Register now to get rid of these ads!

Dumb Question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tjd420, Sep 6, 2013.

1. tjd420

tjd420

Are AN fittings interchangeable with NPT? Looking for a hydraulic clutch flex line and everyone seems to only carry AN. Never used AN or understood it? Any advice would help.

Thanks

2. no.....but there are AN to pipe thread adapters

you could use 3 or 4 AN for your clutch line and adapt to pipe

3. mutant55

mutant55

You can buy adapter fittings that thread into the NPT thread, that have the AN taper / thread on the other end to get you to where you need to go, check out an Aeroquip, Earls catalog, or go on Summit racing to get what you need.

4. Model T1

Model T1

You were smart enough to ask. Smart question!

5. stimpy

stimpy

not stupid question , A-N uses straight threads like bolts and a 37* angle for the fitting seal face end ( not to be used with JIC or Sae flare fittings as they have a different seal degree and will not seal and leak ) , it was developed for the Army -Navy ( hense the initials A-N its not aircraft-naval as most people think because the USAF was the US Army Air Corps before 1947 ) as a standardization during WWII for hydraulics , as if you read industrial history , before WWII there were many types of threads/fittings in use , and the British used lots of different fittings and bolts , so we all sat down together and made one simple standard for all bolts and fittings so the parts could be interchanged from a Us Made tank or plane to a British made tank or plane without problems as before you had to find out if it was imperial , withworth or Sae threads , and it cut down on inventory needed and logistics on parts.

NPt is a actual plumbing thread for water and gas fittings and is a taper not straight cut and acts like a wedge on the threads as you tighten , the rules with a Npt fitting is your actully only supposed to use it once as it stretches the threads , but I known people to use them many times without leaks ( YMMV) I follow union plumbers protocol and use once then pitch them .

I would reccomend getting a XRp or Earls catalog and see whats all out here in adaptors to mix and match systems . also they have charts in the back to tell you whats what

6. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Yep, those fittings are very commonly available. They are used sometimes to screw into something like a fuel log that has npt and then you can use AN fittings and hose the rest of the way. We find a lot of them at Goodyear Rubber, not the tire stores but the hose division that makes up hydraulic hoses and things like that.

Don

7. No dumb questions,only dumb answers.Stimpy is bang on.NPT is very common in US hydraulics I believe.Just get a NPT to AN nipple(male-male) and you are fine.The hose will use an AN female.

8. burnout2614

burnout2614

All AN fittings I encounter use adapters anyway. peace

9. burnout2614

burnout2614

I should say MOST not all.

10. I like to use XRP I've used other brands their small -3 to -8 fittings are more costly but work better

11. Snot Rocket

Snot Rocket

No dumb questions, just dumb mistakes.

12. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

From Wiki; JIC fittings are dimensionally identical to AN (Aeronautical-Navy) fittings, but are produced to less exacting tolerances and are generally less costly.

Both JIC and AN use a 37 degree sealing surface. JIC and AN aren't mixed because aluminum expands differently than steel and repeated heat cycles will likely result in leakage. I wouldn't waste the money on AN fittings on a vehicle but that's just my opinion. Many people think they're pretty. Others try to save weight but you would have to be using lots of them to save much weight.

13. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

+1 That's exactly what I was going to write. I use JIC all the time. Which I buy online from Discount Hydraulics. I do mix in some False AN (Earls and some such) hose ends because they are so available. Or real AN stuff I got when it timed out sitting on a shelf at the airport.

14. RICK R 44

RICK R 44

I used a flexible grease gun hose to hook up a hydraulic clutch. they are available in 2 or 3 different lengths and have 1/8 NPT ends. They are good for about 3000 psi, more than adequate for a hydraulic clutch

15. Dane

Dane
    from Soquel, CA

16. tjd420

tjd420

Wow! Exactly what I wanted. This is why I love the Hamb. Thank you!

Sent from my HTCONE using H.A.M.B. mobile app