Register now to get rid of these ads!

hemi to chev AT adapter

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Fenders, Sep 1, 2013.

1. Fenders

Fenders

Getting moving on my next build, a Desoto 291 into a 31 coupe.
    291 will have a Chev AT behind it. Looking at Wilcap and Hotheads adapters:

WILCAP: http://www.wilcap.com/Hemi.html#392350
    $580.

HOTHEADS: http://www.hothemiheads.com/transmission_adapters/adapter_chevy_auto.html
    $435.

They adapter plates look different (I'm sure they both work) and the kits are priced way different. Anyone recommend one or the other?

Also, what are the pros and cons of the starter either on the driver's side, or the passenger side?

Thanks for input.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2013
  2. Nemosgarage

Nemosgarage

With the starter on the passenger side it allows more room for a steering box.

3. Fenders

Fenders

Which is why I wondered why some people would put it on the pass. side......

I see that Speedway also has the kit, looks similar to the Wilcap adapter plate design.

4. Pat at Wilcap asked me thuroughly about steering box/steering/starter placement/and exhaust.
    Didn't push anything on me at all- Asked Q's I didn't think of at the time....
    Very Helpfull and all. I went with Wilcap. 354 Chry in a 30 roadster.
    Knowledge,especially from the mfg got my vote!

5. TR Waters

TR Waters
    from Vermont
    1. Early Hemi Tech

Either brand will work equally as well as the other.

6. George

George

Bob @ HH said his full circle adaptor has to be bolted up before you put the oil pan on(@ least on rear sump pans). If you can't get the pan off with the engine in the car I can see problems with work on the tranny or engine if you have to drop the pan to separate the engine/tranny.

7. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

We used a Wilcap in an A/GS Willys, with a 400 Turbo behind a blown 392. It's still in there after nearly 20 years, and Pat is a great guy to deal with.

8. kurts49plym

kurts49plym
    from IL

I used a wilcap a number of years ago, with lots of frustration I got it to work. I remember having to remove the rear main bearing in order to bolt it up. Also, there were some issues with bolting the flywheel which I can't remember how I fixed. It will work, but it's not a slam dunk.

9. bostonhemi

bostonhemi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I got this kit from speedway. HH was out of stock.

Attached Files:

10. deucemac

deucemac

When I bought my Hemi adapter from Wilcap, I also got a timing cover/water pump mount. I told Patrick that it looked just like a Hot Heads cover. He said "that's because it is. I sell his covers and he sells my adapters". I suspect that is what Speedway does too. I am very pleased with both items and run a remote filter to avoid any clearance problem with the right side starter.

11. TR Waters

TR Waters
    from Vermont
    1. Early Hemi Tech

I have never used one, but have heard there is difficulty with bolting up the torque convertor when using some of those "full circle" adapters, as there are no holes to access those bolts.

12. Fenders

Fenders

Thanks for the info, guys, this gives me a place to start looking.
    What a job getting the converter off the engine, well that's done....

13. Hombre

Hombre

I am using the HH adapter, it very well may be made by Wilcap I just do not know. It is nothing like the adapter shown above though. The one thing I would advise is to tap the crank flange, I did this on my blown 392 build and installing the flex plate was a breeze. On the hemi I am building now I did not tap the crank flange and installing the flex plate was an ordeal. It was doable with the Hot Heads adapter but a huge pain. I personally will never not tap the flange ever again.

Desoto291Hemi and deucemac like this.
  14. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I cant speak to the Desoto to Ford but I used a Desoto 330 to Dodge 518A (727) adapter from HH and loved it! Plenty of room to bolt up the converter, used HH's gear reduction starter as well. No shims.

Hnstray and Desoto291Hemi like this.
  15. 55blacktie

55blacktie

What's wrong with a 727 Torqueflight?

George likes this.
  16. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Original thread is seven years old and has been dead since then until Hombre got bored and dug it up.

But Billy Bandit answered a question for me if I ever drag the 330 out of the shed. I do have a torque flight stashed away for it.