Register now to get rid of these ads!

Ford Engine and Transmission ID *HELP needed*

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Martin_F, Sep 10, 2013.

1. I need some help IDing this engine and tranny.
    I don't know anything about Ford drivetrains, so I'm drawing a blank...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The guy that's selling it thinks it's a 390 from the sixties and a C4.
    Pictures are all I got, so I was hoping somebody on here would be able to help me.

Thanks, Martin

2. Fuxl,

It is definitely an FE (Ford Edsel) Ford engine. I am not positive on the tranny though. It is obviously a cast iron main body so it could be an FMX.

3. 352 with a cruise-a-matic

4. 26 roadster

26 roadster

^^^^^ what he said

5. That's it.....

6. krooser

krooser

7. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

By the oil filler in the intake, it is 64 or older.

8. svodoc

svodoc

It's definetly an early FE, they all had 352 cast in the front of the block whether it was a 352, 390, 427 or 428or any of the other five displacements they were produced as. the trans is a FMX, cruise o matic is a name given to all sixties ford 3 speed auto transmissions, if it was in a Mercury it would be a merc o matic

9. Nope, the FMX didn't show up until '68. The Fordomatic (both the three speed and two-speed versions), Cruisomatic, and FMX are all related to each other, but there are differences between them. Basically, Ford started with the Fordomatic, then 'improved' this design to get the later versions. The FMX was the last major design change for this series, until it morphed into the AOD in the late 70s.

That motor is probably a 61 or 62, as it still has the road draft tube fitting on the rear of the intake. The blue valve covers and air cleaner identify it as a 352.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2013
  10. If it will spin - remove a plug and measure the stroke.

Its the easiest way to tell what it is by doing so.

Oldmics

11. greybeard360

greybeard360

There should be a tag on the left side of the trans case... or held on by a pan bolt.
    I can't tell by the photo exactly what it is. CW, FX, MX, FMX.... need the info off of the tag.

12. svodoc

svodoc

Not to get into a pissing contest or anything but get in any ford from the sixties or early seventies and look at the shift indicator, it will say cruise o matic. That shifter can be hooked to a c4, c6 or an FMX, like I said its just a name. And AOD's didn't morph from anything, it a completely different (and metric) trans

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

13. greybeard360

greybeard360

Actually the FMX did get morphed into the AOD..... That is what their first O/D automatics were built from (never used in production).

BTW... cast iron cruis-o-matics and the Borg Warner M8 and M12 are the same trans (like the differences between FX, MX and FMX) which were used in a lot of other makes of cars.

14. Alright guys, thanks for all the info. That's what I needed.

Viva la HAMB!

15. early cruise-matic out of a full sze galaxies ect. They had cast iron bodies. As did Fmx's. c-4 all aluminum with removable bell and c-6 all aluminum with non removable bell.

16. krooser

krooser

I think it's a SBC with Ford valve covers...

17. 1930 A

1930 A

castiron ford trans either smallcase, medium case or large case, dipstick tube in pan. FMX dipstick tube in case.

18. jhooch

jhooch

Looks exactly like the 352 in my 61 Galaxie Town Sedan parts car.

19. rprice76

rprice76
    from Palominas

Well....I'll tell ya what it aint! Its not a Medium Case transmission. I've attached the pic of my MX (Medium case) Cruise-O-Matic. You can see the case differences. I'm going to guess that it IS an FMX though. The internals were almost identical to the MX. I have a thread on the MX rebuild I finished (yet haven't gotten into the car).

20. rprice76

rprice76
    from Palominas

Helps if I attach the attachment :D

Attached Files:

21. rprice76

rprice76
    from Palominas

Hrm - after looking at the pics with em close together - it may be a Small Case (FX) (C4) transmission after all. The only real way to tell is to measure to be sure.

22. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

nice!:d

23. 327Eric

327Eric

I have a tranny just like that. I call it scrap metal personally. Mine was in a 59 Ranchero. It was a 292 car, but I believe the only difference would be the bell housing. engine looks like an early 332 or 352

24. krooser

krooser

25. PackardV8

PackardV8

Whichever, it's an UGLY baby. Don't pay much for it!

Around here, I could get you a much better looking, much better 390" core from a running truck for$250 -$350 depending on whether you wanted automatic or stick.

jack vines

26. I think we can close this. Got all the info I needed. Thanks.

27. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

The trans is a cast iron case, which puts out it being a C-4. I think it is an FMX, the earlier transmissions I don't think had a vacuum modulator. I may be wrong, but I thought they were TV operated. Yes, the FMX did n ot morph into the AOD, but some planetarys and other internals were used in the AOD transmissions. I used to rebuild a lot of AOD's when I was a mechanic in the local Foed dealership

28. krooser

krooser

The engine is too early to be factory equipped with an FMX (started in '68)... I think it's an FX Cruise-o-Matic trans.