Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My 41 plymouth coupe build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by englands54, Sep 6, 2013.

1. englands54

englands54

Here we go guys..
    I have been on the hamb here a few years, watched build threads, asked questions until I was blue in the face. Read, read and read some more about these plymouths..Growing up as a chevy guy and building chevy cars/trucks over the years, I cant believe my first build thread here on the hamb is a plymouth. To make a long story short...I purchased this plymouth 7 years ago had it for sale here on the hamb but never really wanted to sale it..After buying our new pad and getting the wife set it was my turn to build something.. I sold my pride and joy to purchase the house so I felt I needed to get something going..Being a father of 3 young boys its going to be a family build.. This 41 plymouth coupe was inspired by several guys here on the hamb and elsewhere. SlmLrd coupe is bad ass and I have asked him over and over and over about things but thought it would help in this build and save me time and headaches. So sorry SlmLrd I have also traveled all over just to look, get ideas ect on your coupe, Farmer12 was the first one who really inspired me and shows us all really the right way with these coupes or at least for me, Thank Farmer12 for sending me parts free of charge, your knowledge time ect. Im just getting this thing off its feet so to speak. I have a small block 350 with tri power, 700 r4 so the wife can enjoy as well. Hell its her car anyway.. I also want to thank Alex Gambino, over the years I have purchased parts, ask questions ect and hes always had the time.So thanks, I just a guy like the rest of you that loves cars, fabrication ect. The front I went with a frame stub from Fat Man with airride, drop spindles, ect.. Out back I want with a 4 link, I want this gal to lay.. I will keep you posted with pics ect.. Waiting on frame stub.. Thanks for all the help fellas..

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 31, 2013
    kidcampbell71 likes this.
  2. metalguy

metalguy
    from down south

This is going to be great with that awesome engine! There certainly are plenty of threads with these cool Plymouths. I've followed farmer12 when he started his build (before I even joined the jamb) and his thread has pretty much everything you need to customize a complete car. Good luck with the engine swap.Subscribed.

3. farmer12

farmer12

That engine looks killer Brian! Should be a fairly straight forward swap for someone with your skills. Keep us posted on the progress.

4. englands54

englands54

I am looking for a complete set of 40 plymouth headlight buckets, retaining rings and headlight bezels. Any help would be appreciated..Thanks

5. farmer12

farmer12

Just curious, any updates Brian?

6. englands54

englands54

The build has been real slow going.. A friend needed help with his 57 chevy truck..Sat at a body shop for 2 years and parts were lost, body work was done very poor and the truck was a mess.. I told him to bring it by and all my time was spent helping him out... I have it almost finished now so I can get back on mine..Will post new pics this week..

7. r.l.r

r.l.r

Looks like it is going to be a nice build, great car to start with. Subscribed.

8. englands54

englands54

pics of cuts

Attached Files:

9. englands54

englands54

Hope this worked for the pics

Attached Files:

10. englands54

englands54

Got the frame stub welded in place.. Added some extra on the inside for strength and on the bottom..Came together nice so far..

Attached Files:

11. englands54

englands54

Going after the engine and trans mounts in the next couple of days..Then the column.. I am going to keep the stock column and shifter ..That way still looks like 3 speed but will shift my 700r4 trans..Keep the pics coming as I can..

Attached Files:

12. desertdroog

desertdroog

Thanks for sharing the pictures of your progress. I like seeing how everyone handles their engine transplants in these cars. Particularly with radiators, belts and whatever accessories get shoehorned behind the sheetmetal.

13. farmer12

farmer12

Thanks for the pics Brian, looking good!

14. englands54

englands54

Got some more work done today on the 41.. I went after the driver engine mount and steering.. I had a heck of a time with the column and the drivers side header.. I moved the column down closer to the dash and slightly to the side to pass the header. Its close but doesnt touch..Sure looks like it touches in the pics.. I went with a ramhorn manifolds to help clear.. I used the stock column and used a 3/4 wheel barrel bearing for the front wheel. I welded that to the bottom of the column. The got a 3/4 collar and drilled a piolet hole on the shaft. This allowed for a set screw to prevent the column from moving up and down. Works well and is what I usually do when I keep these stock columns..Can get all the parts for a couple bucks at the hardware store. The column I left long on the outside of the engine. I had to so I didnt have to use another hime joint. I will cut a piece if 3/4 DD shaft to complete the steering. I will build bottom gussets for the engine mounts.. Take a look..Wont get back on it until after Christmas. Merry Christmas Hambers..

