Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest O/T? Cal Worthington RIP

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by frankenfords, Sep 9, 2013.

1. frankenfords

frankenfords
    from SoCal

2. The guy sure was a showman .. "I will stand on my head til my ears turn red ... !"

3. he had all kinds of critters in his commercials.
    rip cal

4. He actually had a used car dealership in Ok and in Tx before going to Southern California and opening his used car dealership in Huntington Park in the 50's. I was Service Manager for his son's dealership in Blythe and met Cal on several occasions. What you saw on tv was what you got in real life, very warm and friendly man. If you didn't know any better, you would never know that he was a multi-millionaire, just a friendly & out going person. I have no doubt that he will be missed greatly, Rod ( his son ) and his sister were very close to their dad.
    Go see Cal, go see Cal, go see Cal. R.I.P. Cal :(

5. Weasel

Weasel

Cal Worthington is a National treasure. RIP Mr. Worthington....

6. Weasel

Weasel

7. B Ramsey

B Ramsey

Pussy cow, pussy cow, pussy cow.
    (Cmon, I'm not the only kid that heard it like that.)

8. Chuck R

Chuck R

Cal understood how to use TV to sell. He was a great showman and businessman. Always sad when we have to say goodbye to a piece of our lives. CAL RIP, you took us all on a great ride.
    chuck

9. AZ 54 BELAIR GUY

AZ 54 BELAIR GUY
    from AZ

Pussy cow, pussy cow, pussy cow.
    (Cmon, I'm not the only kid that heard it like that.)

That just made me laugh because it is so true! R.I.P Cal

10. Long before go see cal and his dog spot and that could have been any thing on paws or without there was Cals Carral on TV. great country and western music show I went one time and seen George Jones. We got a new Dart GT from him when they went to the A body it didnt stay long tho. had to make room for that new 65 442. RIP Cal the first crazy sales master

11. SMOG_GUY

SMOG_GUY
    from Dinuba

"I'll eat a bug to sell you a car!"

12. Spot's gonna miss him and so will we.

13. He was entertaining, heard they ran him out of Washington state years back.

14. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

O/T, but but anyone who grew up in the Pacific NW and watched late night TV in the seventies (and thats a lotta HAMBers I bet) remembers Cal...RIP.

15. chase237

chase237
    from Idaho

I bought a used Honda from the Worthington Chevrolet in Sac, CA in about 1982. Had some issues with the car but the dealership made it right.

Wow that was a long time ago. He had skills. RIP.

16. go-twichy

go-twichy
    BANNED

i asked jay leno one year at the new years tour through pasadena ca. if one night he would try and get cal worthington instead of movie types of guest. never happend, now he's gone. he should have gotten more credit than he did. he's like vin gully of the dogers. a voice in the background of peoples entire life's. R.I.P. you dont have to stand on your head any more. lay down in peace.

17. modeleh

modeleh

On a summer vacation in the 80s, we made my old man stop at Worthington Ford in Federal Way Washington because we were driving by and had seen his commercials for years. We bought a Ford labelled cassette tape from the parts department that had a mix of some of the current hits from Alabama and Hall and Oates which we played over and over again in the motorhome. Oh the memories...:)

18. Rocket88

Rocket88

Those were some great commercials.
    R.I.P. Cal.

19. GaryB

GaryB
    from Reno,nv

COW BOY HAT AN ALl, RIP

20. BrandonB

BrandonB
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from nor cal

21. Louie T

Louie T
    from California

Oh my god. I just spit out my coffee. We used to sing it like that when we were kids too.

22. I heard about his passing on the radio today, they said he was 92.

He really knew how to get your attention with his commercials.

Sad day, RIP.

23. Open 7 days, Open 'til Midnight....See Ya Here!!

Cal was awesome, and definitely a legend in the car business. Even until recently, he was still making the commercials. His voice was getting a little frail, but he was still doing it.

I had a good laugh at one of his commercials about a year ago. When they show the cars on the turntable and tell you the make, model, and monthly payment, he came to a little GM econobox, and in his southern drawl, he called it a "Chivvy Ka-Balt" (Chevy Cobalt).

24. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

I remember Cal's ads from when we lived in So Cal.....what a showman and his ads were really funny.

RIP.

Don

25. RIP Cal , enjoyed his TV spots here in Washington..

26. b-bob

b-bob

We saw him up here in the Vancouver area too. We get the Seattle stations here.

And who was the other guy? Dick Balch I think. He would like to take an axe to windshields!

27. Vin Gully?!?!? Really?!?!?!
    Pussy Cow, Pussy Cow, Pussy Cow

28. I remember those Saturday morning cowboy movies and at commercial it was usually Dick Lane or Cal Worthington .... back then I wanted to be one of the guys that drove the next car up to the camera and Cal .... "Here we have a 1965 Malibu Super Sport, hardly been driven for $1299.50"

29. Itchy-Pit

Itchy-Pit

COME SEE CAL - an icon. Like or Not. We'll miss you!

30. Pussy Cow indeed! I'm glad i'm not the only one that coulda sworn thats what he was sayin.
    RIP Cal Worthington. He's probably trying to get Jesus himself into a new car beyond the pearly gates.
    D