Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Followed a B-17 today! FLIGHT PICS ADDED!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Toast, Jun 27, 2013.

1. Chuck R

Chuck R

That is magnificent! Hand built, all american masterpiece. Thanks for sharing your pictures.
    chuck

2. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Air show Madras,Oregon 2 weeks ago.

Attached Files:

3. SMOG_GUY

SMOG_GUY
    from Dinuba

My Dad's B-17 Bomber Jacket with his plane's nose art on it.

Attached Files:

4. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

WOW! That would have been an incredible experience, riding with the legendary Bob Hoover in his Mustang! :eek:
    Man am I jealous!

Doc.

5. Philbilly

Philbilly

That is awesome!

6. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Engines 3 and 4 on Aluminum overcast are indeed Studebakers. He wasn't joking. Lippy

7. Da Tinman

Da Tinman

Just number 3 right now, they have 3 Studes total but 2 are out for repair.

8. Chuck R

Chuck R

My dad was in the top turret of a B24. Thought I would show his flight jacket also.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. ronnieroadster

ronnieroadster

The Flying Fortress one hell of a plane. Built and flown by the Greatest Generation.

10. Thanks for the link, I just ordered a copy.

11. hendo0601

hendo0601
    from Tacoma, WA

There is a museum in Lubbock, TX dedicated to the gliderborne troops from WWII...if any of you ever get a chance to make it down that way i highly recommend it. The fighters, bombers, and paratroopers got all of the glory and the glider boys are kinda the forgotten side of the war. They played a key role in several major battles, and without them who knows what would have happened. Im not trying to hijack this thread, merely shed some light on the oft forgotten gliderborne troops. I had the pleasure several years ago to meet a few of these men and my life was changed instantly after hearing their stories.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

12. Toast

Toast
    from Jenks, OK

Wow! I never thought that this thread would become such an amazing source for WWII history, Bomber and fighter info! Keep the great posts coming!

13. elba

elba

Pilots didn't want the engines made by KEVINATOR

14. There was one flying around over my house this past weekend. I heard him coming and ran out of the garage much like when I was a kid and heard the ice cream man's bells. :rolleyes: He flew right overhead very low. I got my camera hoping for a chance to get a picture if he came back. He flew by several times that day but never as close as the first time. This is the best I could get........

[​IMG]

15. ol fueler

ol fueler

They did!! Studebaker built engines for them and other warplanes during the war! I have seen old ads in magazines about Studebaker building engines as their contribution to the war effort. Pretty nice ads too.

16. ol fueler

ol fueler

Fifi Sat on the Ramp at Nellis AFB in Las Vegas for over a year about 10 years ago or such a matter. It came in to Nellis for an air show and coughed an engine getting there and sat there till the CAF then the Confederate Air Force --now the Commerative Air Force managed to raise enough money to buy a new engine.

17. grim1930

grim1930
    from Norfolk UK

The B-17 SALLY B flew over my house yesterday, the last flying example in Europe, I live in East Anglia where a lot of the USAAF air bases were so we get to see her when they do flypasts of the old airfields, a guy keeps two P51 Mustangs at Hardwick airfield so I get to see those regularly as well, never get tired of seeing these beautiful machines fly.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2013
  18. ConnerS.

ConnerS.
    from Arizona

The B-17 is definitely an awesome warbird! At the CAF on falcon field we got a B-17, and B-25 and a T-6. I'm sure there are some others they have as well. I sure do love to hear that fortress fly!

19. "Sentimental Journey" is in Council Bluffs/Omaha this week at the Council Bluffs airport. Thought about going for a ride for my 20th wedding anniversary complete in either my A2 or B4 jacket and sheepskin cap, but wife reminded me I'm laid off and not yet collecting unemployment. Being unemployed and responsible sucks! I think I'll sneak over there and at least get some pics.

20. cooger

cooger

We have one at the Lone Star flight museum in Galveston.
    Coolest thing I ever saw was the B-17 parked with two full lines of vets that was about a 1/4 mi. long and a wheelchair B-17 pilot being pushed down those lines to the old warbird. Everyone saluted him, and a lot moist eyes were pretty common.
    Mine were.
    cooger

21. NickJT

NickJT
    from S.E. PA

I wouldn't be surprised if some B-17's and other warbirds are "sneaking" over to the east coast for a surprise bombing run on the beaches of Wildwoood NJ to clear it of all those hooligans gathering for the "Race of the Gentlemen".

Coincidentally a lot of these planes will be at Millville Airport in NJ the last weekend of Sept for their warbirds and wheels show:

[​IMG]

22. TigerII

TigerII

Bob Hoovers Mustang-Ole Yeller and the Mormon Mustang are both located in a great museum in Rexburg Id. Other pristine warbirds as well. All flown regularly. Its out of the way, but a great experience.

23. nailhead terry

nailhead terry

My friend Don is the crew chief on FiFi she has been upgraded I think they changed the cylinders to help keep the exauast from setting it on fire B 17 are cool but that B29 is awesome it's neat to see them fly

24. Muttley

Muttley

Here's a few;

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

25. I purchased that book, "A Higher Call" last week.........I thoroughly recommend it........one of the best I've ever read..........if you are interested in WW2 warbirds from either side it is a great story.........100% recommended.......Andy Douglas

26. X2, I'm about 3/4 way through it, It is a great read.

27. Ramblur

Ramblur

How about this faux warbird powerplant at Reno this week. (2) 4360's bolted together for a 56 cylinder 112 spark plug nightmare...

Attached Files:

28. thetwistedpiston

thetwistedpiston

This is what showed up at work last week...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

29. I had a chance a few years ago to do a cawl through in a B-17 that came to the Nanaimo Airport . It gave me a renewed respect for the men that were in one for those long missions, close quarters would be a big understatement.
    I watched as she lifted off and what a beautiful sound to hear all 4 engines singing their song .
    There are a couple of warbirds in this area and I can always know they are up there just by the sound there is nothing like a big radial to get the heart pumping faster !

30. I have a framed, large-format print of this picture in my basement - I think it probably hung in some AAF office and it was my first piece of WWII memorabilia. At the bottom corner of the print in small type it stated "The Studebaker Corporation - 1942" - up until then I didn't know Studebaker had anything to do with airplanes, nonetheless B-17s. Got it at a flea market in 1970 when I was 9 years old - begged my dad to give me a couple of bucks to get it. He was very reluctant at first - I didn't stop to think that he was on the "business end" of these as he was in the German Army and was carpet-bombed several times between the summer of '44 and VE Day while in Stuttgart, Bremen and at the Luftwaffe's testing grounds repairing runways for Me 262s. I remember taking off the cardboard backing to see if someone hid some money behind the picture - no luck.