Register now to get rid of these ads!

got pulled over this evening

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by shotrod, Sep 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shotrod

shotrod

So me and the little woman were heading to get dinner with the roadster pickup and get pulled over,he says the reason why is my vehicle is plated wrong and instead of a truck plate I should have hobby plates on it because the vehicle is altered.My response was to him describe altered! he couldn't tell me what was altered on the rpu but he knew it was,so he says ill let you off with a warning. With an Oook thanks officer and a shake of my head in an "unfriggin believable fashion" we were off on our way.

2. chubbie

chubbie

all the shit going on in the country and this cop is waisting time on that?

3. Altered schmalterd. It has a pick up bed on it so it's still technically a truck. OTH, see if the hobby plates will save you on reg renewals. In many states, truck plates are the same as commercial plates and end up charging extra over car plates.

4. Maybe he thought you were cute ?

5. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Slow night in Racine?

6. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Warning? Does that mean the next time he catches you, you're in trouble? Maybe you should stop and talk with the chief just to get things "clear". But it seems to me that the state has already made the determination as to how your truck should be plated.

7. shotrod

shotrod

The little woman did say she was pretty sure that he lived alone and probably has two cats! So maybe your on to something lol!

8. DYNODANNY

DYNODANNY

That's one I have to check for.

9. ZachB

ZachB

Cop was probably jelluse of your ride. Lol. Honestly when you drive anything older your going to get pulled over for something retarded.

10. About 15 years ago I got stopped in my late model pick-up. County cop tells me I don't have the correct plates on my truck. I had rebuilt the truck, had it inspected by the state patrol and been issued plates about 3 months before. Told the cop this, and his reply was that he believed me, but they were the wrong plates. Turns out the state had gotten some screwed up plates that said truck on them but the sequential numbers were for cars. I had to take time off from work to go get new plates from the DOT. They couldn't just send me new ones because I had to return the bad ones. At least I didn't have to pay for the new ones!

I wouldn't bother with asking a cop what is legal. Take your warning to the DOT and let them straighten it out. I run normal car plates on a modified car and have seen thousands of others at car shows.

11. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

So, if a stock pickup were raised up with big tires, isn't that altered ? But it is still a truck. Or, if the same truck was lowered, same deal. Where is the line drawn, how much "altered" is ok, and how much is not ?

BTW, I live alone with 3 cats, does that make me better than the guy with only 2 ? :p:D

Don

12. you did right....thanks officer....hopefully he won't mess with you again....

13. daddio211

daddio211

14. You should of asked him for tickets to the policeman's ball. When he said policemen have no balls you could have just smiled and drove off!!!

15. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Hobby plate?

16. shotrod

shotrod

Ha! no this was one of Milwaukee's finest and an evel kinevel no less.

17. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Motorcycle cops have NO sense of humor. I don't know what it is about them but they are a special breed. Maybe being out in the hot sun all day or something. Generally, if a MC cop pulls you over you are getting a ticket.

Don

18. 29AVEE8

29AVEE8

BTW, I live alone with 3 cats, does that make me better than the guy with only 2 ? :p:D

Don[/QUOTE]

Don.

I live with my wife of 40 years with 3 cats. It just means I have more vet bills. One of them lives in the garage, so I have no mice to contend with.

19. Don I was told many years ago by a friend who was a bike cop that when they pull you over they are taking thier life in there hands as they don't have four wheels or something to hide behind if anything goes wrong, he told me and I believe it, that they have a code once the light goes on you are gettin a ticket!!

makes sense to me...........

20. powrshftr

powrshftr

What a douchebag.
    Just keep a detailed record of everything he did and said,and what you were doing at the time he pulled you over.If he pulls you over again,make more notes and talk to your lawyer about going to see his boss.
    If he pulls you over cause you're doing 90mph in a school zone that's one thing,but if he ends up going out of his way to bust your balls to feed his ego,that's harassment.In which case you need to shut his little program down.
    I had a similar experience when I was younger,and it was no fun.The guy harassed me for almost a year,and in the end I should have just gone over his head when it became clear it was getting out of hand.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

21. k9racer

k9racer

My little town does not have quotos but the have a contact rule. So I have been pulled over for small time reasons.. Like dirt on tag. Un able to read tag the tail gate was down{ I was hauling plywood and 10 ft 2X4.. No seat belt's in a 48 chevy and so on.. I think he needed contacts . So if you were a police officer you would say...Old man in old car equals no trouble for the said officer.. The reason less is chance of having a problem than pulling over a load of 16 to 25 year old's in a hooptey with dub's.. Last time I was on jury duty I took these unwarranted stops in to consideration.

22. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'd say the bike officer misread the statute on that one. Hobby plate says you can only drive it for pleasure or to shows, truck plate means it can be driven anywhere any time that your body will handle the weather. But you don't have to have a hobby, street rod, antique or collector plate just because the ride is old or only driven for fun.
    Maybe he thought you weren't paying your fair share by running truck plates from what I see in this: http://www.dot.wisconsin.gov/drivers/vehicles/personal/special/hobbyist.htm 100 bucks to register and 150 every year there after doesn't sound like a bargain to me.

If it's licensed and registered with the correct tonnage, insured and has passed inspection (if necessary) the cop should have a hard time justifying why he gave you a ticket to any judge.

Your answer can be as simple as you drive to work too often to want any plate that might limit your driving the truck.

On a side note, I had what I would call a field truck mid 50's to mid 60's something with too much rust showing running yom plates hauling a load of plywood and 2x4's down the street pass me during my lunch run the other day in blatant disregard for the use of yom plates in this state. There are so many clowns in this state running yom, collector or historic plates in this state on their daily drivers that aren't all that old or that special that we stand to loose them or get clamped down on hard. When I drive my 71 around and it is abeat to hell 3/4 ton I am always approached by come clown who says that next hear his car will be a "classic" because it will be 25 years old (1988 this year) and he can run collector plates on it and not have to pay for tabs again even though it is his only vehicle and he drives it to work every day.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2013
  23. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

Note to self: Do not drive my roadster through Racine Wisconsin, he would have a heyday with me.:eek:
    I'm not even displaying my current plate for starters.

24. You are on double secret probation... Just one more screw-up and you are through!!! Seriously though, He did his thing and let you go on your way.. he could have responded to your "ook officer" and head shake with a citation. Even if you beat the ticket, the time and cost involved fighting it may have been enough to satisfy the cop in return for your moment of "smugness". As for the guy that said to make notes and contact your lawyer over a warning... SERIOUSLY??? bwahahahaha... 10 hours of your time.. 500 bucks counseltation fee??? Bwahahahaha... Too fucking funny...

25. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Did pass through Racine a lot of years ago and got stopped for a nit picker check too . Is there no night life in Racine?

26. scootrz1

scootrz1
    from usa

got pulled over once where cops says he just wanted to check out my car he was building one

27. captmullette

captmullette

got a letter from florida d.o.t. that my titled 31 tudor sedan is not a 31 but now a street rod , the new tag says so, 31 tag $36, new street rod tag $80 you gotta love the way they can get your money ....thieving bastards

28. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

I don't know about your jurisdiction, but around here, motorcycle cops get hazard pay (8 1/2%) plus they get to drive the motorcycle home. On the negative side, they have to write tickets or lose the motorcycle. They don't write reports or investigate crimes, just write tickets.

29. Are you capable of evading high speed pursuit?

30. dumbest thing I have ever heard! If he is scared of his job, then get a new one. His fear of the average Joe doesnt justify giving tickets just because.....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.