Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hauling a non rolling car NEED HELP

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by crazy_tonguezz, Sep 8, 2013.

1. crazy_tonguezz

crazy_tonguezz
    from glendale

Im looking at an excelent parts car for my car. My only problem is that the

parts car is a non running non rolling , (no front wheels) and its in Blaine

Washington. Im in Phoenix Az. Are there any H.A.M.B members that haul cars. Also whats a Guess_timate to have a car moved from there to here??

2. greaseyknight

greaseyknight
    from Burley WA

Does it have a front suspension that the seller can throw some wheels on? That would make it infinity easier to ship.

3. Make up a wood frame with wheels, cost about $50.00 (2x6's)
    Worked when I picked up my '47 cab.
    (its under the cab)
    The other wood frame work is to lift the body....

Attached Files:

4. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I know a guy who would possibly do it but it will cost you more than the car is possibly worth to have him to do it. I think the last time we talked about it he was saying 1.50 a loaded mile plus another fee for unloaded miles if you can't find him a back haul.
    According to Google maps that's 1522 loaded miles and the same on the return trip.

Add into that the simple fact that PNW guys will tell you that any parts car from the Blaine area could easily be a total rust bucket as it is right up on the Canadian border and right on Puget Sound. Unless you have someone inspect it and make positive that the parts you want are good it may be in worse shape than what you are attempting to fix. I'm not trying to upset your applecart but I hate to see guys buy unknown rigs like that and then find out that they are worse than what they are trying to fix.

5. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That wood frame thing with casters might not work with a 4000+lb hulk Rick. From his avatar he is wanting to haul an early 60's full size Mercury.

6. mechanic58

mechanic58

This is going to be cost-prohibitive. The only way you can justify this is to go get it yourself. At least then you could apply some of that cost to your "vacation" of sorts...lol.

7. mechanic58

mechanic58

Also...$1.50 a loaded mile is WAY cheap. I think you'll find that it is going to cost more like $2.00+ a loaded mile. Shipping stuff like this is way more expensive than shipping a running/driving car that a driver can just go drive up on his hauler and leave with in about 15 mins.

8. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Mechanics 58 probably has the best suggestion of all. Most regular haulers won't mess with a car that won't roll so they can winch it up on the trailer. If it has hubs on it so a guy can throw a pair of roller tires on it that isn't much of a problem just an extra step.
    Another option might be to rent one of those XX$ a day U hauls with unlimited miles and load your tools in it and head up there and remove everything you need and load it in the back and head back or just run up in your pickup and do the same. A few years ago before scrappers were buying cars I sold two ot cars on Ebay and the buyers had me strip what they wanted and ship it (and paid me to do it) and then call the scrapper for the hulks. The Caddy was sold to a guy in Germany and the Elkie to a guy in Kentucky.

I just calculated the gas costs out for my buddy's truck and a triangle trip from his house, to Blaine to Phoenix and back is going to take right at $1600.00 for gas for his truck pulling the trailer not counting other expenses. That should give you some idea of why the costs for hauling are high.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2013
  9. crazy_tonguezz

crazy_tonguezz
    from glendale

yup im just going to have to pass on this deal. if it wasnt so expensive to ship the parts car would be worth having.
    I only wanted the car for the power window options and interior and ext trim . for $500. the car is a steal ! 1963 1/2 mercury 2 door fast back s55 package , its in pieces but has so damn much i want off of it in one shot lol. The car does have rust but i wasnt planing on restoring it. So now some one close to that area will find a smoking deal !!! And maybe they will sell me some of the parts i want lol.
    Thank you guys on the awesome fast input, ive never had a car hauled so im lost on what was a good deal and how to get it done.
    http://bellingham.craigslist.org/cto/4049264651.html

insert tears here !

10. As one of the three quality transporters here on the Hamb I can tell you that if it did roll I would have quoted you $1785.00 but I do not put anything on my Featherlite that might scratch it so the non roller is definetly out.

11. crazy_tonguezz

crazy_tonguezz
    from glendale

i completely understand your concern to scratch your transporter. i came to a quick conclusion that the 500 dollar car was going to become a 2500 dollar car turning it to a non cost affective car..
    well i thank you for your response
    Hopefully some one on the hamb will pick it up and sell me parts lol :D:D

12. 53 COE

53 COE
    from PNW

Gotta love that weathered hood. Best thing to do would be make a vacation of it, rent a U-haul and take her home yourself. That's how I got the Dart home a year ago - Hauling it was half the fun!

Attached Files:

13. Big_John

Big_John
    from Upstate NY

Saw this on another forum.

[​IMG]

14. 69f100

69f100
    from So-Cal

:confused: thats the most ingenious thing ive seen in a while

15. 53 COE

53 COE
    from PNW

Have done that twice with '40 pickups - but short distances and they were very light compared to the beast he wants to tow. Got one off Craigslist for free just a couple years ago, basically just a cab and front sheet metal. Parted it out on eBay and made $1,500. That's another thing to consider - could you sell off what you don't need to recoup some expense.

Or make them an offer for just the parts you need shipped. Or remove the parts there yourself and call a scrap hauler.....

;)

16. crazy_tonguezz

crazy_tonguezz
    from glendale

I wish i could go and haul it back myself. Unfortunately i don't have vacation time available right now. Its killing me knowing i won't get this car. It could be next to my Monterey

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

17. rprice76

rprice76
    from Palominas

A Marauder for $500!? It would be worth it to turn your Monterey into a Marauder!