Register now to get rid of these ads!

Counterfeit speed parts.......

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by sidevalve8ba, Sep 9, 2013.

1. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

The trick is to buy them with counterfit money.

2. BangerMatt

BangerMatt

3. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Read and mentioned this a while back. Good to see someone else noticed. It was a good read. Makes ya think about those cheap Ebay prices. Doesn't it?

4. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Truth. But no one wants to blame the US companies. They wouldn't:rolleyes: screw anyone over on purpose.

5. ol fueler

ol fueler

Check out Premier Industrial corp. in Cleveland.
    I worked for Premier Autoware , a division of Premier Industrial for about -15 years starting in about 1977 or so. I have no idea what the "supertitainium " name is or that Lawson used it in the 60's at all. "Supertanium" is the designation Premier placed on their line of premium hi-strength fasteners , all of which far exceeded grade 8 specs. They had no and never claimed to have any Titanium in them. At the time I worked for them and for a number of years previous the Supertanium fastener was the ONLY fastener that could be used on an Indy car, this came as a result of a bolt failure that caused an accident ( I believe it was on Tony Brettenhausens car) that killed a bunch of spectators. This led The Indy track to search for a company that could make a fastener that was good enough for the rigors of racing, they found that the BEST fastener tested was the shelf stock Supertanium of Premier, and it was then mandated by Indy as the ONLY one to be used.
    Lawson was one of the competitors we had at the time and by and large their product was imported and often found to have internal flaws and would often fail under stress----- "cheap junk" as I said.

Since I left Premier it has been bought out by an English company and the division I worked for is gone and possibly the entire fastener line because the English company is mainly in Electronics supply.

6. When U.S.A. companies move production to china it is so they can reduce their costs to rock bottom and continue charging their customers the "Made in U.S.A." price. Inevitably, part of that deal with the devil is that their intellectual property walks out the back door of the factory soon after it arrives and then the same product is bootleg manufactured with even less quailty. Can't say I feel bad for the companies involved. They're all big boys and they know the game but it sure does bite the little guy. Like the others have said, buy from a reputable vendor and if it looks to good to be true, well, you know the rest...

7. Actually, now that I read the article, I wonder if it's the manufacturing overseas that leads to this counterfeit stuff. If the things weren't being made over there to begin with for guys to see people making money selling them, I would imagine there'd be fewer folks copying them and shipping them here.

8. CruiserUser

CruiserUser

$650 will get a 100% made in America forged 4340 crank, Howards Tracksmart series. If you know where to look you can get them in the $450 range right now.

Not a Crower, Callies or Howards Pro series crank but not much more than an Eagle or Scat crank and stronger than what most hot rodders here would need.

9. krooser

krooser

10. That's freakin' hilarious!!! :D

Steve

11. in2hotrodz

in2hotrodz
    from Spiro, OK

I have personally seen rod bolts stamped "APR 8740". They couldn't even get three letters right. How is it you say Buyer Beware in Latin?

12. Nickerz

Nickerz
    from WISCONSIN

I sell parts for a living and non of these companies really give a rats ass. I used to spend all sorts of time trying to help companies with this stuff and they never did anything about it.

Also, I can tell you that a lot of these "counterfeit" parts are actually more like grey market goods. A lot of times a company orders 1000 parts from china, but the batch is made at 1200 for whatever reason (one or many parts have a minimum 1200 production). Those 200 parts get sold to companies who then sell it either as overrun, debadge it or sell it as authentic.

99\100 companies have no way of telling the difference or verifying anything. I would say literally only a handful of OEMs and Bosch care at all. I reported some serious violations to Delco and they replied "well what do you want us to do about it?"

OH I DON'T KNOW? POLICE YOUR BRAND YOU MORONS?

Watched another seller sell Chinese optisparks for years as AC Delco. They weren't even the right cap color! Delco did nothing about it.

I could write volumes about this stuff.

13. $um Fun

$um Fun
    from Nor Cal

You think this is bad, look where most of your food comes from especially seafood.

14. I was thinking the same thing...

Sam

15. TV

TV

Ya, I got my mag yesterday and read the article, it can scare the sheet out of you. At least we are getting a heads up on this stuff. Buy from the right people and pay the right price and all will be good.--TV

16. Muttley

Muttley

That was the same thought I had, it just doesnt seem like it would be worth the effort.

17. Airwolf

Airwolf

Do you ever wonder if the Chinese buy something that says "Made in China", that they think they're buying a quality item?

18. jersey greaser

jersey greaser

just got a dorman products crank dampener for a sb chevy
    http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/we...s_10032014-p?navigationPath=L1*14923|L2*15031
    from advanced auto parts,it would not fit, found it .020 to small on the id .a close look at the box read made in china,
    goes to prove even big name companies are out sourcing which leads to bad products

19. jesse1980

jesse1980

That's the idea!

20. I used to work in an auto parts store and Dorman was a good, reputable brand. I am sorry to hear they too have gotten on the "Chinese bandwagon".

21. pastlane

pastlane

========================================================

MSD filed chapter 11 bankruptcy... :(

22. oldsjoe

oldsjoe

I have used MSD products for years and have had very good customer service and product performance. BUT after reading that they are selling the company I better take a wait and see attitude. Very rarely does a company sell and the new owners take it to a better place it's usually hell in a hand bag.

23. krooser

krooser

One of the reasons they are in financial trouble is the Chi-Com knock-offs..

24. 51 BIRD

51 BIRD

Interesting Point,Airwolf. When I was in Indonesia,the mark of quality goods was a tag that read "Export Quality." Not counterfeit,just better quality stuff.

25. ol fueler

ol fueler

Nope , Bowman had "Bomalloy" -- not bad quality either --their sales practices just were underhanded.

26. I was looking at some of my old Rockford Air Tools that I have had forever the other day and was amazed to see they were made in Japan.

Remember when that was junk?

Last edited: Sep 12, 2013
  27. terryble

terryble
    from canada

Just bought some hose clamps today that have some wierd philips head flat combination Triton no less and they were crap I am sure they weren't made in the US or Canada.

28. stimpy

stimpy

Last edited: Sep 12, 2013
  29. stimpy

stimpy

I remember back in the 1970's-80s when Ford still owned Motorcraft and they were having problems with counterfeit parts big time and seeing pictures in my Dads company paper with several overseas containers opened on the docks and boxes pulled of counterfeit parts like caps and rotors and brake pads . all sub standard when tested by Ford . the boxes looked like the real deal except the Ford logos are what tipped them off , Ford never uses block letters they always used the oval script on the sides of the boxes. and they were finding these parts in the dealer network as dealers were buying them from WD sources instead of the Ford parts network .

when I hauled Os containers for a while I remember seeing us customs going thru containers with counterfit goods in them at the railheads , they unpack it then repack it , sendit to the destination and bust the reciever then destroy the items by running them over or grinding them up .

Illinois revenue dept has a counterfeit squad that patrols flea markets and such . and they do prosicute the sellers .