Register now to get rid of these ads!

1953 chevy chop live at greaserama

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by los punk rods dave, Sep 6, 2010.

1. chopped a 1953 chevy at greaserama this weekend took 3 1/2 inches out of a pillars , slanted post and slid rear bottom of frame forward and sunk the original glass in the channel worked perfect ! owner didnt want a radical chop will be a daily driver and wanted to still be pratical for his family , he will finish airbagging the suspension and engine swap next
    made a sheetmetal template of rear window braced to exact shape of window to use as a mockup for the fit so glass wouldnt be broken

Attached Files:

2. shot of window glass in , moved bottom of window frame forward 3 inches but cut patch fanel wide so i could hide the weld seam under the stainless trim , will make some rubber mounting brackets to hold the bottom of frame and the i will split the new rubber seal and black silicone the rubber to the frame and glass with the original chrome pieces around the glass and beltline trim just like the factory look , will post more detailed pics when i get them from my freind cos ( got busy and didnt take any pics during the chop )

Attached Files:

3. side pic and shot of sheetmetal template

Attached Files:

4. more pics, i suck at taking pictures!

Attached Files:

5. autoworx1

autoworx1
    from kansas

Dave, you did an amazing job on this car! I kept asking all the guys where all your help was?? Seemed like everytime I walked by you were chopping solo. Anyways, great job and next time slow down so we can learn something. This has to be the fastest chop ever!

6. roddinron

roddinron

53/54 Chevy should NEVER be chopped! It's just wrong.

7. billys54

billys54

8. close up of the split bottom channel with the glass in , moved bottom of frame 3 inches forward witch put sinking the glass 3 inches into the frame , owner didnt want to have a lexan rear window or spend countless hours and money on trying to get glass cut and then having them shatter , so i studied other chop methods and couldnt find one i liked so i figured out how to do this one and it worked! chop a car at a show live in 2 days ,in the grass with thousands of people watching with an unproven method , and have it not be your car and then you will learn the definition of STRESS!!

Attached Files:

9. not true , they should just be chopped" WELL, AND PRATICAL "

10. dustdevil

dustdevil
    from illinois

Awesome job~! Wish I could've made it, I got to see your shop at KKOA, you do some great work along with the rest of the los punk rods! Keep it up, see you around.

11. KCCOS

KCCOS
    from KC

your the man Dave!

12. sololobo

sololobo

Super job brother, so sorry to miss the gig this year. The Ranch Wagon was ill. Los Punk Rods are the bomb. ~Sololobo~

13. PUNK RODDER

PUNK RODDER
    from KC, MO.

Hard to believe a 6' 4" tall guy enjoys chopping cars so much! Just an awesome job Dave and hard to believe that you got it done in two days with such a quality finish!

14. Chopt50Ford

Chopt50Ford

Dave great job on the chevy. It looks real nice.

15. Great job, perfect sweep...Sam

16. Model A John

Model A John
    from wichita ks

17. Dave K

Dave K

Great job.

The back window looks killer!!!!

18. Diesel627

Diesel627

I can only suspect sarcasum since there's a chopped 53/54 in yer avitar!!

19. COS

COS
    from KCMO

Here are some random shots the wife and I took with our phones.....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The very proud owner of His(Punk Rod Ben) and Punk Rod DAVE'S handy work!!!

[​IMG]

Sorry for the different size pics not sure what happened....

-Punk Rod COS

20. very cool, lucky guy!

21. Jkustom

Jkustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Right on. "Chopped before a live studio audience".. Thats how mine was done! (The 1st time) Looking good fellas.

22. hvychvy

hvychvy

Looks great.Awesome job!!!

23. Hot Rod Chris

Hot Rod Chris

I know this is an old thread, but any recent pictures of the build? I would like to see it all put together with the stainless.

24. Hot Rod Chris

Hot Rod Chris

bump for evening crowd.

25. hudson hot rod

hudson hot rod

I'm also interested in seeing how the stainless was handled and what it looked like when she's all done!

26. banditomerc

banditomerc

who needs stainless.......leave it,less stainless...more pics of progress please..

27. Inked Monkey

Inked Monkey

I believe this project has switched hands. No telling what it looks like now

28. Hot Rod Chris

Hot Rod Chris

well if no stainless, at least with full glass. :)

29. Ben sold the car before we could get it finished ( needed start up money for his business) i should have bought it myself but with 11 other projects i didn't need a 12th i would love to see it myself chop turned out killer and proportions were dead on and my sinking rear glass idea worked

30. roose moose

roose moose

Awesome job on the chop. Ive wanted to chop my 54 for like this since I bought it. I don't like the small back glass look, but every rap around back glass ive seen has come out bad. This post gives me hope! How did you cut around the c pillar its kind of hard to see how you did it in the pics? I am going to start on my chop this coming weekend.