Register now to get rid of these ads!

No brake lights on my 56 buick wagon

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bruce Fischer, Sep 11, 2013.

1. Ok Guys got the exhaust on the 56 buick wagon and she seems to be running smooth.{I still have to get the gas tank boiled out and sealed}I want to take it out for a test drive but I have no brake lights .I put in a new sending unit. I pulled the wires off the switch and tested for power .I have power to one side but no power to the other wire even with the brake pedal depressed .I jumped the wires going to the sending unit and the taillights come on .I have parking lights and the turn signals work .Any what idea what I should be looking for ? Thanks Bruce.

2. Have you replaced the brake light switch? HRP

3. bobfrev

bobfrev

if you have juice to the switch but none coming out on the other lead when the brake is depressed and if you jump the switch out and your brake lights come on,,,,you just did all your trouble shooting, its the switch thats bad

4. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

Yep; jump the switch wires =brake lights on bad switch. Still no brake lights= turn signal switch under the wheel. Just remember the old partsman's saying " just because it's NEW don't mean it is GOOD" !

5. Yes its new.Thanks Bruce.

6. So what would you all do get another switch or Take the steering wheel apart? Thanks Bruce.

7. Bruce, if you have power to one side and you press the switch and no power comes out the other side. But you bypass the switch and the lights work. Hello. Switch. Ssimple things kill us all everyday.

8. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The plunger in the brake light switch may be stuck in place due to normal corrosion from sitting there for years but I'm with them, bad switch.

9. Ok guys I have 2 wires going to the brake light switch diconected them both I have power coming out of 1 wire all the time, and when i put the test light on the other wire with the brake pedal depressed ther is no power coming out of the other wire so how can the switch be bad?Thanks for all the input.Bruce.

10. BigAl1961

BigAl1961

1 is the feed wire and the one with no power goes to the brake lights, and it shouldn't have any power until the switch gives it power.

11. BigAl thanks for the information.I will try it again.Bruce.