Register now to get rid of these ads!

235 chevy questions

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Shane Spencer, Sep 9, 2013.

1. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

hey guys. got a 62 bel air for a daily. runs and drives great for the most part. I have a few questions though. when I first fire it up, it idles a tad rough. nothing really concerning but just a little rougher than I think it should. If I put it in gear to drive away it will kinda lope or pulse under throttle. it only does it for a minute or two and then runs absolutely great from there on out. again its just when the cars cold and it only does it sometime. it idles smooth as silk when its been running for a few minutes. I read somewhere that the pulsing or loping may be a jet issue but I haven't found much info other than that. I haven't checked the timing. everything else seems fine. Im gonna do the valves when I do my next oil change. it has the stock powerglide. any help is appreciated

2. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

That sounds like a the automatic choke is a bit out of adjustment. Make sure the choke plate moves freely. BUT it was very common for cars before FI to be a little rough running when first started. That engine should have hydralic lifters unless noisy leave them alone.

3. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

No noise outta the valves. I was just gonna double check them. And the carb could use a little tinkerin with. Only thing im puzzled by is the pulsing under acceleration when cold

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

4. RWENUTS

RWENUTS
    from Nanaimo BC

It pulses until your intake warms up. Your cold intake causes the vaporized fuel to revert back to a liquid. You're getting a lean surge. If it only does it for a couple minutes then your heat riser must be working.

5. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

Wouldnt the heat riser help prevent the pulsing? Its heat on untill the springs gets warm, spring relaxes and closes and therefore shuts the heat off right? So the heat riser WOULDNT be working then ?

6. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

It takes a couple of minutes/miles for things to warm up. Don't be in such a hurry Grasshopper ! LOL

7. RWENUTS

RWENUTS
    from Nanaimo BC

Your heat riser is working right. It takes a couple minutes to warm the intake. If it wasn't working right you'd have major surging, backfiring thru the carb and a rough running engine all the time until the intake warmed up completely.
    Be happy it's working!

8. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

Ah got ya. This is my first old straight six. Every other older motor ive had was a small block or a y block and obviously didnt have the cold intake issues of a six. It has a light pop when its idling untill it warms up too, is that normal. Not like a backfire, just a put put noise untill it warms

9. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

LOL @ Evans:D My 55 is a 235, it's the same way. Give it a little bit to warm up and she's fine. They are just a little rough and cranky when cold. Lippy

10. Sounds normal to me.

11. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

Cool. Like I said I was just curious. My last 2 daily drivers were 6bt cummins and I havent ridden in or driven an old gas inline since my dad got rid of his 300 in his ford. He said I shouldnt worry either. Just been a while since ive been around one. Thanks guys :D

12. I had great success with hand chokes over the years if the automatic chokes gave me too much grief. Takes a litttle fiddlin' around to get set up right, but very rewarding on a real cold day.

Bob

13. monkeyspunk79

monkeyspunk79

Yes, mostly normal, but check your choke. If its a Rochester 2GC or similar, check for a leaky or non-working choke pull-off. A sticking choke will cause symptoms like you describe. Easy & cheap fix and you'll be fine. Or just let it warm up longer :)

Does this car have the "cold" light on the dash that illuminates until its reached operating temp?

14. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

Yeah its got the cold light. Doesnt take too long for it to go off. And I had planned on putting a manual choke on since I got it

15. check intake bolts ... snug carb .. try .. things expand ... ya dig