Register now to get rid of these ads!

TECH: Ultimate T-5 Article

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Flat Ernie, Mar 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

The original had no pictures, only links to other sites. There's no way to make the other sites retain pictures or keep from moving the links.

I have been planning to update this post for some time, but I simply don't have the time to do a proper update lately - life is getting in the way.

2. Unibodyguy

Unibodyguy

Excellent thread! Answers most of my questions.

3. I been looking (and still looking) to see if a T56 shifter will fit a T5. S10 tail so a Camaro T5 shifter will fit but I see Mustang T56 shifters have the same square foot (all aftermarket shifters I'm looking at and some don't offer one for a T5)

Last edited: Aug 24, 2013
  4. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I believe the base-plate is a different shape.

5. praisethelowered

praisethelowered

T5 guru's-

There is a lot of talk of extending and trimming but I am having a hard time finding how how far is the input shaft ideally supposed to engage into the pilot bushing.

It looks like I have 7/16".

6. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

As deep as it is thick, is what I shoot for. I have run 3/8", without issues.

7. praisethelowered

praisethelowered

one more quetion for those with more experience-
    I am trying to bolt up the pressure plate to the flywheel and man o man does it seem to take a lot of force to pull it up tight. I am afraid of breaking or stripping the bolts. I guess that I am working against the springs but is it supposed to be really hard? the final torque is 35lbs and that doesn't seem to be enough to even overcome the springs.

Does this sound right?

and yes the clutch faces the right direction and it all was bought in a bendsens kit so should be matched correctly.

8. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Doesn't sound right. I recently installed mine and was able to run the PP down with a 3/8 ratchet and one hand. I had to relieve my flywheel for the T5 disc, center was hitting.

9. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yeah, something is not right. Could you post a picture of the flywheel center, and the center of the flywheel side of the clutch disc?

10. praisethelowered

praisethelowered

I double checked the clutch orientation, and it is right. Also you can see that the clutch disk fits tight between the flywheel and plate so there is no interference. The pressure plate - when fit over the clutch disk - and torqued to 35lbs still stands about 1/16-1/8" from the face of the flywheel (see photo).

I do not want to strip any threads on this expensive flywheel so I am being careful. But I am starting to think I am just being overly careful.

Attached Files:

11. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Well, your might pull the PP off and make sure it moves. Put a brake drum on the ground, PP over it facing down and see if you can push it down. Might need a 300lb. person to stand on it..

Or, put some studs in the flywheel threaded all the way in and use them to cinch it down, then replace with bolts one at a time.

12. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

35lb.-ft. should have them all of the way down. Proceed slowly.

13. praisethelowered

praisethelowered

Seriously- you are a mechanical genius. . . . this way the nut and stud would fail first and (because fewer threads engaged) and leave the threaded flywheel unharmed. How do think of something like this!

14. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Hardly, just a lifetime of stripping threads. Let us know how it turns out.

15. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yup, my super hero name is Captain Crossthread. I can cross thread a ketchup bottle.

Atwater Mike likes this.
  16. And that should be your signature.......

That's so awesome I would get a jacket :D:D:D

17. praisethelowered

praisethelowered

It worked perfectly and none of the stress of "is this the turn where it will strip?"

I should also mention that Bob from Bendtsens was very helpful on the tech. It is all together, and in the car-now I just have to figure out the linkage.

18. Yup, turn it 'till it strips and back it off 1 turn.:D

19. Just wanted to add that a Chevy Astro 4.3L T5 bell housing p/n 15589686, will bolt up to a SBC and has the Ford patterned or WC mounting holes that sets the shifter straight up.
    The bell housing also has the un drilled bosses for the older Chevy pattern or NWC as well. The centre hole is for the smaller Ford style front bearing retainer that can be machined larger. From what I understand, the Ford style bearing retainer can also be swapped on to the Chevy trans.
    This bell has provisions as well for a slave hydraulic clutch.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 7, 2013
  20. dogwalkin

dogwalkin
    from tn

^^^^^ I would like to know about this!!!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

21. handyandy289

handyandy289
    from Georgia

Something is not right. The pp should fit up to the flywheel without a gap. Pull the clutch out and see if it fits tight to the flywheel and is not interfering with the center of the flywheel. If there is any interference, it willdamage your flywheel and the hub of the clutch disc. An ounce of caution will avoid a pound of cure. Fix it now or fix more later. You have a disaster and catistrophic failure in the current configuration.
    let us know what you find. Good luck.

22. praisethelowered

praisethelowered

It fit up fine I just needed to overcome the srings in the clutch for that last 1/8".

23. roushflatty

roushflatty
    from michigan

is there an adapter available that will mate a t-5 to a 1950 ford sedan bellhousing

24. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

I'm not aware of an adapter, however, if you use a Ford-case T5, you should be able to adapt quite easily if using a stamped steel bellhousing. Check modernbeat's postings on this.

Otherwise, you'd need the standard 59A adapter and the Merc/Truck "ring" adapter.

25. heminh2o

heminh2o
    from Tulare, CA

If I missed it in this thread, I am sorry in advance. I found a 94-95 S10 WC T5 that the seller says it has a weird bolt pattern. Not a ford and won't bolt up to an early GM. So what is it? I don't have it in hand to get the measurements right now, but I don't want to buy it if it's not going to work. I am going to call Willcap in the morning to see what the deal is. I hope I can use it and swap the electronic sender for a standard gear, and I hope it will work behind a 8ba flathead. Any info would be appreciated... ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1389682982.990260.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1389682997.016840.jpg

So many projects..so little time

26. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That is the late Ford pattern.

27. RocketB

RocketB
    from Phoenix az

hi all,
    I'm new here been building an old 33 chevy truck with a flathead in it.
    im over in Afghanistan at the moment and trying to figure out the parts i need i have a 93 WC t5 my dad picked up, just bought a offenhauser adapter for my 1946 59a flathead. ive read around about the flyweights hitting the adapter. the flywheel in it currently is the standard 10 inch 6 hole flywheel. speedway has a 10 1/2 pressure plate with no flyweights or a 10 inch pp with flyweights what will work?

28. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If it is a 1993 T5 from an S10, it has the Ford bellhousing pattern, not the GM pattern.

Weird, I know, but thats how they were from '93-end.

There isn't a mechanical speedometer drive on it, either.

29. RocketB

RocketB
    from Phoenix az

the transmission came out of 93 v8 camaro is that still ford? Im trying to get my dad to take a pic but hes still working on learning to use an iPhone lol

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.