least reverse the spring.
    Good luck.

Attached Files:

27. Check out DeLuxe Speed shops stuff. A family of hot roders here in Colorado. They do some way cool vintage builds. Scott & Brian McCain have great info. This is Brian's car.

Attached Files:

28. barett

barett
    from Taylor TX

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1382153938.812007.jpg
    Saw that car here close to home in the spring and fell in love...

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

29. What size wheel I wonder? ^^^