Register now to get rid of these ads!

62 bel air exhaust issue

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Shane Spencer, Sep 7, 2013.

1. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

hey guys the exhaust on my daily driver 62 bel air is hanging too low in my opinion. the entire length of the exhaust is hanging below the frame. ecklers late great chevy makes a stock mandrel bent aluminized system for 249.99. does anyone have any experience with this setup or does anyone know or have a quality stock setup and does it tuck up nice under the car ? any help is greatly appreciated

you can see how low it hangs here. whats a stock system look like compared to this....
    [​IMG]

2. Gman0046

Gman0046

The 63 Belair 2 door post car in my Avatar has a complete Magnaflow exhaust system from the fender well headers all the way back to the tips. Nothing hangs below the frame. The only thing you see are the tips which exit just behind the rear wheels. The only drawback with Magnaflow is the cost. They are proud of their products.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2013
  3. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

cool. I just got the ole 235 with a glide in it. most aftermarket systems are for v8 cars. every system ive seen pictures of tucks up nice tho

4. Gman0046

Gman0046

I should have mentioned its an FI 350 and a Tremec 5 speed. BTW, your 62 Belair looks great.

5. Bellytanker

Bellytanker
    from California

I've owned a muffler shop for 35 years and just yesterday built a complete dual exhaust system on a '63 Impala using Magnaflow mufflers and there is no way any pipe larger than 1 7/8 inch tubing can be above the frame. With Magnaflow mufflers, unless you use their bullet style, 3" case muffs, the mufflers will be at least one inch below the frame. (The original design mufflers for a 55 thru 64 Chevy were only 3 1/4 inches tall.) So the OP's car may not have a well made exhaust system, but no matter how its built, most likely something will hang below the frame. I guess I should clarify that, I don't mean the complete pipe or muffler will hang below the frame, just that the bottom of something will be lower than the frame. K

Last edited: Sep 7, 2013
  6. slammed

slammed

Shop around for a muffler shop that will custom fit (tightly) a system. Bellytanker has it down. Forget those 'kits'. I will pix mine. It sit's 3" from the road at the lower A-arm. 14 inch wheels.

7. samurai mike

samurai mike

low hanging pipes on the x frame chevys is traditional

8. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

I just plan to stick with the stock 1 3/4 pipe. also I don't mind if the front edge of the muffler or something sits a little below. but mine is easily 2 or 3 inches below. its terrible. I put a post up on the Maryland group to see if anyone could recommend an exhaust shop because I don't know any good ones around here. heres a link to the system I was considering http://www.lategreatchevy.com/full-...t-system-aluminized-6-cylinder-1960-1962.html. they specialize in gm it looks like. I also sent them an email to see if they had any pics of the exhaust installed or any more info on placement

9. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

thanks man

lmao well this would be a time when traditional aint gonna cut it for me :D

10. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

Bump for the mornin crew

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

11. I had a WAAAAYYYYY OT vehicle (French luxury car) which was never officially imported into the USA, and had it's exhaust system fall off on the way home. I pulled into the next muffler shop i saw, and they did a wonderful job of a new system. Point is, most shops can do you well, even if you don't have a recommendation from 12 trusted friends and they a gold card from the BBB.

Instead of dithering, wander yourself into ANY exhaust place, look around you and assess the likelihood of competence. I have found that most places will be able to do you right. And have had the most success with a local chain called Velasquez Muffler.

Cosmo

12. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

I know the exhaust shops in the immediate area and honestly only one shop does good work. But there not cheap, thats why I asked on the maryland section if anyone could recommend a shop locally that I may have not heard about. If this stock system is as nice as it looks then ill just go that route

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

13. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

got a ton of recommendations for a local shop. $325 for the whole exhaust with a new muffler. guys done a ton of good work and has a ton of great recommendations. and he used to own a 62 bel air :D

14. slammed

slammed

Being it is a inline six, a baffled (not straight through) glass pack type bodied muffler put under the rear passenger feet area will tuck up, and be higher than the frame bottom. I have this only in duals on mine. That $325.00 is a good deal. And it is custom to YOUR car not a universal job.