Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features '50 Olds 2 DR comes home; NH to NY

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ChekrdPast, Sep 5, 2013.

1. ChekrdPast

ChekrdPast

Found a 1950 Olds 88 2 Door Futuramic Sedan for sale in New Hampshire. I was told it was a solid California car that ended up on the East Coast. I went up to check it out this week. It was mostly all original minus a color change at some point (dark green to dark blue). Solid but for a few minor spots and some surface rust. The Rocket V8 fired up on the first try. I bought it on the spot. The seller signed over the title and came with me to the DMV where I got a temp plate in under 20 min while my fiancee called to get it insured. After a quick oil change and safety check I was on the road. 6 hours back to NY at 55+ and you couldn't have kicked the smile off my face. This was my first trip over a few blocks behind the wheel of a classic car (I have a project '55 Ford Panel but it's not on the road). It was close to a perfect day. Going to a friend's shop tomorrow so I can get the leaky exhaust replaced with straight pipe(s). After that a front end rebuild and probably just alot more driving until after my wedding next month when I'll get into a few other things. Pictures below. I'll try to update with more pics and any progress.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

Attached Files:

2. kein

kein

Very cool man...that must have been a great trip with heart pounding all the way just waiting for the big clunk! Glad it went smoothly and good luck with the project!

3. What a great car and story. Love those '50 Olds. Good luck with the car and the upcoming marriage.

4. chevy54man

chevy54man
    from NC

^^x2!!

5. Deadbird

Deadbird

Sweet car. Congrats!

6. CGkidd

CGkidd

Damn I am jealous. 50 Olds is one of my favorite cars.

7. jkeesey

jkeesey

Great lookin car. It seems damn near every Olds I look at has had a color change. My 1953 98 went from mint green to fire engine red sometime in the 80s.

8. cederholm

cederholm

Nice! You come over the Whitestone? I was happy as a pig in shit crossing that bridge with my '53!

~ Carl

9. ChekrdPast

ChekrdPast

It's been more fun than I ever thought it would be. I spent some time dialing in the idle and jets on the carb late last night. Ran even better this morning when I fired it up to bring to the muffler shop. Trying to post a video of it idling but having some trouble figuring it out on the app. Until I can here are a couple shots of The Rocket.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using H.A.M.B. mobile app

Attached Files:

10. 40fordtudor

40fordtudor

Kidd beat me to it--

11. Nothing like your first experience with a new car....that drive home...Same just happened to me with my new (to me) 46 Coupe!

Congrats.

Murph

Attached Files:

12. awsome! hard to beat the feeling of a cruz in a classic!

13. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

My "bucket list" car. Looks great!

14. tbm1949

tbm1949

I do like that Olds, 49 and 50 are really great looking cars.

15. petritl

petritl
    from Marion, TX

It's been a few years since I had been to my friends Ponderosa (~12 acres of pre 70s cars) there was an optioned out Olds 4 dr about this year.big brakes, auto dimming headlights, trunk mounted air conditioner . The yard is here in Central IL, if interested Message me and I will give you the owners contact info.

16. The37Kid

The37Kid

Congratulastions! Looks like a great wedding getaway car. Bob

17. Greaser Bob

Greaser Bob

What a great lookin ride man!

18. ChekrdPast

ChekrdPast

Thanks everyone. She's in the shop until Monday for the new exhaust. It's killing me because it's mid 70s without a cloud in the sky. Perfect cruising weather !

19. Snot Rocket

Snot Rocket

Congratulations! One of my first cars was a 1951 Olds 88 four door. Looks a lot like yours. The 303 rocket V8 was very reliable, even when you had to sweat out the 6 volt starts. Hydramatic? Plenty of room everywhere and so comfortable you can fall asleep at a stop sign.

Oddly enough, mine had exhaust issues, too. I had to replace mufflers a soon as I got it.

Enjoy the grace of motor cruising in your dinosaur, every penny you put in to it will be money well spent.

20. paul55

paul55
    from michigan

you can get an 8 volt battery and alt. for better starts and a little brighter lights and you don't have to change all the bulbs. Just FYI. Pops did this on his '52 with great success.

21. ChekrdPast

ChekrdPast

There is actually a 12 volt system in place already. Could use some attention but the starter turns the motor right over. After the suspension is addressed that will probably be the next project just to make it that much more reliable.

22. ChekrdPast

ChekrdPast

Snot Rocket, It's actually a 3 on the tree. Shifts great. Once the front end is squared away I'll be leaving some rubber behind!

23. NashRodMan

NashRodMan

Yep...what he said! One of my favs.

24. gtoeasy64

gtoeasy64

Looks like a good one, way to go !!

25. ZZ-IRON

ZZ-IRON
    from Minnesota

your 50 Olds 88 nice score

26. petritl

petritl
    from Marion, TX

27. jrdeleon0430

jrdeleon0430

That's a beautiful car. Nothing like driving something like that with a grin splitting your face ear to ear.

28. That is a great find and with a std tranny! I have two 50 trannies with Hurst shifters if you ever need parts. Must admit that I am a bit jealous of you.

29. ChekrdPast

ChekrdPast

Petritl- That's a '53 with the dual round dash. Still good to know as there maybe a few interchangeable parts.

vtw- I'll keep the Hurst parts in mind. Not sure what route I'm going as far as stock or a few period-correct upgrades. I appreciate it.

30. Keep your eys peeled for a 37 lasalle case with shifter. The internals from that tranny you have as well as the short tail will fit right in to the Lasalle and give you a real period look! Just had one I sent to oregon for $200.