Register now to get rid of these ads!

292 y block advice

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 55~f100, Aug 26, 2013.

1. 55~f100

55~f100

About to start my first build of a y block engine. Any advice and things to watch for would be appreciated. The engine is going in a 55 f350 in front of the stock 4 speed manual. The engine that was in it was a '64 292 already bored 60 and wore out. I have purchased a 58 292 that mic's out to be std with a set of 113 heads and 3 extra cranks all std. It all appears to be in good shape, we will soon see.

Bryan

2. 55~f100

55~f100

Thanks that's really great info. I didn't get anew distributor with the pile of parts I got over the weekend. Would the one out of the 64 be a good choice? I had already converted it to the ignitor II.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

3. '64 is a fine choice, mechanical advance on '57 and up. That's what you want. ;)

4. sunbeam

sunbeam

Save the 64 292 it can be bored and use oversized 312 pistons. These motors have a lot of meat in the cylinder walls. When Ford went to the 312 they shortened the rods so the piston compression height is the same.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2013
  5. speedshifter

speedshifter

Make sure you don't install the head gaskets backwards. Of the 4 outside corners of the gskt, 3 are rounded, 1 is square. The square corner goes to the bottem front corner of the head. This will put the large water passage of the gskt to the rear . Main bearing oil clearance is very critical. I like .0015". For the inexperienced the rope type rear main seal can be difficult. I believe a y block builder in CA sells a neoprene type seal. Replace the cam brgs without fail. Consider cutting a groove in the 2 cam journals that oil the rocker arms. When installing the timing chain do not put the index mark on the crank gear at 12 o'clock & the index mark on the cam gear at 6 o'clock. the marks point to the right & the chain has 2 colored links that line up with marks on the gears. Read this in your old Motors manual. You can pinch closed the small drain pipe on the end of each rocker shaft. The oil holes in the rocker shafts,that feed the rockers go to the bottom. The main bearing bolts for the #3 main are slightly longer than the others. Have fun, Greg

6. Hey OP whats the plan for exhaust on the y-block?

7. 55~f100

55~f100

Plan on running a set of headers from reds. I'm not trying to build a power house but as I mentioned before, it's going back in a 55 f350 with a flatbed so it needs to be strong enough to move this big truck around comfortably. I've got 4 sets of rocker assemblies i will get the #'s off them this evening. Really appreciate the help so far.

Bryan

8. The reds headers are supposed to be great from what I hear. I had sold them before they were installed on my car so I didnt get to hear them unfortunately.

9. Hey Bryan,

I've taken quite a few notes on building a Y from FTE Y Block threads over the years. Happy to share them with you if U wanna PM me an email address.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

10. 55~f100

55~f100

Update:

Got the block checked out today and its worn about 020 over. Should I take it to 040, or take it on to 060 since I already have pistons that size in good shape from the other block? Also the numbers on the rockers are ECG 6564.

Bryan

11. Man, I really want a Y-Block for my '59 Galaxie. These are great looking engines.

12. Bonus! High ratio. ;)

13. 1960fordf350

1960fordf350
    from ohio

my f350 has a 62 292 in it. It has a 514 gear in the rear. I'm sure yours is geared high also. The 58 motor is set for more horse than the 64. Unless your gonna haul something, you will cruise just fine.

14. 55~f100

55~f100

Where can I get new end plugs for my rocker shafts? Anyone know size right off or part#.

Bryan

15. 55~f100

55~f100

Finally got to start putting the Y back together last night. Lifters and cam are in. Also got the crank in with all five mains clearances at .0015. Seems to be coming together quite nicely, hope the rest goes smooth.

Bryan

16. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

17. That Mctim guy might know what he is talking about, you may want to listen to him ;)

18. Watched him run at El Mirage this season and as Tman said "pull up a chair and put on yer ears" because he knows y-blocks!

19. luke13

luke13

y blocks are always good choice of motor a bit hard to find but that makes em even better, id make sure i renewed the water pump assembley and dizzy bush while its down. make sure your rocker assembly is not to worn out. most of the ones ive found have all been worse for wear in these areas, i heard of one that was found a while back that had a piston made of hardwood believe it or not. i personly found one that was bored out to 20 over one cylinder only, must have been standard practice sometime back maybe.

20. They certainly got a sweet sound ... and so damn purdy!