Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1951 mercury build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by john51mer, Mar 1, 2011.

Tags:
  1. The Doddfather

The Doddfather
    from Va

yeah i was talking about mine. I bought the high end glasurit paint and clear but had one guy do the final bodywork and another guy paint it. the painter found a few minor issues and told me he would take care of it but didn't. Matt Townsend is building the car and it looks great......at one time Matt and I were talking about him painting it a single stage but i wanted a base/clear paint job. To do it over again i would have just had Matt do it since i know it would have been done correctly

2. skitzo13

skitzo13
    from SoCal

White walls and caps

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

3. chopnweld

chopnweld
    from Nor Cal

When in doubt, listen to slddnmatt :) So many short term cost cuts lead to long term cost increases. Sometimes its best to just pay for quality the first time.

4. I have to agree that if you are going to do then go at it right the first time. It may cost more , but it will be worth it in the long run. I have not cut a single corner in this build , and don't plan on starting. This build has taken a different build prospective than most that I have seen. I thought and looked long and hard at other cars, and thought a little different would be ok, but not to much. This is why I put a different twist in the dash area, and Matt helped out greatly with the lights to complete her nice ass. It may not be built to somes liking, but I am in love with it and have made a great sacrifice to get her this far. I would like to think all for the great compliments as well. It is very hard to keep everbody happy with a build like this, but as long as I am that seems to matter most not unless somebody else wants to pitch in a whole lot of money.

Mat I sent you a pm and have yet to get a reply back brother. Thanks for all your help too. This man knows his shit whith the mercurys.

Sent from my SCH-I915 using H.A.M.B. mobile app

5. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

I must of missed it John whats up????

6. Yes I am going with a cap and some white walls. I have bought several different year caps and when I go home in Sept I plan on seeing whichones I will run. I have a set of 56 cady caps that I am leaning towards, but Matt got me looking at the 62 model they look cool as hell also.
    Ei got vintage wheel to build me a set of custom off set wheels for the back so I can run a wider tire but it will still will be white walls.

Sent from my SCH-I915 using H.A.M.B. mobile app

7. Sent you a pm Matt

8. The Doddfather

The Doddfather
    from Va

yeah i know.....it wasn't really a cost or savings thing as much as it was i wanted a base/clear paint job. the only thing he hasn't talked me into yet are the skirts...lol

9. We are making my skirts where we can remove them and run her without if I want to, but we are flushing them inside the wheel opening as well. I wanted to be able to ride both ways if I so desired.
    I really like the Hok burple or the caddies they have and want something that will set this car off.

10. Well it has been a while since we have posted anything on the merk, but is nearing paint. Larry and crew just put the last coat of prime on her, and starting to get her in the booth. I am planning on being home in a few days and will be traveling up to settle on a color for her. I like the HOK candy blues more and more. I am going to go dark but not to dark that you can not see the great metal work on her. Anyhow like always commets are welcome. Hope you like the pics.

Oh yea I think the headlight rings look like they were suppose to be there. Let me know how you like them too.

Attached Files:

11. chaddilac

chaddilac

Wow, it's looking way different than what you started with!! Lookin great!!!

12. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Awesome! it looks really fine and dandy. A true custom.

13. That thing is so smooth,it looks like fiberglass!

14. I don't think i've asked you Nick,how does your ride?

15. farmer12

farmer12

Looking awesome, can't wait to see some colour on it!

16. Yea I can not wait to, see it in person. My wife took these pics for me and she said it looks great, and she don't care much for the car. Lol Larry had to hand make rhe headlight trim because the rings I liked was made from pop metal and we need good steel for the trim, but the bezel will be chromed and should look sweet on it.

However no fiberglass on this baby, we know she is the real deal all steel. Lol

17. Wow, looking great. I can see a ton of work in that....even molded in the hood latch structure? Wow!

18. shoebox1950

shoebox1950
    from California

That's a nice chop!

19. mikes51

mikes51

Wow is right. It really looks smooth, very well done.

20. Frankie47

Frankie47
    from omaha ne.

Of course she doesn't like the car.........think of all the shoes, purses, clothes, etc she coulda had...lol.

21. 51 Leadsled

51 Leadsled
    from NC

Looks great!! Wow what a sweet ride, I hope I get to see you and maybe your ride when you are in town!!

22. Sure thing man I am planning on going up to see the car on the 16th. How far you from Welcome NC?

23. Haha yea she is warming up to her a little now that she sees some progress on her.

24. Just went through some of the updates. The car is coming out beautiful! I hope you'll have it out around Charleston some so I can see it in person.

25. Oh yea it will. I plan on showing it and driving it around the house. I will hit bessingers bbq if they are still havin the shows there.

26. chopnweld

chopnweld
    from Nor Cal

Bob: Sorry, havent been on here lately... ...my Merc rides great. I hate rattles and squeaks, so it's been ideal. All the hype and fear-mongering by EXK over the Morrison chassis "negative camber" is complete slander and absolutely false. Not bashing EXK, but I think HAMBrs doing chassis swaps should know the truth: absolutely zero negative camber issues. I dig the chassis and probably wouldve liked the one matt built also. Drove it from SF to Santa Maria for the WKK and many other shows. Not traditional, but just right for a sled that gets driven almost daily.

27. Chopnweld
    I am so glad to hear that. I too was a little terrified that I spent that amount of money on a chassis and not be happy. Thanks for easing my mind on this.

28. Yes they are still going strong at Bessingers. There are a couple other cruises and a bunch of small shows all the time.

29. When you rode in mine,I didn't have any interior yet,so the rattles were pretty noisy. Some day when I get my new interior,that will all go away. Remember,mine wasn't a complete build. Matt just chopped it and got it running for me. I've changed it a few times since then.
    Fuck whether it's traditional! Your Merc is exceptional. Mines never gonna be that nice. Glad you're enjoying it. Hate to invest all that money and not get any enjoyment out of it. EXK is a dick! Can't tell you how many guys he's ripped off. He's a bondo slinger.
    Have you had any issues since you've been driving it? There's always things that come up.

30. My wife warmed up to my Merc after I finally got some interior in it. Now it's not as uncomfortable. I'm sure she thinks of how much she could have done with the money,haha.