Register now to get rid of these ads!

History 64/65 Comets old drag cars lets see pictures

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by apound, Feb 17, 2009.

1. Studemike

Studemike

I want to Thank Steve for posting the pictures of my 64 Cyclone as I have a hard time with photobucket, but I will keep trying as I have a few photos of Comets to post from around the St Louis area.

2. SLCK64

SLCK64

Nice green Comet you have there sir! Seeing all these E.T.s with what engines you guys are running is making me think the 302 won't get me far! Haha def need to get rid of the 3.00:1's

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

3. Analog Dog

Analog Dog
    from Utah

What kind of ETs and MPH were the 64-65 B/FX Comets running back in the day? What kind of horsepower and vehicle weight? What about camshaft specs and compression ratio? I know induction was either 2x4 Holleys or 4 Webers...anybody have any specs on these killer Comets?:cool:

4. Studemike

Studemike

Steve, I just happen to know someone that owned a 65 BF/X Comet back in the day. That happens to be my father-in law! It was sold through Laughlin Miles in Alton Ill. new . They also sold an AF/X Comet that has appeared on this site.
    I called Sherman this evening and stated that the BF/X ran 12:70s at Alton Dragway. He purchased the car off a car lot used in 66 or 67. He raced it in M/P as there was not much of FX racing at Alton. The motor according to him was delivered new as a select built (blue-printed) hand assembled stock 271hp motor. Nothing remained stock for long with these cars as cams go so they could have had almost anything. This car had the 2 4's on it. He ran 5:86 and 6:17 gears this car, it was a go-getter for the first 1/8 mile and just kind of maintained the rest of the quarter, he won a lot of races with this combo.
    Sold the car when Uncle Sam come a calling to some fellow from Indiana. We attended the Hot Rod Reunion in Bowling Green about 5 years ago and it was on display by some car collector from North Carolina by the last name of Hensen it now sports Webers.
    Sherman was also in contact with Doug Nash back in the day and Doug was a lot of help with parts and info regarding the set up of the car.
    Hope some of this helps you fill a few voids regarding the ol BF/Xers.
    Mike

5. ClearSpot

ClearSpot
    from Michigan

Not a bad choice for a centerfold :D!

Attached Files:

6. DC-DD

DC-DD

After 4 years of negotiations we were able to free this car the other day. A true barn find as you will see from the pictures it was raced to the mid 70's and then parked for nearly 40 years.

Dominic

Attached Files:

7. DC-DD

DC-DD

more

Attached Files:

8. DC-DD

DC-DD

few more

Attached Files:

9. DC-DD

DC-DD

more

Attached Files:

10. DC-DD

DC-DD

couple old photos

Attached Files:

11. DC-DD

DC-DD

few after a little cleaning

Attached Files:

12. OldColt

OldColt

Wow, that Comet cleaned up great! It looks really cool with that side panel paint scheme. Small block Ford motors were really rare in SS/O back when I was racing. The underfactored 283/220hp Chevy II's dominated that class. Seemed like Gary Summers and Kip Martin from Kentucky were the only ones in the country that could get close to them.

--- Steve ---

13. 65COMET

65COMET

That Cyclone looks great! I bet it is a solid car,NO RUST!!! 289 4-Speed,is the drivetrain still in it?What are your plans for the Cyclone? ROY.

14. DC-DD

DC-DD

Yes 289 4spd car motor still in it . its a complete car will try to get running the way it is for now. the car is rust free super solid. it was running 11;80's back then.

15. teddisnoke

teddisnoke
    from So Cal

Great to see it out in the sunlight after so long... Congratulations!

16. 65COMET

65COMET

DC-DD;Thank You for the response!! Good LUCK with the Comet,sounds like it ran pretty good,especially for so many years ago!!Keep all of us informed on here,great find! ROY.

17. speedyb

speedyb
    from socal

Cool super stocker,

18. SOHC427

SOHC427

Wow, need car! Congrats.

19. SOHC427

SOHC427

Hey Roy, What was the size of the Halibrands on the front of the A/FX Comets?
    Eric

20. 65COMET

65COMET

Eric;I would imagine 15X4,A/FX Dave should know { not the Dave we know ],he is on here,A/FX Dave is his User Name! ROY.

21. SOHC427

SOHC427

If he doesn't answer, I will PM him. Thanks Roy!

22. b.guggenmos

b.guggenmos

Very cool car you found. I love the old stuff! Keep us informed on progress. Congrats. Brian

Last edited: Sep 9, 2013
  23. SMITH&WELSH

SMITH&WELSH

A couple Pics from my cell phone

Attached Files:

24. Now that is a great barn find.
    Roger

25. bluebolt

bluebolt
    from Benton LA

I posted this on page 2 of this thread of 2009! I hadn't touched the car since then but today I pulled it out of its hidey hole and washed it. Pics soon I promise!

26. AFX DAVE

AFX DAVE

The 65 A/FX Comets that had Halbrands are 15" x 4" wide with a 4 1/2" Ford bolt pattern, you have to run tubes in them, and I use a race front runner. Be carfull who you have mount those tires, they are 50+ years old. There Rare and not cheep. ~~~~AFX DAVE~~~~

27. powrshftr

powrshftr

Those oddball big valves wouldnt happen to be 1.88"/1.625" would they...?You may be sitting on a pair of GT 40 289 heads as used on the GT-350R's.

Scott

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

28. bluebolt

bluebolt
    from Benton LA

Don't think so, when the engine was rebuilt the valves were changed to Chevy 1.94/1.60's. Before that they were slightly smaller.

29. dscomet

dscomet
    from michigan

great barn find looks great cleaned up hope you get it running soon:)

30. SOHC427

SOHC427

Thanks Dave, I am eyeing a set, and wanted to make sure that was correct.
    Eric