Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Vintage Altereds

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hyde_Auto_Body, Sep 7, 2011.

1. Hyde_Auto_Body

Hyde_Auto_Body

It's only a .060 over 350 with the stock stroke.

2. A moment of silence please for great cars of a by gone era. I was involved in this one off and on for many years. In fact it was originally mine but I never finished it(got married). Several people have owned it and raced it since 1968. I was always involved in the power plants. Have even driven it a few times.
    Don

Attached Files:

3. Hyde_Auto_Body

Hyde_Auto_Body

Nice car Don.

4. Hyde_Auto_Body

Hyde_Auto_Body

I had to make several small changes since I posted on the car last. I had to replace the 2 gallon fuel tank with a 3.5 gallon tank since on alky it would use up every drop of fuel the two gallon tank held on a single quarter mile pass. Sometimes leaving me out of fuel on the return road. I also had to install a petcock in the oil pan to drain any alky that might get in the oil. Another new problem I'm facing now is it's pulling the front tires 3 ft off the ground. The model in the transbrake is 3000rpm which is the lowest RPM they make. I know they make a low RPM adjustable module to get below 3000 rpm and thats what I'll try next.

5. " No Hot Rods Allowed"
    In 2002, I was told that I wouldn't be allowed to run this car at an NHRA track anymore, even at ET's above 10 seconds.
    [​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

A vintage 70's altered, but changed and updated enough over the years to be way O/T for the HAMB. Coil overs, 'glide, discs on all four wheels.
    Car went straight like a string, in it's last iteration was made legal for 9:90 ET's.
    I was actually saved by the 20 something tech kid that outlawed me as after cleaning all the pretty paint off the cage we found it full of cracks and broken welds.
    There was no way he could have known that, he simply looked at the car, thought "vintage" and said "go away". There are virtually no tracks in the area aside from Denton, where you can run a "vintage" car and get to really air it out.
    You might be able to run under 10:00, but if you run under ten, or stand in it and it does what an altered wants to do, you get talked to in the pits.
    I think they are afraid of liability.

6. Hyde_Auto_Body

Hyde_Auto_Body

yeah I agree on the track liability being a concern and most likely the reason for hassles against older race cars meeting modern standards. I've been fortunate in that the non-sanctioned local tracks in Michigan have been more liberal. I'm sure you've noticed that spectators even at the local level love watching vintage altereds run. In fact, I've been called up from home on an off day to bring my car out to run other altereds that just happened to show up. They are just simply more fun to watch on average than the run in the mill bracket car to most people. I'll run mine as long as I'm allowed I suppose.

7. drofdar

drofdar
    from Fresno Ca

This car is the former "Mighty Mouse", of Gruzen Racing. It is solid axle and no front brakes, and they ran 7.60's with a blown SBC. I got the car as a roller from Joel, and re-did it as "Back In Black" as a tribute to the old yellow paint scheme. Since I only had a mild SBC, it now runs low 11's. Over the winter the motor will be upgraded and I plan to run it in NE III, a 9.60 class. All you need is chassis cert, competition license and pass tech. ANRA runs eliminator 1,2,3, and Open Wheel. No shortage of these vintage cars upgraded to modern safety requirements!

Attached Files:

• Bn'B.jpg
      Bn'B.jpg
      File size:
      474.5 KB
      Views:
  8. drofdar

drofdar
    from Fresno Ca

This is my girlfriend's Altered, "Lil' Missy", complete with pink lettering. When I found the cage to be too tight for me, I put a stock 283 from a 1965 Impala, and a T-350 trans behind it, and turned her loose! She leaves it in drive, stands on the brake and mashes the go pedal on green! It runs 13's, is a fun bracket car for her, and only needs to pass tech, no chassis cert required. The point being, with a proper cage, anyone can get into some low buck fun racing. By the way, being a slower car in a bracket race can be an advantage. People break out trying to run her down!

Attached Files:

9. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Oh yea, Comp eliminator is real "backyard" stuff...

10. rlsteel

rlsteel

1970 -289 4speed car. It was a monster.

Attached Files:

11. madmak95

madmak95

Built this one for the hamb drags. Installed a hilborn and Still tuning on it.

Sent from my DROID X2 using H.A.M.B. mobile app

Attached Files:

12. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

It was replaced with a Woody chassis T...

13. Hyde_Auto_Body

Hyde_Auto_Body

I want to update the hoop on the cage over the winter. The one that's on there now is not deep enough and needs to be raised about 2". I'll carefully remove my old one and have the new one made so that it will pass through the same points on the fiberglass body. To do this the leading tube or hoop will be almost straight up and down instead of the angle its at now. This way no other mods would have to be made to install it and the old style one could be reinstalled if a purist wanted to restore it.

14. Hyde_Auto_Body

Hyde_Auto_Body

Yep I switched to the Hilborn and am also still tuning it. It was a vintage 2 1/8" unit with the old style 90 degree nozzles that I found NOS on Ebay. It's only recommended up to 360 CI.

15. Well, here's one.

[​IMG]

16. I Drag

I Drag

[​IMG]

NOT vintage. It is an altered, not a dragster. I lengthened it to 190" wb. Sorry about the dark photo.

17. pnevells

pnevells

My son and I raced our nostalgia altered this past Sunday

Attached Files:

18. My favorite was the Bantams. I had a friend that drove one, always a handfull. I thought it would be scary as hell to race.

19. ET

ET
    from MO

We run this mid '60s altered clutchflite an all! Not quick low 11.0's but fun and the way is was meant to be - 96" wheelbase, 327 hilborn and an Olds Lincoln locker.
    ET

Attached Files:

• 002.jpg
      002.jpg
      File size:
      534.9 KB
      Views:
  20. Hyde_Auto_Body

Hyde_Auto_Body

It's nice to see there are actually a few out there running. The most I've ever seen show up at my local track was three including myself. I've always wanted to attend the HAMB drags but it always seems there's some other local summer event here I cant get out of and have to miss it. Are there a lot of altereds that show up at this event?

21. George Klass

George Klass
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

22. Don it is not the suspension that will get you thrown off the track it is saftey equipment infractions that will get you thrown off the track.

23. Hyde_Auto_Body

Hyde_Auto_Body

It really depends on the track. Some are more liberal that others. My car has all the basic safety equipment needed and so far the tracks I've ran in Michigan pass it.