Attached Files:

15. mechanic58

mechanic58

This is going to be nice.

16. duke460

duke460
    from Wisconsin

Looking real good. Stub frame graft looks like it belongs. Did it widen the track in front? I used a fatman stub and it added1-1/2" pushing the tires close to the fenders. Did you have to modify the firewall to fit the motor? Keeps the pictures coming.

17. englands54

englands54

The frame stub I got was the exact width as the stock susp. I think the A arms are shorter..I really want to keep the stock look so I really didnt want to cut the firewall. Hell I am even going to use the original coil hole for my new coil..Crazy right? I am running a short water pump and an electric fan so its going to be real tight.. I do have to modify the floor for the trans though.. We will see here after I get the trans mounted and engine secure.. Hope its not too late and I have to cut it all back out..I measured and its going to be close. :) Going to make or try and make a bracket for power brakes under the floor where the original brake master was..Going with a small booster and going to tray and use the original pedal..We will will see..Then off to the back..4 link and ford 9''..

18. englands54

englands54

Have a question for you guys.. I went to set the upper shock mount bracket.. I notice when the spring pocket collapsed the shock moved forward..If I set the bracket It puts a bind on the shock..It still rotates but just doesnt feel right..Over time the bushing are going to ware out. ANY THOUGHTS?

19. englands54

englands54

Worked on the coupe some more..Got the shock mounts figured out.. I ended up building new lower brackets and reworked the upper ones.. I also finished the brake booster bracket and got to use the original brake pedal..Here are some pics.. Let me know what you think..

Attached Files:

20. englands54

englands54

Booster pics, I used the original bracket for the master to mount my booster bracket. I just didnt want my booster on the firewall..Just didnt want to see it but I wanted it easy to fill if needed..I think it came out good for what I wanted..

Attached Files:

21. SlmLrd

SlmLrd
    from DAGO

Looking real good!

22. 1959apache

1959apache

looks good! keep at it

23. BuiltFerComfort

BuiltFerComfort

I like it. What will that master do for your firewall / floor space?

24. englands54

englands54

I just didnt want the master on the firewall.. It doesnt do anything to the floor space.. It visable from the engine bay and is still easy to fill.. Doesnt do anything to the floor..So no changes to that.. :) Guess I could have purchased something but with a family of five I am building this on a beer and friend budget.. Thank got for friends and extra parts from my old builds and theirs.. So next is getting the suspension parts primed and painted.. Then get the suspension put back together and engine and trans put in.. Brake lines ran and installed.. Brake pedal remains in the same location.. Thats a plus for me..

25. englands54

englands54

Thanks Guys, SLMLORD WHAT SIZE TIRES ARE YOU RUNNING ON THOSE 15''?

26. englands54

englands54

Well guys got some parts cleaned and painted.. She looks better now back on her feet. I couldnt get the bags in today because I need some air fittings..Got the wrong ones so its a waiting game for the new ones..

Attached Files:

27. farmer12

farmer12

The front end has come out looking sharp. Nice work Brian! Hope to see it in real life in a couple of months!

28. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

All of that looks very familiar to me.

29. englands54

englands54

I wanted to add that the frame stub put the wheels close to the front wheel wells.. I moved the centerline back 3/4''.. I wanted to get the wheel more centered in the wheel well. I cut the core support out and relocated it.. Got the front sheet metal on today and the wheels look right.. I also see that Rockable did the same to his.. Ill will post pice when the suns out..

30. englands54

englands54

I have spent some time on the inner wells and trans tunnel. Here is the pics of the trans tunnel.. I will get the inners tomorrow for ya.. Now the trans clears nice and theres room.. Can take the engine and trans out without pulling the floor..

Attached Files: