Register now to get rid of these ads!

Engine choise for my rod!?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by christensen, Sep 11, 2013.

1. christensen

christensen
    from sweden

Hi hambers! I have a problem, im building a rod and can't chose what motor i should have? I building it to have fun whit it, go for a spin downtown, redlight race or lay off some smoke. Im going back an forward between 350 chevy whit three stromberg 97 ect ect or a 8ba flatty whit edmunds heads, intake holly 94 carbs.

I know the flatty is genuine and old school, i like that, but i already got the chvey 350 in the garage

Please give me your opinion !

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

2. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

Trick question! There is only one correct answer to be new-HAMB-era-correct: the flattie.

3. matthew mcglothin

matthew mcglothin

Got a 153ci 4 banger in mine . It will scoot too! Has a few hop up parts on it. It's out of a mercruiser boat. Same engines that came in chevy II 's in the 60's. hey its different , and has a good sound too!

4. mustang6147

mustang6147
    from Kent, Ohio

whats your rod??

I like Ford in Ford.... Chevy in Chevy ..... Mopar in mopar....

5. leroux

leroux
    from SoCAl

there are some old French Flatties over there too. run the 350..cause ya got it. build the motor...and swap when you get bored. like taking your wife to the plastic surgeon after a few years of showing off...to freshen her up to show off again.

6. 48FordFanatic

48FordFanatic
    from Maine

The SBC is the best engine ever built. For looks , reliability, parts availability and performance , why would you consider anything else .

7. silent rick

silent rick

8. Coyote13

Coyote13
    from Dallas, TX

Says a self proclaimed FordFanatic??? Holy bejesus, what is the world coming to....

Though I do agree. You already have the 350, run it!

9. mink

mink
    from CT

Can you please explain what a choise is?

10. eightbanger

eightbanger

What he said.

11. hotrodhoodlum

hotrodhoodlum
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

sbc economical to build and you can dress it up any way you want to
    match the style you are going for
    plus if you break down it is a lot easier to get parts to get back on the road

12. Nothing wrong with a sbc,I've had flattys ,sbc,Y-blocks and buicks,,use what you have. HRP

13. Flathead is the best choice. Also the most expensive. You may want to use what you have for now and enjoy it sooner. But I would go flathead.

14. How much do you want to spend? Is budget an issue? If so use the SBC you already have.

15. ironpile

ironpile

Unless you are fluent in flatheads and have a ck book with a lot of big numbers in the balance colum.I recommend the sbc and a 4bbl of your choice. My opinion only ,just do what you are comfortable with.:D

16. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

Go with the Henry Flatmotor !!!!

4TTRUK

17. Leviman

Leviman

In Sweeden? Put a Saab V4 in it! Or a 2-stroke! Actually, I do want to build a 2 stroke car some day.

18. christensen

christensen
    from sweden

Thanks for your comments! Maybe it's not right car with flatty, its chopt 6 inch and channled 4 inch . I already got a 8.8" rear end ,th350 ! I scored the engine, gearbox, rear end,intake for just under 3000 dollar and the flatty will cost 3500! And thats only engine

19. Speed Gems

Speed Gems

Save your money, Build the hemi or flathead.

20. aussie57wag

aussie57wag
    from australia

Ok so sbc is a cheep motor to get you going. But no mater how you dress it up you will find a few that look the same at rod runs. No will take a second look at a small block chev.
    sbc's for street rods, flatheads, yblocks, hemis, etc for hotrods

21. Simply, the sbc.

22. Model A John

Model A John
    from wichita ks

Who cares what show goers look at? Small block Chevys are the best for reliability and low expense.

23. christensen

christensen
    from sweden

Sure it's cheap and so, got my csb dressed like a olds rocket so it wont scream chevy! But i cant choose :/
    The look, sound and feeling a flattie gives is hard to got with another motor, exept hemi or nailhead

24. Deloc

Deloc

I built a '34 Ford pickup years ago and used a '69 Volvo B20 engine, because I had it already. It worked great. Great amusement at car shows watching people trying to identify it.
    Deloc

25. 38FLATTIE

38FLATTIE
    from Colorado

Check out the Cadillac flatheads.

You'll be the only 'kid' on your block that has one! They're dependable, make WAY more HP than a Ford flattie, and they look cool!

They are not cheap to build, but 300-400 HP is a realistic goal for the street if you add a blower, 200-250 if you don't.

26. teddyp

teddyp

sbc way to go.

27. 6t5frlane

6t5frlane
    from New York

Because he wants to " Red light race and burn off some smoke with it " .......

28. Big Mac

Big Mac
    1. Utah HAMBers

Did I miss something here, or has he not told us what type of car this is going in???? Everyone recommending a flatty already.... he's probably building a '60 Falcon. LOL

What kind of car is it? How do you plan to use the car? What level mechanical skill do you have? etc. etc. etc.

Seems like the flathead has become the SBC of the HAMB.

Mac

29. Merc cruzer

Merc cruzer
    from Colorado

Someone once told me: "Real hot rods don't have valve covers"

Last edited: Sep 12, 2013
  30. christensen

christensen
    from sweden

My bad not to tell what car i got!!!
    Got a '29 A tudor, its chopt 5-6 inches and channeld 4 inch. Mostly i gonna have the car to take a spin downtown and go to meetings! As a mechanic i rarely sees any problems, has rebuilt a 4banger last winter. One thing with a flattie is here in sweden is it pretty common, almost as the csb. But the car regulations/laws is hard here so a csb is almost the biggest engine, according to hp, you can have in a model A frame.

With red light race i didnt thought of a super fast car! Just to hit the pedal and go :)

Guys this is really hard:)