Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 3 Generation 53 'Burban

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by murfman, Sep 9, 2008.

1. murfman

murfman

This is a pretty crappy paint drawing of what I was contemplating for the rear wheel wells:
    [​IMG]

What is the consensus, stock, opened up, or skirts?

2. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I vote stock.

3. murfman

murfman

Yeah, I'm not going to cut them. I'm thinking stock with the option of skirts.

4. murfman

murfman

No more Yellow, or red, or blue lol
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Also bought a set of skirts from 54 Delray here on the HAMB they were still in the original box with all the hardware still in the sealed envelope.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. johnod

johnod

Nice looking car, I've come to like that body style.
    I think stock wells, then you have the skirt option available too.

6. murfman

murfman

That is where I'm heading, I found the skirts and think I like them, I like them enough to get them fitted up and painted anyway. After the car is in color I can figure out if I'll keep them.

After the Iron Invasion this past weekend, and talking to the guys at Arnie's Auto Body Supply I am thinking about some Pink Metalflake and pearl white for paint

7. murfman

murfman

Anyone have any ideas about shaving the hood ornament on this thing? I need to figure out how to support the hood latch bracket to the hood.

8. murfman

murfman

Primed and sealed so it wont flash rust:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. bob3757

bob3757
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Tigard, Or

Here's a couple pictures of my "54 Suburban. The top is chopped 3". I've posted pictures of it before, but this seemed like an appropriate thread to put them on again. Bob

Attached Files:

10. Johnunit

Johnunit
    from Toronto

Nice car with a lot of interesting touches.

Is this going to see mileage before your daughter is of age to drive? I only ask because you've bought new tires but they'll be getting to the "useless in the rain" age by the time she's 16.

11. murfman

murfman

Bob, that is a nice 54. The Chop looks nice, not too much. I tossed the idea of chopping the wagon around but opted to keep it stock, as it will be my Daughter's driver for school.

Johnunit, it will hopefully be on the road come springtime and have a few miles on it to work out any bugs that pop up. My daughter is really getting into the traditional rod/custom scene and we will be hitting a bunch of the Midwest shows and cruises next year.

12. johnod

johnod

Thats a great looking car, I even like the colour.

When you chopped it, did you keep the A and C pillers at their stock angles, and lengthen the roof , or tilt them?

13. murfman

murfman

Looks to me like the roof was lengthened. The tailgate does not seem angled forward from stock.

14. bob3757

bob3757
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Tigard, Or

A&c pillers are at the stock angle, the top was lengthened. Fortunately I was able to find another top, only one seam across the top. Bob

15. johnod

johnod

That's what I thought , but couldn't be sure from th pics.
    It's a really nice car.

Thanks for posting.

16. murfman

murfman

Well for the first time in 5 years the front fenders are bolted to the body. There is a LOT of bodywork to be done but I did weld on some '53 Merc headlight rings after modding the headlight buckets to mount to the back side of the fenders. I think the Merc rings, skirts, and Vdub tail lights help to lengthen the proportions of the car losing a bit of the stubbieness.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. after seeing this thread i wish i was your 16 year old girl gitting this wagon...i mean nice job thus far. but in all seriousness i like it alot. i have been diggin wagons latley. keep up the good work, make your dad proud and your daugter the envy of all. i have been thinking that when i have kids i will be building them something cool like that for their first rides.

18. murfman

murfman

While trying to decide what to do with the grille, I contemplated everything from a 55 DeSoto, to an Aussie DeSoto to a Early 'Vette. The problem is I really like the way the stock parking lights flow with the fender and grille. As I poured over pics of 53 Plymouths I had the brain fart of chroming the lower grille bar and the outer upper grille bars. I dropped them off at A & R plating in Bedford Park on Tuesday and they called and told me they were done yesterday morning! They did a nice job of knocking out a few dents that were in the panels as well.

Dress Rehearsal:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

After looking at it partially assembled (There are still 4 Stainless bands that go on the upper grille bar) I ca'nt understand why Plymouth didn't do this from the factory, at least on the deluxe models.

19. johnod

johnod

Grill looks good to me.
    That bumper looks like it has good chrome on it, so this idea probably sucks, but...

Have you considered flipping the bumper and narrowing it a bit?
    Would make front end look less wide, IMO.
    Look at the 3rd pic and you'll see what I mean.

Remember i don't know what I'm talking about.

20. murfman

murfman

Funny you say that. I was thinking about flipping the bumper as I looked at the pics myself. I'm gonna look into it.

21. murfman

murfman

Frenched the antenna this afternoon:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I checkd around here to see how most guys do it, but I did it a little different, instead of a washer for the bottom and a tube/hose for a drain I used a strip of flat stock so there is a larger opening (Actually 2, one on each side of the antenna nut) for water and crap to drain out:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

22. murfman

murfman

Been a long time since I had time to play in the shop but I did get some color in the door jams and edges so I can fit the doors and front clip and get everything lined up.

I got carried away with the masking tape lol

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

23. Lookin' good. I've had mine since 1976 and I love it. Your engine sure is prettier than mine. :)

Attached Files:

24. murfman

murfman

I've seen pics of yours, and I like the way you did the 2 tone. I am considering doing the same in pink/black.

25. Subscribed. I can't believe this thread is 5 yrs old and I never saw it before yesterday.
    I really like the 2 tone on mine. I think it helps break up the "stubbiness" a little. Interesting that you found an "el camino" version to work with. I was considering doing that to mine at one time. Glad I didn't. Looking forward to seeing the finished wagon. Keep up the fine work.

26. jdrew

jdrew

Lovin the build, great job so far!

Question...odd you mod the 8.8 at all, did you do anything special adapting it to the wagon? I thought the center section was offset...yours look centered.

27. johnod

johnod

El Camino???

28. motoandy

motoandy
    from MB, SC

Nice work. I am feeling the need for a visor?????

I like the direction of the build. Nice job on the frenched antenna.

29. murfman

murfman

No mods other than new spring perches.

The rust free body I bought in Nevada was an aborted El Camino conversion the roof was cut off behind the doors.

Thanks! I am on the lookout for a visor

30. Quote:
    <table border="0" cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" width="100%"> <tbody><tr> <td class="alt2" style="border:1px inset"> Originally Posted by murfman [​IMG]
    There was a post a couple of weeks ago about your daughters first car. This is going to end up my daughters in a round a bout sort of way. My dad bought me my first project for my 13th birthday, 14 years ago I returned the favor and bought him a '50 Saratoga Highlander, as the only Mopar engine he had never owned was a straight 8. Over time the straight 8 has been replaced by a 440 with an OD auto trans 4 WDB etc.. He retired 6 years ago and I thought he was getting bored, so I bought him a 53 Plymouth Suburban wagon project. Car was from upper Michigan and pretty rough. This February we found another in Pahrump Nv on E-bay, but the roof had been cut off "el Camino" style. We drove out to get it, and weve been playing with it all summer, cut the roof off the first one, welded it to the Nevada shell, and today, finally dropped the body onto the rolling frame. The third generation part is, he's decided to paint it Pink, and give it to my daughter. (She is 8 now, and actually helped put the body back on the frame today)
    </td> </tr> </tbody></table>
    ^^^^^"El Camino"