Register now to get rid of these ads!

GASSER MUST HAVES and cant haves?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by DirtyDave, Aug 4, 2013.

1. CalGasser

CalGasser

Thanks G, we think alike! :D

2. CalGasser

CalGasser

So what do you "experts" consider this car? It does have an electronic ignition, Ford 9" & 5 speed tranny you know... :confused: Guys, you're over complicating things. The can't haves at first look should be NO 10 spoke front rims and 4X4 stance.

Attached Files:

• BN.jpg
      BN.jpg
      File size:
      254.7 KB
      Views:
  3. CalGasser

CalGasser

Hate to say it but that's not a Gasser - it's too high!!! More like a "Street Freak" than a race car. :mad:

4. Engine choice is a big one. The only thing I know for sure is it wont be the 202 Flat 6 that I sold Saturday. Kept it in the Hudson community.

6. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

What I see happen a lot and don't understand is someone goes too all the trouble to install an old school suspension go out and spend the money for the right wheels do all the hard work to make it look old school then when it gets to the little easy stuff they screw it up. Like leaving the big yellow good year letters on the tires it takes about 5 minutes to get them off, or mount a big auto meter tach right on top of the dash for the whole world to see when the old looking remake's are cheaper. Notice I didn't use the word Gasser.

7. Moon Rocket

Moon Rocket
    BANNED
    from GA

Quain,

I wish you guys were coming to Atlanta Drag Strip on the 27th for the Gear Jams. It would be a short trip for your bunch. And looks like they are using rules a lot like your group normally runs.

Would be a good crowd for the Moon Lighter to.

A shame to leave $1,000.00 and bragging rights setting on the table so close to home!

8. Moon Rocket

Moon Rocket
    BANNED
    from GA

"So what do you "experts" consider this car? It does have an electronic ignition, Ford 9" & 5 speed tranny you know... :confused:"

I'm no expert, but I am a X-gasser owner and IMO it depends if you have ever entered it in any formal racing event and what kind of times it posted.

If you have, then it would be a what ever class it ran car. Depending on the times it would be ether a fast or slow what ever class it was entered race car.

If it's never been entered in a formal racing event but you have a shelf with local cruise night and show trophies then I would say it's a cool ass nostalgic street cruiser / show car.

To me, cars are like women. You can't tell by looking at a women if she is really a bad girl. To know for sure you need to see her arrest record.

So, which is it? :rolleyes:

Last edited: Sep 10, 2013
  9. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

If under the hood and the inside looks as right as the outside it's a Gassssssser in my opinion. As for the electronics they should be hid out of site and a lot of cars ran 9" fords back then.

10. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

I think it's got the look, and sounds like someone made some changes to make it more driveable. Will that take it out of "gasser" status? It will for the nit pickers, but I think the builder captured the essence, and just made it more useable for the street.

11. D.N.D.

D.N.D.
    Member Emeritus

Hi Quain

I could never get my Sun tach to work right with the Vertex mag , so I just shifted when it felt right

Gasser's were pretty crude back then, what ever got it down the track

Today there is so much to pick from when building a car, in 64' we didn't even have ' needle bearing rockers ' just the stamped tin ones that a pushrod would go right through

G Don

12. I Drag

I Drag

[​IMG]

10 spoke wheel, Hot Rod magazine, April 1965

13. II FUNNY

II FUNNY

Revolutionary new design says it all. If those were to be a bolt on version of the spindle mounts they would have said they were. You can tell by the picture that all the spokes are on the same level unlike a 12 spoke spindle mount and also unlike the 10 spoke fake spindle mounts of today. Nice try though.

MELTDOWN DRAGS
    JULY 19-20 2014

14. I Drag

I Drag

I will grant you that they do not appear to have much depth, but perhaps you can explain to me why there are obvious lug nuts on a 'spindle mount' wheel. This is clearly a bolt on wheel.

Your turn.

15. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

No doubt about it; it's a bolt on. It also does have two 5 spoke depths to the 10 spokes, although not as different depth as the new 10 spoke repops. Funny how every time someone says something isn't period correct, something shows up to prove them wrong. Kinda like disc brakes aren't correct, yet there were well built cars that had the latest disc brake setups on them in the period. Just like those disc brakes, the ones used today are different, but how picky are we getting to say a bolt on 10 spoke isn't correct if it looks close to what shows in that ad? I see guys running modern Torq Thrusts and nobody cares, even though they have obvious differences from the originals; like relief cuts to clear disc brake calipers!

16. I Drag

I Drag

Just to be clear, I dont have a dog in this fight. I really dont care.

And I dont like the bolt on 10 spokes either. To me theyre just fake spindle mounts. Dont like the Torq Thrust Ds (?) with the curved spokes. I dont like a lot of things that 'look similar to but are not other things'.

So Im actually with you. Or some of you.

Personally Im into nostalgia drags too, and have seen widely varying shades of 'period' parts. I just do the best I can on my own ride. As for others, oh well, live and let live.

