Register now to get rid of these ads!

Wood Steering Wheel resto ~ who does it?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by SHIPPIE, Sep 7, 2013.

1. SHIPPIE

SHIPPIE

I have a custom mahogany steering wheel that I have stripped and sanded, but don't know what I should do to it. I've gotten several suggestions.. Lacquer it, varnish it, oil it, now I'm more confused than ever on what to do with this thing and now I'm wondering if I'm better off just sending it to someone who knows what he's doing instead of screwing it up.
    Any suggestions on who refinishes wood steering wheels with a proven track record of satisfied customers?

.... Thanks and keep on roddin :)

2. Airwolf

Airwolf

Lacquer, polys and regular varnish will degrade over time. Best bet is to either use oil or find a wood finishing shop that can use conversion varnish on it. Oil will give you a more natural finish and with the conversion varnish you can go from a matte finish all the way to high gloss.

3. oldolds

oldolds

Tung oil. Look it up.

4. SHIPPIE

SHIPPIE

AIRWOLF & OLDOLDS.... Thanks for your suggestions - I've been told teak oil and now tung oil so I'll probably go with an oil to coat it... I like the idea of conversion varnish too!!
    .... any other suggestions are greatly appreciated ....

5. With oils you will have to reapply from time to time as the oils in your hands will blacken the wood slightly from dust in the air reacting with the oils.Either of the two ,tung or teak oil , will clean and preserve the wood.

6. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

I gave a steering wheel 3 coats of spar varnish , nice and shiny and protects from the weather