Register now to get rid of these ads!

53 chevy fuel pump woes

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Erics53, Sep 7, 2013.

1. Erics53

Erics53
    from Ohio

Tried to change the fuel pump today for extra insurance since I recently changed out a nasty rusted up fuel tank. I had one hell of a time getting the old pump off. Took about 2 hours. Not much room for a wrench or ratchet and I cant quite get my fingers on it either. I got the new pump ready and slid it down in place but could not get the bolts to start. After dropping the bolts and climbing under the car 10 times, I decided to try a slightly longer bolt to hold it in place while I got the original bolt started. Well my greasy fumble fingers let the bolt slip and it bounced off my finger and went inside the engine. Ugh. Now I have to drop the oil pan. Looks like a good place to stop for today.

I thought these old cars were supposed to be fun to work on....

2. wheeltramp brian

wheeltramp brian

those drain plug holes are pretty big.might be able to get a flexable magnet and pull it through instead of dropping the pan

3. George Miller

George Miller
    from NC usa

When you try again, turn the engine so the pump lever is not on the high spot of the cam.

4. Mark Karger

Mark Karger
    from houston TX

I assume you still have a 235? If you have to drop the pan you might check to see if your rear main seal is leaking, because it would be a good time to replace it. Also the timing cover has 2 bolts which are accessed from the rear of the cover, which means the oil pan has to be dropped to remove your timing cover. You can change the bolts to mount from the front by putting larger ones( after you have drilled the holes & tapped them) . I believe Inliners International has a how to in their Tech. Section. But I would try the magnet first if the other bolt head will fit through the pan drain hole, Good Luck...

5. 5559

from tn

Sounds like some of my luck.Now would be a good time to set back & look at it for a few hours & think about it. I worked for a local chevy dealer a long time ago and an old timer gave me the best advise i've ever had------walk away from it &get a cup of coffee,when you come back everything will fall into place

6. Model T1

Model T1

That was his problem. The bolt fell into the wrong place. But I've had all those problems. Sometimes the flex magnet will work. It might take more than one cup of coffee too!

7. Erics53

Erics53
    from Ohio

Update:

Success! After reading the helpful hints here and with the advice from a few friends, I bought a 38" inspection camera from harbor freight. I bumped the starter until the crank was out of the way, then searched the depths of the engine for my lost bolt. I eventually found it in roughly the middle of the pan. They inspection camera has a magnet attachment, but it did not work well for this particular job. I got my spring loaded grippers and after 2 half hour sessions I was finally able to grab onto the bolt and carefully slide it out. As soon as it came out, it popped right out of the grippers but landed safely on the floor.

I stuffed a rag in the hole to prevent further accidents. I still couldnt get the bolts to start, even with longer bolts. I did the next best thing and bought some threaded studs,flat and lock washers and some nuts. Problem solved....I think.

Getting late for tonight so I didnt get to check my work.