I actually scored a box of old car mags cheap at a swap a couple of months ago, and came upon the wheel ad around the time this thread came up. I just thought it was an interesting coincidence, thats all.

17. II FUNNY

II FUNNY

I didnt say it wasnt a bolt on wheel. I said if it was supposed to be a copy of a spindle mount then Mickey Thompson would have marketed it that way, it says revolutionary new design not spindle mount style wheels for the guys who want brakes and lug nuts.
    I fail to see the similarities to the current bolt on 10 spokes as they clearly try to look like a spindle mount including the ribs on the spokes like Halibrands version that the vintage rader version doesnt.

MELTDOWN DRAGS
    JULY 19-20 2014

18. II FUNNY

II FUNNY

I do respect you doing some research to prove what was and what was not run back in the day. I'm the first to do the same when somone spouts that this or that is not correct. Just check out the whitewalls and mags thread. That being said the only thing those ten spokes and new ten spokes have in common are the number of spokes and lug nuts to hold them on.

MELTDOWN DRAGS
    JULY 19-20 2014

19. jimdillon

jimdillon

Once again this is one of those deals where it is probably best to stay out of the frey but as an attendee/participant of the recent Meltdown, I like the resurgence of the “gasser craze”. The first drag car I had the pleasure to help build was a BM/SP Corvette that by the time we finished the car (1968) we had to run in B/G. We also ran a Junior Stocker 61 Vette with a 283/270 and I spent most weekends at the local dragstrips from 67-70. I am mildly familiar with gassers as they looked and ran back in that time period. I own a couple of old drag Vettes and am hopelessly lost in the old days of drag racing.

The Meltdown Drag Racing Association has made in my opinion a somewhat successful attempt at trying to establish rules that will keep the cars vintage in appearance and performance. I cannot think of a better drag race that I have witnessed in recent memory than two guys that have posted on this thread-Quain and Johnny Rotten. If my memory serves me it was 9.60 to a 9.63; a great drag race with two correct appearing cars. Besides these two guys, there were 400 cars that showed up attempting to recreate old times, and I believe did a pretty good job of it. Now on the other side of the equation we have the gasser police who are by their own admissions trying to protect the integrity and the history of the original gassers, plus I am sure other reasons that could go on at length.

The gasser era of the 50s/60s/70s is a closed chapter of history, we can’t open it up and sneak a few cars of today into that past time in history. How can cars we build today affect that closed chapter in any significant way? The rules books are etched in stone as are all of the records of the great cars and drivers. The pictures immortalize many of the great cars and styles that changed from year to year. There is not one standard of a gasser that anyone can hold up and say this example “A” is a gasser to the exclusion of all others. To claim that what guys are doing today is watering down history or attacking the integrity of God only knows what is simply opinion with absolutely no factual basis.

So let’s see, we have guys like Quain and Johnny (and others) building cars (that are not free mind you) putting on a great show and we have guys (who I presume are not competing with gassers style cars) saying we cannot call them gassers. Unlike the wing cars, many of the “gassers” of today resemble the gassers of old and they replicate the antics and “feel” to an extent of the original gassers. Quain and his group have tried to re-capture the four speed era (which is only a limited portion of the gasser era). Who cares, they obviously put on a good show as does Johnny and the Great Lakes gassers (as well as other groups trying to keep the spirit alive). The cars are updated but still have rules and the look, on and off the track, and if they want to call themselves gassers then God love them.

If people want to call them something other than gassers that is of course your free will but then of course you will understand our free will to call them what we feel they are or represent and if that is gasser then so be it. We all know what they are in reality, but we chose to enjoy them instead of constantly bitching about what some may perceive as a slight on a closed chapter in history. Such is life. I would rather say line them up, then shut them down but then that is silly old me-Jim
    <!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:TrackMoves/> <w:TrackFormatting/> <w:punctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:DoNotPromoteQF/> <w:LidThemeOther>EN-US</w:LidThemeOther> <w:LidThemeAsian>X-NONE</w:LidThemeAsian> <w:LidThemeComplexScript>X-NONE</w:LidThemeComplexScript> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> <w:SplitPgBreakAndParaMark/> <w:EnableOpenTypeKerning/> <w:DontFlipMirrorIndents/> <w:OverrideTableStyleHps/> </w:Compatibility> <m:mathPr> <m:mathFont m:val="Cambria Math"/> <m:brkBin m:val="before"/> <m:brkBinSub m:val="&#45;-"/> <m:smallFrac m:val="off"/> <m:dispDef/> <m:lMargin m:val="0"/> <m:rMargin m:val="0"/> <m:defJc m:val="centerGroup"/> <m:wrapIndent m:val="1440"/> <m:intLim m:val="subSup"/> <m:naryLim m:val="undOvr"/> </m:mathPr></w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" DefUnhideWhenUsed="true" DefSemiHidden="true" DefQFormat="false" DefPriority="99" LatentStyleCount="267"> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="0" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Normal"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="heading 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 7"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 8"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 9"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 7"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 8"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 9"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="35" QFormat="true" Name="caption"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="10" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Title"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="1" Name="Default Paragraph Font"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="11" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Subtitle"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="22" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Strong"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="20" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Emphasis"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="59" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Table Grid"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Placeholder Text"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="1" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="No Spacing"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Revision"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="34" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="List Paragraph"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="29" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Quote"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="30" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Intense Quote"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="19" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Subtle Emphasis"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="21" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Intense Emphasis"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="31" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Subtle Reference"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="32" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Intense Reference"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="33" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Book Title"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="37" Name="Bibliography"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" QFormat="true" Name="TOC Heading"/> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-priority:99; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin-top:0in; mso-para-margin-right:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:10.0pt; mso-para-margin-left:0in; line-height:115%; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif"; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin;} </style> <![endif]-->

