Register now to get rid of these ads!

White walls tires & mag wheels-traditional?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mrchevrolet2, Aug 25, 2013.

1. Paul

Paul
    Editor

haha and I'm ok with that :)

that was then, this is now.
    I don't think I would build that car again.

I see the influence the HAMB has on a lot of our build styles
    I don't think it's peer pressure so much as education

2. holt1

holt1

I agree, I remember white walls only on painted steelies or possibly chrome reverse wheels and never on mags. There might have been an occasional guy who had a set of white wall cheater slicks on mags on something like a '32 coupe or something like that. Or you saw some whites on painted steelies with hubcaps on a sled. Most of the hotrods had mags with bias plys. We ran mickey thompsons and Polyglass tires on mags. When radials started being all the rage you usually saw some low pro's on stuff like Trans Am's and Camaro's and the occasional hopped up van.

3. holt1

holt1

My next thought about this thread is that just because we who grew up in the 50's, 60's, 70's DO remember what tires folks were running on cars, and believe me it could be some oddball crap depending on your budget, and also what you found used. You need to remember and most don't know this; before the radial tire if you had a tire that was only worn down and not blown you could take it and get it retreaded. I remember standing there while the guy put new threads on my treads! lol. Also used tires were plentiful. And a set of 50's 60's bias ply's were pretty cheap right after radials came out. I freak out on the price of these tires now. A thousand dollars to put em on your ride!

Now then my point as I digressed: Just because we remember that shit doesn't mean there is a hard and fast rule. This car here is killer! It comes down to individual taste. As with every forum there are those who like to hammer on others about what is correct, blah blah blah. I see it on a guitar forum I hang out on. I love cars man, love em. Its nuts how obsessed with them I am. And I mean all of em! I'm looking at picking up a 1992 BMW 750IL with a V-12 for a daily ride for 800.00. So I will have two darth vader mobiles. The 55 Buick foor door and the 750 beemer.

4. holt1

holt1

this car is outrageously cool! what is the body shell?

5. Other than the spark plug location there is absolutely nothing wrong with that car ... beautiful!

6. holt1

holt1

I think the blackies would look better. Especially on the front. Or maybe some pinstriped tires. I think on this car the massive WW take away from the chrome strip running down the side of the car.

Funny, i'm leaving my quote as is for the above and here is why. I'm 48, sitting outside on my laptop having a cup of coffee and a smoke. I got bifocals this year, the picture was small and I went back and opened up the link to the picture of the car, low and behold! Looking through the bottom lenses of the glasses what appeared to be a chrome stripe is a set of up-set side pipes! Crazy, old age. :confused::eek::rolleyes:

7. ronnieroadster

ronnieroadster

Mags and White walls Tradtional Of course they are!
    Growing up in the sixties I so wanted any of the Monogram 1/8 Scale models each one had mags and whitewalls so did the Lindbergh line of kits. The original Big T was built full size with OH MY GOD mags and white walls. Let me see those model kits came out in 1961 that makes the look only 52 years old I call that timeless.

bowie likes this.
  8. holt1

holt1

My last post jamming up this thread. I agree with the intent of this forum and enjoy it immensely but I have to tell you that a huge amount of the styling I find here is more what folks were running on cars and the way a lot of cars were built in the early mid 70's and not the years prescribed. Especially tires and motor/rod builds. Stuff was plentiful then. Especially in the aftermarket and used market. finding hotrod parts was easy. Stuff was everywhere. I do agree with the rules of posting though and the purity of it to try and keep a "scope" alive here.

9. The Big T kit (and full size car) originally had painted steelies and baby moons... the mags were added later to 'update' the kit... ;)

10. slammed

slammed

[​IMG][​IMG] 3window31 took these at the Primer Nats. in CA.

11. Chevy Gasser

Chevy Gasser

Yes, it was done and done a lot. Guys who ran blackwalls on mags did it to be different!:D

12. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

If this car does not get a pulse..... please seek medical attention ,....... pronto.

Yea... whites and mags are traditional.The BB has it in spades.... right along with a injected 312 Y-Block.

Attached Files:

13. slammed

slammed

[​IMG] Here, yet another way back, done that car w/ the mag-WW's.

14. ANDEREGG TRIBUTE

ANDEREGG TRIBUTE
    from Bordertown

9 pages and this hasnt been posted....ya, ya, ya its not back "in the day" but there was some mysterious stuff in the pomade these guys were using.....
    [​IMG]
    courtesy of the Shifters

15. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Looks way out of proportion. Mainly in the rear. But those mags sure are shiny.

16. ... I remember the model kits and the piecrust slicks... I plan on putting on older REAL mags once I can afford to hunt down a set ! settled with theses old slots for now...

17. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Funny. Just open the front cover of this months Hot Rod Magazine. It all depends on the build.

18. ronnieroadster

ronnieroadster

Oh how I love cleaning my whitewalls and Raider wheels

19. chopt55bc

chopt55bc

<--- I hear ya Ron! buncha fuckin know it alls.

20. spiderdeville

spiderdeville
    from BOGOTA,NJ

21. Oh no Jeff, it just can't be, I just read this did not happen. This must be Photoshopped!
    Oh wait, you use Painter..; )
    I sure like the look, it does not work on all cars, but on the right car like the BB, I would want it any other way.

22. 327Eric

327Eric

Ok, 9 pages of responses, so of course y'all want to hear what I have to say. I reasearched this 10 years ago, when I got a box that had every issue of Hot Rod Magazine from 1959 to 1971. What I found was a period between 61 to 64 where it was done, mostly on the rears. as many cars only had mags on the back, and most of the pics where in drag race coverage. there were cars with mags and whitewalls on the front, but painted steel wheels with whitewalls was far more common. Chrome steel wheels , slotted or 5 spoke, fell into a different category, and were seen more often with thin whitewalls, on the nicer Rods and Customs. This was from a single source, so is not an all inclusive answer, It was not done as it is done nowadays

23. 40fordtudor

40fordtudor

Settling the traditional issue is likened to trying to implement peace in the Middle East---ain't never gonna happen. Let it rest.

24. 2racer

2racer

25. period possible...
    don't give a rats arse if its not perfect traditional , my car ill do what I like
    at least its not stock

Attached Files:

• 013.jpg
      013.jpg
      File size:
      214.2 KB
      Views:
    • 002.jpg
      002.jpg
      File size:
      384.8 KB
      Views:
    • 018.jpg
      018.jpg
      File size:
      476.5 KB
      Views:
    • 021.jpg
      021.jpg
      File size:
      466.3 KB
      Views:
  26. davidwilson

davidwilson
    from Tennessee

ed roth was traditional - make your own traditions

27. slammed

slammed

28. slammed

slammed

29. Somebody

Somebody

Who cares if it's traditional as long as it loos good? The only thing is that most things that aren't traditional don't look good.

30. luke13

luke13