Register now to get rid of these ads!

1956 Ford F-100 update

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by RetroSteel, Mar 14, 2011.

1. The 1956 Ford F100 i'am rebuilding for my wife has a 1978 Chev 1/2 ton truck frame underneath. You get independent front suspension, power steering & power front disc brakes. The truck had a 350/350 combo. Truck sits right and handles great.!
    Cleaned up the engine bay for the new 383 GM crate truck motor.
    340 hp @ 4500 RPM
    435 FT LBS @ 4000 RPM
    1.94 Vortec heads
    9.1-1 compression
    4 bolt mains

Will be running a 700 R4 tranny for those long highway cruises. Had to move the tranny mount back 2 inches for the 700 R4. The overall length of the 700 R4 is almost the same as the Turbo 350 & the output shaft is the same spline. I will be able to use the old driveshaft.
    Usually when i replace a motor i prime it and do the start up with the motor in. Because the motor mounts are in the stock location with the '78 Chevy Truck frame , the motor is much further back, making priming a almost impossible task, thus the test stand.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    ps>Those rusty headers were used only for start up!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Hear it run!

2. New motor is in, will be making up transmission lines, mounting new radiator and a new exhaust system.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    You can see the MSD HEI
    [​IMG]

3. iamflashman

iamflashman

At least you can tune the ignition in the car!

4. 42 chevy

42 chevy

Looks great. I bet you can't wait to go for a drive.

5. not much Ford or '56. lol

6. Flashman >> I can set the timing, while driving the truck!:rolleyes:

42 chevy >> Should be ready to go in a couple of weeks, can't wait for the weather to get better!:D

7. Here's a couple of pics i took today.
    Truck now has a CPP reverse hood. Really nive kit with stainless wheel guides. No more worring about hood fit or flipping up on the freeway.

[​IMG]
    Got this custom made aluminium tonneau cover from Pros Pick in Ontario. Can be worked from a rocker switch under the dash or by Key Fob. It has weatherstripping included which should make it some what water resistant. Also can load stuff in the back for security and don't have to worry about it flying out!
    [​IMG]

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  8. BBYBMR

BBYBMR

Damn nice truck!

9. Thanks!

10. Here's a pic of the '56 towing the '27.
    The F-100 has a full frame hitch with air shocks & air bags to help level out the ride while towing. The air bags are controlled by an on board compressor.
    [​IMG]

Paul B likes this.
  11. ol'chevy

ol'chevy

What was involved in the frame swap? I am starting a 55 F100 soon.

12. Sorry can't help you there, as when i bought the truck the swap was already done. What i can say, is that it handles great and any parts eg, brakes, bearings, steering etc, etc are all easy & cheap to buy. Good Luck!

13. Towing my sons '31 roadster last week

[​IMG]

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  14. Just got back from a trip to Edmonton, Alberta in the truck. (aprox. 1200 KM each way) We had a blast!
    [​IMG]

15. Fedman

Fedman

Beautiful Truck, Enjoy the road trips and the memories from it! :D

16. Thanks Fedman, 1st time to do such a long trip, but not the last time!:cool:

17. Nice 56. My favorite year F 100!

18. Thanks OL 55!

The '56 F-100 is the last of the old design looking trucks for Ford. They were the last to have the big front pontoon fenders ('57 Ford pickups and future Fords, the hood went to the outside edge of the body)
    They are classics for sure! :)

19. ugotpk

ugotpk

Yep. Been there! Good looking project. UGOTPK from Tenino, WA.

20. Like the colour combo on your '56!:cool:

21. Picture was taken @ Sherwood Park, Alberta our final destination!
    [​IMG]

kidcampbell71 and Paul B like this.
  22. Here is a short video of a "Smoke Show" we encountered on the way back from Alberta, near the B.C./Alberta border. Seems a locomotive either had blown a head gasket or it had bad injectors.:confused:
    http://youtu.be/hqR88-CO02E

23. MrPhil6969

MrPhil6969

Beautiful ride.

24. hoop

hoop

Great looking truck!