Register now to get rid of these ads!

Yet another Classis Car Insurance Question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bmartin, Sep 11, 2013.

1. Bmartin

Bmartin
    from mesa,az

I've been calling around to get quotes on my 1940 Plymouth. I've called American Modern, American Collector, Grundy, and Hagerty. They all seem to have similar policies for collector cars. The one issue that I am having with all of them is overnight parking, not in a garage when on a road trip. Unless I am at an official car show/function, Its got to be stored in a garage at night. I really want to be able to take the occasional road trip up to the mountains and stay at a hotel or campground. The only other option I found was with Safeco, but their agreed value policies are only agreed value on a total loss. Repair limits of liability are based on Actual Cash Value. So the car could get totaled out a lot easier. They have almost no limitation except for mileage. The rest of my insurance is through USAA and they partner with American Modern and Collector for classic cars.

The initial representative from Grundy said a road trip would be no problem, but when I called back to a different person, its seemed to be an issue.

Anyway, if you have any suggestions, please let me know.

2. chopped

chopped

It's never been an issue when on a trip, ask the tens of thousands who do it.

3. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

4. no55mad

no55mad

Check with 'Chrome'. Its their classic car division, through the ANPAC co., an old insurance company out of Missouri. They don't cover all states however.

5. 117harv

117harv

6. dogwalkin

dogwalkin
    from tn

I ran into this trying to insure my Buick about a month ago. I used safeco. I have a feeling if a lot more people looked at the fine print on there policies they would be shocked.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

7. Bmartin

Bmartin
    from mesa,az

There is a lot of back and forth in that thread. But Grundy seems the most likely to support a claim made at a hotel parking lot or camp ground.

Anyone have their Grundy policy handy? I'd be curious to read the exact wording.

Now I have to convince USAA to accept Grundy under my Umbrella and not force me to American Collector or Modern.

8. Fords-R-Us

Fords-R-Us
    from NE Iowa

Did mine thru "Continental Western", I've never had a claim, so i can't tell how good they are with that, but I'm happy with their rates.