Register now to get rid of these ads!

How do I pull this Olds engine that's stuck?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rustynewyorker, Sep 10, 2013.

1. I have a '69 Olds 455 on a Toronado front stub; the motor's set up. When the car got junked, I just cut the frame and kept the whole works to save the engine.

It's perfectly traditional to use an Olds 455 in your hot rod and there are tons of threads on here about these engines.

However, what I need to know is how to get the damn thing off the FWD transmission. These things are like a TH400 but turned backwards and I think connected with a chain so where normally you'd just pull and take the converter on the engine, I don't know if you can do that, and while I'm sure the converter bolts up the same way, you have to be able to turn the motor to get to the bolts.

Apparently someone's not that clear this morning on what I'm asking for some tech on. I don't care about putting it back in or using any of the FWD stuff, I just want to get the damn motor out of what's left of the car and since it's outside in a field I don't want to bust my ass in the process.

2. treb11

treb11
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

if you have enough lateral clearance, you can unbolt the engine from the trans and slid the engine/Torque converter assembly out of the front pump.

3. chubbie

chubbie

Good question, the first thing i always do is oil the engine with hopes that it will turn when i need it. you should be able to remove the belhousing bolts and seperate with the tourque converter on the engine. seems you can get at 2 bolts, but that last one can be a bitch. Try not to reck the drive train, Ive always wanted one. they are tough, and would make a cool project. well..like a wheelstander!!

4. spiderdeville

spiderdeville
    from BOGOTA,NJ

Thought the HAMB was pre 64 ?
    anyways ...pull the converter with the motor ...messy but that is how we do it at the shop

5. y3

y3
    from Terrell Tx

You will need to pull axle that runs under the pan. Its bearing bolts near the engine mount . If it looks in the way it is.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

6. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

7. That would rule out about 90% of the motor technical questions that get posted on here.

Not sure everyone is seeing that this is a front wheel drive Toronado, not a regular RWD trans - that's why I asked. If it was just a regular TH400, I'd go yank it and not worry about it.

Thanks for the link -

8. txturbo

txturbo

It comes apart the same way.....remove the bell housing bolts and slide it back. The converter stays bolted to the flex plate just like on a RWD Trans.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

9. Snot Rocket

Snot Rocket

I thought Toronado TC were in the trans, driven by the chain from the engine. It's been a long time since I saw one of those. I understand what RustyNewYorker is asking, Just not sure I have the information.

Isn't there a cover plate over the chain? I would expect that you would unbolt the chain sprocket from the engine and everything else is gravy.

10. Seems to me the engine and TC are one piece, then the chain, then the rest of the trans faces forward to run the axles.

I haven't even looked at it this year, so who knows, I'd rather just sell the whole thing to someone but a guy wants just the motor. Money's money. I know a local guy who's a Toro nut so I can always give the rest to him.

11. I think you are correct about the chain, the Eldo was just torque converter and flexplate but I think you are correct about the chain. I would have to look at the link Don posted to tell you for sure, but it would be noting to take a torch to he chain in a pinch.

If you were not so far off I would love to have the entire unit for a rear engine econoline pickup.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2013
  12. gtowagon

gtowagon

If you don't care about the transaxle just unbolt everything you can see and pull it apart worse that can happen it it still has something internal you need to remove. If you are worried about the transaxle being damaged if you are not going to use it its not worth anything but scrap

13. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

14. Steve!

Steve!
    BANNED
    from at the gym

Couldn't you ask the local Toro nut?

15. Glad I don't have this attitude.

Anyways, I think I have enough to figure it out, worst case I sawzall off more of the frame to get it out of the way. Ideally I don't want to wreck anything, because I'm sure someone can use it.

16. The transaxle is worth saving if you can and I do like and have always liked your attitude toward our old junk.

I always save everything that I can because someone is going to need it some day and they always do.

17. FiddyFour

FiddyFour

i had a 70 eldorado when i was a kid... had to pull the transaxle to have the case welded up. it unbolts just like a regular th400 with the torque converter bolted to the flex plate... the chain is internal

18. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

I looked in my "Chiltons" on this one, no photos that show the torque converter or chain drive assembly. Maybe the chain can be removed to free that end of the converter? I hate to say it, but a big hammer to bust up the bellhousing might be the only way to get at the fasteners. Are there any Toranado or FWD Caddy sites on the web? How do current FWD trannys bolt/unbolt to engines? Butch/56sedandelivery.

19. rouye56wingnut

rouye56wingnut
    from mn.

Unbolt the final drive assy. from the trans along with the brackets that support it and the axle support to the engine . Then all you have to do is anything you would to remove any GM trans and get out the industrial size floor dry bag .

Also what is all this about a chain somehow hooked to the motor ? It always gets me when someone is really trying to get good info and people rain in with all sorts of stuff they know nothing about . Those folks (I hope) have a ton of knowledge on other subjects they are more comfortable giving expert advise on . Save it for those posts where you can be of real help .

Last edited: Sep 10, 2013