Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Drum Brakes

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by bridger, Sep 12, 2013.

1. bridger

bridger

i have 39-48 ford master cylinder ,where the brake line comes out of the cylinder should there be a adjustable proportining valve where it tees of to the front and back ? i cant quiet make it out on all the old diagrams i have found on the net . And what size tube should be used with drums ?
    Cheers

2. 1wrench

1wrench
    from Michigan

Just did lines on a '63 e100 truck. Drums around. The lines were 3/16" there were 2 ports on the m/c and the front wheel cylinders and rear cylinders have different bore sizes. That's how they are proportioning the bias. Don't know if your setup is the same

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

3. Try these diagrams:

http://www.vanpeltsales.com/FH_web/...s/Flathead_Brakes_mastercylinder_1939to46.jpg

http://www.vanpeltsales.com/FH_web/FH_images/FH_brakes-pics/Flathead_Brakes_system_1939to42.jpg

and no, as you can see there should not be an adjustable proportioning valve if you are talking about a stock system.

The original system used 1/4 inch brake lines (and it worked fine) and I suggest you stay with that size to make it easier to find fittings.

Most parts are available from local parts houses or the antique Ford parts suppliers. Two sources tat specialize in the early Ford brakes are: Richard Lacy at [email protected], (626) 338-2282, Dennis Cling at clingsaftermarket.com

Charlie Stephens

Last edited: Sep 12, 2013
  4. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

There is a residual check valve in the master cyl, but proportioning valves didn't begin to show up until the dual systems, circa 1967.

Wheel cyl bore sizes; Ford wheel cyls (39 thru 48) have 2 different bore sizes in each cyl. The "larger" size operates the forward facing (primary) shoe, and the "smaller" bore operates the rear facing (secondary) shoe. Because of the way the lines connect, there are left and right wheel cyls.

This is with the factory stock brake systems.

4TRUK

5. bridger

bridger

Thankyou all for your advice

6. old hickory

old hickory

Thanks for the info, valuable stuff.

7. Glenn Thoreson

Glenn Thoreson
    from SW Wyoming

Stock brakes of that era did not have proportioning valves.

8. Stay with the stock 1/4 inch steel brake line size. Ford designed it that way. Works flawless.