20. CalGasser

CalGasser

HUUUHHH??:eek: If a gasser is built but never been on the track disqualifies it as a gasser? One owns a gasser and it makes them know gassers? I raced in E/G & D/MP in the mid 60's (a long time ago) and owned several gassers for over 30 years - do I know gassers or just a wannabe? The 55 ran at a nostalgic event 2 weeks after it ran under its own power and been on the streets about 3 months. It did win several awards at shows and will hit the track again with its new engine. I thought I built a gasser but now according to you, not sure what I have...:confused::(:eek::D

21. looks like s Gasser to me!

22. Looks like a Gasser to me!

23. Looks sounds and runs like a Gasser to me!

24. CalGasser

CalGasser

You're too funny Ric but you're right! :) Hope to see you at HRR.

25. black 62

black 62
    from arkansas

i am printing stickers and selling T shirts that say "approved by the Gasser Police" only cars and racers displaying these emblems may go by the name Gasser, all others will run in an index class called " I just don't get it" and get a Tattoo stating this designation---This decision is final and can not be appealed or revised... please pm for availability in your area

26. So I want to get this right. If we never find our dads 56 that was race in C & B/Gas at San Fernando, Lions, Fontana, Old San Gabe, and Famoso, but we build a clone, but it never gets raced, or it has some updates to allow us to race it today..,its not a Gasser as far as The Moon Man is concerned. Anyone here remember that NHRA used A,B, & C/Gas designations all the way to at least the late 80's in Modified/Comp Eliminator. In fact, many A/Gas cars of this era were Pro Stock cars that couldn't qualify for a Pro Stock field, or were ex- pro cars that dropped down into A/Gas. I know that Eddie Schartman ran his Pro Stock Maverick in A/Gas at times. I was talking to Don Waldren of Rods West at the Hot Rod Magazine Anniversary, about my brothers fiberglass blown gas 392 hemi/4speed gasser Willys and I was being almost apologetic about it being a glass car. He said, you know Ric, if we could of had a fiberglass Willys body in the 60's, we would have, God knows we threw away plenty of steel noses, doors and decklids to replace with fiberglass, and now we pay through the nose for rusty steel. "Don't worry" he said, "your brothers car is a gasser as far as Im concerned. Would my brother rather have a steel Willys..,with real gasser history, with a four port upright Hilborn..,YES! However his car was bought at a price that would only have gotten him parts of a steel car. Does it look like a gasser, yep. Does it sound like a gasser, yep. Does its straight axle stance and ride feel like your riding in a gasser, yep..,its a gasser! Don helped with the Willy Gasser pickup tribute car in Hot Rod this month. Far as I know, its never been raced, so in the minds of some, maybe its not a gasser after all..,bet you get out voted on that one Mr.Moon.

27. perfect!

28. rustang

rustang

:) .... that there is funny shart right there.... B/IJUSTDONTGETIT... great idea.
    Tom

29. Moon Rocket

Moon Rocket
    BANNED
    from GA

I didn't say it was or was not! :D

I just asked you the heritage, that's all. By the way, running in a "nostalgia event" is a hole lot different than running in a open sectioned competitive "Gasser" class.

Hey, you asked the question. If you already knew the answer what was the point in asking?

I got a question for you. Do you consider the NASCAR 'show" cars you see here and there at different events to be race cars or show cars? Just curious.

If a horse is born a therobread (sp?) but never raced does that make it a race horse? IMO yes.

"If a gasser is built but never been on the track disqualifies it as a gasser?" IMO yes.

If your not interested in anyone else's opinion just don't ask. :rolleyes: But since you did, in my opinion what you have is a COOL ASS car! Why does it need to be any more or less than that?

30. If a thorough bred horse is not raced its still a race horse, but if a gasser is never raced its not a gasser..,that logic is swimming at the bottom of a peach "moonshine" barrel. PS. Vic, your 55 is DEFINITELY A GASSER! Sorry everyone for "howling at the Moon" again.